Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
I've been dating my boyfriend since June. I've known him for a few years, though, and really do love him dearly. But he can be really, really sickenly sweet. He says things that should make me think, "Aww, that's so cute/sweet/nice,etc," but they just make me roll my eyes or at worst, get defensinve.

I have been on my own longer than I've ever been with anybody, but I have not been idle. I keep busy and contentedly so. The years made me independant in mind and heart, as well as body. I don't feel like I need him like I feel like he needs me and it's making me nervous.

He says he's cool that, for humor and metaphor, I'm the "guy" in the relationship, but these knee jerk reactions I feel to things he says/texts, etc are alarming me. Shouldn't I have some sort of equal response to something like, "As long as you let me hold you hand," or, "I'll be there in no time."

He's just a lot needier than I am and I don't know how to blance it out without coming across like a completely heartless harpie.

So much more to write, but I won't want to post a novel. Any ideas/thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
k2y Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
From what you describe, it sounds to me like either the two of you aren't on the same page or maybe you just aren't prepared to make an emotional investment into the relationship at this time.

Perhaps the involuntary reactions that you are having to his comments and behavior could be a sign that this may not be the right guy for you. On the other hand, they could also be manifestations of fears or insecurities that you may have about allowing yourself to be vulnerable and potentially risk the sense of independence that you have gained during your time as a single woman.

What I would suggest is that you take some time to do a little soul searching. Analyze your feelings about him and about the relationship as objectively and as honestly as you possibly can. Think about why you got involved with him in the first place and try to determine whether or not you can genuinely see this relationship having long term potential in your life. Try to figure out if the issue you are having is really about your boyfriend or if it's just your way of trying to protect yourself from the possibility of heartbreak and disappointment. The more honest you can be with yourself, the more likely you will be to find the best possible solution.

Elephant
Elephant
That's great advice Kristina Dr. of Love! Everything you say is so true. Been there a few times and for me it was always the person wasn't right for me.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.