Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
There's not a single one of us that doesn't want to believe in a happy ending. We were raised on those. Whether it was a fairy tale or geneological break through.

Though those stand to inpire, they aren't always the ending or outcome each of us ends up livng through, but we're here and we're together and each of us though not living the perfect dream, may have a piece of a recipe - kind of like that fairy tale where no one in the town had any food, but a travelor who had nothing after asking for a small token and being turned away several times, turned it around and went to each house asking what they did have and ended up puting it all together in a giant town cauldren and ended up feeding everyone.

I wanted to start this forum in addition or extension of the "Visions of the Near Future" forum for preparation tips and reference guides.

I feel once that "feeling" begin getting stronger with the people, they will begin seeking less conventional means of information. they will eventually see they are being told what they want to hear and want to hear something that can actually help. Kind of like a mother's instinct.

So, if you do have any down to basics, simple things that help to prepare for interim halts of sutainability, please feel free to post here.

Right now. The first one I'll post is:

LEAR TO GARDEN. NOW - even if you don't have land. Get to know what flour is made of and how yeast works and preserve. Learn how to can and preserve and even cure.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks for adding this topic and providing a place for us to share tips and list/recommend resources.

We are completely spoiled with conveniences industry and technology have provided. It's hard to imagine living as they did in the 1800's. A while back someone emailed me an elementary school test from that era. I would have completely failed! Back then, people HAD to use their brain, rely on memory, each other, and keep journals. As Caulbearer11 stated in another topic, our brains will be our most valuable asset when our visions and dreams come to pass. Each of us needs to invest in this asset. But where do we start? This is perhaps the hardest part.

Wouldn't it be great if someone developed a multi-player/multi-level internet game based on a small rural community in 1898? Each player would have to learn to be self-sufficient, live off the land, and contribute to the community. That's a "farming" game I'd be interested in, if historically accurate. Much useful information could be gleaned while playing. I don't play this type of on-line game, but their set-up is a good analogy for facing the challenge of "Where do I start?"

When you sign up, you select a character. That's a good starting point. Ask yourself Who Am I? Who do I want to be? For me, I'm a survivor and want to be more thoroughly prepared, able to sustain myself and help others. I've got my Avatar!

These games initially provide a basic weapon/tool and you earn more as you progress through the levels. OK, What do I have in my home right now and how long would it last? That's a broad question. We're newbies on Level 1, categorizing may help.
As already suggested in the companion topic: Start with provisions for a week or two. Food, Water, Medicine and Hygiene. Consider safe/secure storage and transportability if you have to suddenly leave. What should I take? This will depend on transportation and transportability. It's like planning a camping trip, there's only so much room in the car, and you can't use a TV in the woods.

My house was partially looted after Hurricane Hugo and they took my cable TV box. I've never figured why someone would steal an item completely useless at the time and of little value in the future.

Level 1, Task 1 in this imaginary internet game: Take an inventory of what you have, Food, Water, Medicine, Hygiene, organize and secure it.

And if you want to play ahead to Task 2, review the hurricane preparation and check lists on websites for The Weather Channel, NOAA, and other news organizations. Preparing for a period of self-reliance is basically the same as preparing for a major storm and it's aftermath.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Preparing to evacuate your home is emotional, but not nearly as emotional as being ill-prepared. We're faced with the question "What must I leave behind?" Growing up in a materialistic age, having family items I want to pass on to my daughter, this question tears at my heart. Addressing it beforehand is one less thing to deal with in an emergency.

On the road, leaving before Hurricane Hugo struck, I realized all my daughter's baby things were left in the attic. It was all I could do to hold back the sobs. I knew the storm would be bad and hadn't slept for 2 days, helping others and preparing myself. With the possibility of my home destroyed, I was beyond emotionally frazzled. But this story had a happy ending. Although damaged, my little house was habitable and only partially looted. So many lost so much, homes, family treasures, and family members. I was both humbled and thankful, and felt guilty for being upset over baby clothes. After the storm, we dealt daily with the destruction. This compounded and extended the emotional weariness.

If you have been through a disaster or period of extreme hardship, you understand. The reason I share is for those truly blessed, who have not experienced something similar. Please don't be in denial, thinking this can't happen to me. There is no place on this planet immune to a disaster, be it natural or man-made. The only thing we can do is prepare, remain alert to potential dangers, and live each day to the fullest.

It might seem irrelevant if you don't live near the coast, but hurricanes can affect broad areas and millions of people. Their destruction includes damaging winds, flooding, tornados, and probably why there is so much preparation information. This can be applied to any evacuation scenario. What would you do if given 2 days to leave? How about 2 hours?

Each situation is unique and our response would be based on 2 factors: Why we are leaving, and the probability of returning to a habitable, safe home. However, the initial planning is exactly the same for any evacuation scenario.

Where do I go? How do I get there? What do I take?

Having your supplies organized/prepared, and the answer to these 3 questions completes Task 2 in our imaginary game.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Where do I go?
For a local/regional disaster, we get out of the affected area.
For a widespread/national crisis, we'll need to get out and away from large populations. Emergency response and resources will be overrun and exhausted in short measure. If we have established a network of friends and family, and made prior arrangements, we'll have a place to go.

How do I get there?
Forget any type of public transportation. In a time of crisis, it will be unreliable and probably not safe. If you don't have personal transportation, find someone in your network who does and who you trust. Be ready when they arrive, or to get to them quickly.

What do I take?
This depends on why you have to evacuate, whether you'll be able to return in resonable time, and space available. You may be surprised how much can be crammed into a gym bag in 5 minutes, but you also have to carry it. Versatile, sturdy clothing, high protein snacks, a small blanket, first aid kit, multipurpose tool (Leatherman or good Swiss Army knife) and water bottles can prepare and sustain you for a few days travel. Many have made it through a crisis with much less.

If space is available, increase water, food, medical supplies and include a hand crank radio/flashlight, matches and personal defense items.

A good "bug-out" bag should be sturdy, weather resistant, and easy to carry. Dress for safety and in layers. Protective footware with socks is imperative.

Please add if I've missed something important. It's late.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
In any crisis, communication is of great importance. But unfortunately, it's one of the first resources to be overrun and diminished. Please don't plan on cell phones being of any use.

If there is possible/probable threat of a terrorist attack, cell phone service will be automatically cut off for the entire country. This is a safety precaution as cell phones can be used to trigger bombs.

In a weather emergency, towers and circuits are damaged and overloaded. It will be very hard to get through. After Hurricane Hugo, it took me 8 hours to reach a neighbor to confirm my house was still there. I was using a landline.

Diminshed communication is the primary reason for making prior arrangements for a place to go. Find and confirm your safe place, and inform those who need to know. Working these things out now allows for a quick response. While others are scrambling, you can already be on your way.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
There are a few alternatives to cell phones that can provide much needed communication during a crisis and use a variety of power sources.

Ham radios can provide for local and wide-range communication. The range is based on output and antenna capabilities. Ham radio operators have assisted with many disasters, and there are clubs across the country. If interested, but can't find a group, contact your local Fire/Rescue. If there is one, they will have the information.

CB Radios are a good alternative for local communication. But there is a security issue. As teens, we played a CB game called Fox and Hound. The "Fox" would hide and give clues to their location over the CB. The "Hounds" would consider the clues, but also measure the transmission strength to gauge their proximity and determine direction to the Fox's CB radio. If you want to be secluded, talking on a CB can give away your location. However, you can always listen in privacy for useful information.

CB radios come in all sizes and with a variety of power sources. Hardwired units, vehicle mounted, and hand-held units with rechargeable batteries, or plugs for car battery power. Antenna range is important, so consider an upgrade if shopping. I have a hand-held 40 channel Cobra model with a magnetic base antenna, powered by auto power port or cigarette lighter. The range is about 30 miles.

Two-way radios are another communication resource, not the cell phones with 2 way capabilities. These use cell towers for transmission and won't work if service is cut off. Range is much lower with these two-way units, but they could be useful when traveling in a group with several vehicles.

If family/friends still have land line phones, include a written list of their number and address in your wallet. All phones have memory now and we seldom have to actually dial a number. Don't rely on anything electronic to store this information.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I agree. And, I'm greatful for all of your help and tips. I see things but it's fast. I'd know what to do if it were just me, but puting it out there for everone else is a bit different. I have organizational issues, lol.

People will need something other than cell. See, I see something happening here in the near, say 4 years, maybe 5 1/2, but it's not the thing that happens where the cell and utilities are down, that's much later.

But I do see panic and groccery stores unreliable. That is more in the near future. Thanks for helping smile
)

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
During a crisis, personal safety and self defense can be an issue. I remember watching the news in the wake of Katrina and hearing gunfire in the back ground. This issue grows more pressing as the crisis period continues and intensifies. Security can be a need experienced within only a day or two. With our current rate of unemployment not subsiding, there are many who have little. Their supplies may be destroyed, stolen, or used up within a short time.

Would you place yourself in danger to provide for your children? What would you do to protect your child from danger? These are HARD questions that need to be considered, in the hopes facing them now may lead to solutions which can prevent these circumstances.

Each of us is "hardwired" with the Flight or Fight response. If you can't flee from a danger, you'll have to fight. Are you prepared to defend yourself, family and property?

There are many proposed regulations for weapons pending, in spite of the recent court victory in Chicago and our 2nd Amendment Right. The current administration has granted authority for things usually voted on by Congress to various agencies. New regulations by these agencies may be in place before we know what's going on. States are also enacting regulations.

If you have the means, please take care of this as soon as possible. Which ever modes of self defense you choose, become proficient with them.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Today is the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Over 1800 people died in New Orleans. People drowned, were killed by debris, some died of dehydration, starvation, and untreatable health issues. Others were murdered. Thousands lost their homes and all possessions. WHY? They knew the storm was bad and headed toward them. They knew they lived in areas subject to flooding. They knew the levees were not well maintained. Or Did They? Why weren't they paying attention and acting responsibly?

This was not widely reported, but there is proof of its accuracy. The President's staff worked feverously to get the Governor and Mayor started on evacuations. Fema was activated, troops and supplies were prepared, as the White House waited on the Governor's authorization. I have no clue why the Governor and Mayor of New Orleans delayed. I remember this vividly, news video showing the death and suffering at the Dome and another shot of a flooded parking lot FULL of school buses. Why were these not used to get people to safety?

Think about Mississippi. Several towns along the coast were obliterated, people died. How much news coverage was on this area? Why the difference? Yes, New Orleans has more people and therefore more losses, but I think that is not the only difference.

I'm not being political here, there is an important point. We cannot rely on our leaders, local/state/federal in a crisis or disaster. We cannot allow ourselves to live in the Fairy Tale, the government will take care of everything. The Hard Truth - They Can't! They Won't!

Each of us is free to choose, but personal responsibility walks hand-in-hand with that freedom. I refuse to turn over my personal responsibility to the pipe dream government will provide for me. In doing so, I relinquish the freedom to take care of myself and my own. I accept my responsibility and I'm acting on it.

In this week's news coverage of Katrina's anniversary, there was a report on the "Great Wall of New Orleans," a 20+ foot reinforced concrete wall, a few miles long to protect against storm surge. The reporter asked an engineer what the locals thought about it. Her response, most of them don't know about it. WHAT?

Sooo, people returned to the area, repaired, rebuilt and continue to remain clueless about measures to protect them in the future. They survived Katrina and still live in the Fairy Tale?

Will you accept personal responsibility and be prepared to travel quickly to your safe place, with resources for at least a few days? Or will you be on a rooftop, or down in a cellar with no food/water, no means to protect yourself, waiting to be rescued? More HARD questions. Tackling them now prepares us mentally and physically for when they must be answered.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I do apologize for all the hurricane references. It's the major disaster I survived. I've been working on a brochure about preparations for work, and with 2 in the Atlantic right now, it's that time of year. I have Hurricane on the Brain! I need to step back from HARD questions for a bit. I struggle with them too.

Most of us know about networks and even if we don't call it that, have our family and/or group of friends we help out and share with. These groups are a tremendous asset. There is strength in numbers, not to mention support, additional supplies, knowledge, etc.

We've used the word so much, and it's really a simple concept. Establishing a network is basically making new, good friends. Let's face it, the "cliques" in high school, exist in society as well. Some kids remain in a single clique, other kids have friends in several and can move easily from one to another. Others are in social limbo, with no clique accepting them.

In high school I moved easily between several cliques. But it was different in college, I was in social limbo. So I made friends with others in limbo, and we joked about creating our own "Greek" group named Anti-Soriety Students. Can you imagine a Frat house with those letters? Any little thing in common can be the basis of a network/friendship.

Service organizations, like Rotary, Lions Club, Booster Clubs, the list is long. These are organized networks with officers and managers. Your family is the network you're born or adopted into and it's organized, i.e. grown-up table, kid's table. Your friends are probably the most unstructured network, but there's generally a leader when the need arises. Who calls everyone and gets the ball rolling when a friend needs some help?

To be in a network, you have to contribute something, dues, volunteer hours. It's exactly the same, to have friends you have to be one. But Caulbearer11 made an excellent point in the companion topic. You may not think you have anything to offer, or contribute, but a good network manager will recognize your value and put it to use. Each of us is valuable in different ways.

Many of us grew up in small towns. Our extended family was fairly close, we knew most if not all our neighbors and everyone knew our parents. Sadly, things are different now. I still live in a small town, but have only met 4 of my closet neighbors. I'm ashamed to say we only greet each other. My "friend" network is pretty spread out, and that can be a good thing. My family is very spread out! Kid and parents all in different states. I need to work on my local network.

For over a year, Elleise has been advising us to "grow" not just food, but networks. This is one preparation with immediate benefits. Get involved in something you enjoy and make some new, good friends.

Last edited by lcp012586; 08/29/10 11:26 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.