Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thank you Elleise! It will be a bit crazy for me the next 2 months. Two bridal showers, a week at the Pow-wow and my daughter's wedding is less than a month later. After a year of worry and 7 months fretting over whether all this would start happening sooner than later, I can't tell you how helpful everyone's information has been. Just knowing we should be able to get the wedding behind us before the "brown stuff" hits has been a true blessing for both me and the Bride.

My daughter knows a little of what's going on, but I've kept that to a minimum. She's already had one panic attack, the first in several years. She knows I'm doing my best to take care of what I can, so her worries are limited to me and the wedding.

I know I've mentioned this already, but it is important for us not to frighten our children with all this. Their vivid imaginations can run wild if provided even the least information of a possible crisis. I can be a "worry hound" at times, my daughter comes by it honestly and actually got a bigger dose.

We need to keep positive phrasing in our explanations. If your child asks why they need to learn how to make a fire, don't say "If you were out in the woods all alone..." Instead say, "If WE were out in the woods, you could help me."

Younger children will be excited with "experiments," learning and the sense of accomplishment. It's a great time to teach safety issues as well, while building a fire, or playing doctor. Most children are thrilled with the opportunity to say "LOOK what I did!"

With pre-teens and teens, we need to be really creative in how to engage them in a positive manner. You might think they are older and can handle further explanation and possible scenarios. This is true for some. However, this is also a time of life frought with acceptance, security issues, and sometimes helplessness. Applying the skills they need to learn to their current activities might be a good approach. Sports can be a good lead into learning first aid. If your teen is interested in cooking, challenge them to cook from scratch, or over a fire (with supervision). Sometimes the best way to engage a teenage mind is implying they probably can't do something. They so enjoy proving us wrong and can be oblivious to our use of reverse methods.

Pay attention to your children and their emotional state. In high school I did a science project comparing ESP capabilities between 1st and 9th graders using the cards with different symbols. The 1st graders beat the socks off the 9th graders. Younger children are more open-minded and prone to use their "gut" feelings. Sometimes their "logic" for an action can be so simple, it's astounding. Older children are more assimilated and tend to rely less on these instincts and abilities. However, my science project could have had different results. For some, the pre-teen and teen years are when "talents" can pop-up and develop rapidly. This happened with my daughter.

So many people feel "something." It's so heavy and pervasive, adults without abilities can sense it. Is it also affecting our children? Have you noticed changes in mood, behaviour, appetite, attention span? Granted, most will be normal changes, all kids go through phrases, and each child is unique. Keep a close eye on your children, and listen carefully to them. If a change is drastic or prolonged, address it thoroughly and as quickly as possible.

Keep an open mind, as this may not be something doctors can fix with therapy or a pill. As parents, we can establish and maintain open, honest communication. With love and empathy, reassure our children things will be alright.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Added another person to my network today, a friend I've known for years. As we talked, she mentioned having strange "urges" lately. Water and food storage, getting a boat, storing fuel for their generator, etc. BINGO! She's been feeling "IT" too.

My friend is very spiritual and open-minded. We had talked of my dreams years ago, so it was an easy topic to cover. They live in the country and have a well, but it needs repair. Must get our husbands together to address that soon.

Her Mother can grow anything, and lives near me! As soon as we get through the wedding, I'm thinking about hosting some get-togethers. Bring your gardening journal, enjoy some brownies and take notes!

My friend also mentioned wanting to learn about berries and wild plants. In the Spring, we can get a naturalist to take us on an outing in the woods. He has family in our area and we see him often. AND, he's already offered. With 3 generations of experience, he has been re-teaching Native Americans on indigeous plants and was adopted into the Tribe.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
LCP,

Thank you so much...VERY much for keeping us updated. There is a struggle and I have to admit I have it at times and it goes like this.

Urge...urge..sensing, pending, Urgent, prepare, listen, watch, tread with caution..........YEH ITS FRIDAY!!! WEeeee! The sun is out, I love life....tread with caution, prepare, watch, it's coming, store, prepare.

No exageration I go through that cycle these days minimum of three times a week. It is closer, but I have a neurotic side that wants to skip through the days and not think about it.
They gave me that option, mercifully when I was in my 20's. They say now, "Watch who comes into your life. Make those connections, prepare, plan, steady, steady. Be alert. It comes like a theif in the night."

See they (government) won't talk about it now, if ever, but the signs will be. They won't allow losing control via panic of the masses...not quite yet anyway. You will see more and more headlines of shootings and just crazy acts of violence. More and more civil issues, unrest, defensivism and angers will begin not only rising, but they will be encouraged, to keep votes of power in power, like "You need us to make sure your people get what they need..." something like that. The people will be distracted with pride.

The people in charge arean't done building what they are building so they have to stay in power, whatever the cost. Republicans wont be Republicans and Dems wont be Dems, they are all a part of the same thing.

Once this thing is done, all the people that went along with them will think they will be protected, that they are important and part of the club basically. The joke will be on them. They were used to campaign and will at that time be unnecessary. Some end up taking thier own lives and even having their lives taken from them.

As this thing comes to light, starts to fall apart and slightly just before when they finally realize what they have helped make happen, they will actually want to tell people...easy their conscience.

The people who will be protected or are protecting themselves, more accurately, won't allow it and it goes from there...The protecting are aready setting their end up so when this does hit, the chaos part, they will be on an island somewhere while the little people survive it or fall - either way, the people/masses, some fight it out among themselves. While the others that prepared, see it through and it goes well for them.

Something as simple as learning to collect rain water or melt and filter snow will help. But I am coming across people I haven't seen or heard from since college that didn't really have the same intuitive visoning mind set as myself and you know they have this look of just pensive unrest. Then I just talk with them and both people say, "I feel something coming. I just can't see it."

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 09/13/10 09:49 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Elleise, I do agree and already see an increase in feelings of betrayal from the government/administration. So much was promised with "silver tongue" and things have not improved, but worsened for many. In general, we're not patient people. It seems so many thought the new President would somehow bring instant changes. I remember seeing news footage right after the Presidential election. A woman was so excited and commented "I won't have to make my house payments!" What!?! Did she think the government was going to "adopt" her or something? I hope she still has her house, many don't.

People were caught up in the hype, and actually believed the politcal, rhetorical promises. Now they are feeling something is not quite right, not just with the President, but with many aspects of our government. The undercurrents are a little more noticeable.

I think many of us will be "crossing paths" with those we knew back when and this could be part of the plan. Establishing and Re-establishing connections is a big part of preparations and making it through.

"Pensive Unrest" what a perfect phrase! But well armed with information and empathy, we can each help someone move from this to forewarned and prepared.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Water is life for all carbon based life forms, and that includes us. Our bodies are something like 70% water and it needs to be replenished daily.

Elleise mentioned that if we are dehydrated, we can't eat but a little until we have some water, or it will further dehyrate our bodies. For so many of us, water is provided by our local government. However, when things get "hairy" we can't expect our water supply to not experience supply/quality problems. In any disaster, one of the first things rushed in is drinking water. Without adequate or clean supply, dehydration and disease sets in quickly.

Our country is already experiencing supply issues, not only in drought affected, but also high population areas. There is only so much fresh water and we're using it faster than the planet can filter and replenish the sources.

The aquifer our city taps has a high sulfur content and we've been filtering our drinking water for years with the filter pitchers. These are effective with sediments and sulfur, but I need to find out if they also work for other contaminants, such as bacteria and chemicals.

Water molecules attract contaminants released by industry and transportation. These toxins are up high in our atmosphere, but that's where the clouds form. Rain and snow clean the air and bring the "bad stuff" back down. Water is cleaned as it seeps through the ground by Mother Nature's filtration system.

Rain water and snow melt are not drinking water sources, unless adequately filtered/treated or in a dire emergency. However, they can be used for gardening and cleaning. Using non-potable water for these things can help our potable supply last longer.

There are groups all over the country promoting the use of rain barrels and cistern systems to capture rain water and use it for landscaping, gardening, and toilet flushing. It makes sense! Using treated drinking water for these needs is truly a waste of resources.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
If you use well water, having a few rain barrels might help your well last longer. If you use "city" water for gardening and landscaping, rain barrels could save you some money.

Here's some good websites with information on making rain barrels. Don't forget to copy/paste and add the www's.

swfwmd.state.fl.us/conservation/rainbarrel/
This website has info on collection rates based on roof size and rainfall amounts.

younghouselove.com/2009/03/how-to-make-a-rain-barrel/
The couple who have this website attended a workshop on making rain barrels. Good photos and information! They also had a good time.

naturalrainwater.com/make_rainbarrel.htm
The graphics on this website are hand drawn, but the information is good. There are a few other worthy links here and the information can be downloaded as a brochure.

rainbarrels.info
This website shows daisy-chained and larger systems. It also has information on supplies, filtration and some DIY videos.

ehow.com
Search for "Cisterns" and there are several DIY articles on construction and filtration

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
How you store drinking water is important. Resources used to make it safe for drinking are wasted if not stored properly.

DO NOT use containers that had milk in them! In an emergency, if thoroughly sanitized and the water will be consumed quickly (1 day), it might be OK, but is NOT recommended. It's too much of a bacteria risk, especially for young children, the elderly, and anyone with a compromised immune system.

Certain plastic containers can more easily leach chemicals into the contents, especially if heated. Use number 1 or 2 recyclable plastics for water storage, such as soda or water bottles. Clean thoroughly between each use with warm (not hot) water, and let them air dry completely. Keep them out of light and as cool as possible.

Plastics degrade with time and use, and that's when the "bad stuff" starts leaking out. This is excelerated with heat. If you have been saving plastic containers for an emergency, it would be a good idea to refresh your stock. After cleaning, mark the container with the month/year. As you prepare new ones, the older ones can be recycled. This will provide a safer supply for a longer period.

Generally we need 1 gallon per person per day for drinking and cooking. Another daily gallon per person for cleaning/toilet flushing. This is a good rule of thumb for short-term outages, such as with storms or water system repairs.

However, when we're planning for the long-term, these must be considered.
1. Proximity to your water source - you need to be close, you might be walking and water is heavy. Extended distance also poses security issues.
2. Reliability and Quality - will water always be there, safe or treatable?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
If you are fortunate to have a well, can it be used without electricity? If not, this needs to be addressed. A generator works, as long as your fuel lasts. What then?

Portable solar generators are an option. I've been looking at the one sold by Solutions from Science. The solar panel is mounted on a wheeled cart and connects to a battery based generator. There's not much output with this unit, but it can be used while the battery is charging. It's also sealed and self contained. It cannot be connected to other units and once the battery dies it's basically useless if not in sunlight. The projected battery life is only 6 years. With careful use, allowing the battery to deplete and recharge, you can extend its service. The company does have a larger model with solar panels to be mounted, and there is a 20 year warranty on the panels.

There are a few more companies with solar products. I'm looking for one which can be expanded (daisy-chained with multiple units) and has replaceable batteries. However batteries, even rechargable ones, don't last forever.

The other option for making your well water accessible in almost any conditions is a hand pump. This might be a costly addition to your system, but could prove well worth the investment during an extended power outage.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Actually, I hadn't read through your entire post and you're right, it can be operated without electricity. Maybe these things happen in my personal life so the information could help someone else someday?

When I was destitute, my own electricity was shut off. I was depressed and didn't look into how to get it turned on. My car wasn't working and I didn't have a phone so I had to hoof it into town and wasn't up for it.

Then, I had two wells. One had an electric pump, the other an old fashioned iron manual pump. The handle was really long and you had to crank or puch the pump up and down until a little water came out.

So, it is out there. They used them back in th 1800's. The water though had to be treated and tested for lead.

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 09/16/10 03:57 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Windmills and wind turbines are another option for powering wells, but only if you live in an area with sufficient and consistent wind. I've been told we don't, even with the tidal breezes.

In the next few days I'll be away from the forum for an extended period. I'm already 2 weeks behind schedule on several things, and need to get caught up.

We've had an amazing number of views on this and the companion topic. Can anyone help with posts or references on food preservation, i.e. canning, dehydration, smoking meats, making jerky, etc.? Helpful tips on personal safety and security? A list of items for a good first aid kit? How to make a fishing pole or net? How to make a trap for small game? Information on other common, but multi-purpose items?

I'm missing an important preparation/survival puzzle piece. It's been nagging, but hiding from me for weeks. Someone here has that piece. Please share, and we'll find it.

When dealing with scenarios for the future, complacency is an issue. My apologies for yet another hurricane example, but it does apply. Prior to Hurricane Hugo, the Charleston, SC area had not been hit by a major storm in several decades. For the locals, it was something their parents/grandparents had only told them about. For those who had moved to the coast in the interim, they were clueless. 6 years after the storm, we moved to an area in precisely the same situation.

The "locals" here, my age, were toddlers when the last major storm hit over 40 years ago. The media hasn't helped, forecasting complete destruction, and then we're only brushed by the storm's edge, or completely spared. I'm thankful for being spared, but also realize it promotes complacency. Since the 1960's, this county has doubled its population with people from all over the country and the world. So many are clueless what to do for a major storm, or any other crisis.

We are fortunate to have some information and somewhat of a time frame, although vague and general. But this can lead to procrastination and complacency. Life has gotten harder and busier. We're all spreading our resources as widely and thinly as possible. But we need to make time to be proactive, learn and do what we can now. Little things learned and done on a consistent basis add up quickly.

What can I learn This Week? What one little thing can I do This Week to plan or prepare? What one thing can I share here that might help someone else?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.