logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
lwisz Offline OP
OP Offline
L
It would be nice to see more posts specifically for Mexican Food that is typical from the Mexican State of Sonora. An example: Chiles Rellenos. I have not seen Chiles Rellenos in any Mexican Restaurant that are not battered and fried. Really, they don't have to be and the way that I grew up having them is much healthier and great tasting!

Last edited by lwisz; 07/13/10 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
Yummy. One of my favorites. It's easy, delicious, cheap and healthy, too. Over the years, I have tweaked my way of making them. Are you looking for a recipe or got your own?

T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
Well, people are reading, so I will go ahead and offer my recipe for Chile Relleno.

I live in the Sonoran Desert and this way of making them is common here.

First off, it's not complicated at all, it's inexpensive. One time and you will be a pro.

Find either Serrano or Hatch Green chiles in your store's produce section.

About chile: All chiles have different "hotness" from year to year depending on the weather, rains. So I will tell you how to check that.

Wash the chile, leave the tops on. Make a split on one side of the chile, the entire length of the chile.

Touch your finger to your mouth and taste a seed to determine if they are too spicy for you. If so, take a spoon and remove the seeds,
that is where most of the heat is. (I always take a few seeds, anyway, dry them, and plant them in my garden).

WARNING! Some types of chiles can be so hot that rubber gloves are required to handle them to prevent being blistered. You would NEVER touch your face after handling those. I ALWAYS wear gloves when handling hot chiles for Christmas tamales.

Take out a small cookie sheet (I use a pizza pan) and cover with foil.

Start the broiler after you have placed a rack closest to th broiler coils.

Pour a small amount of cooking oil into your hand and lightly coat each pepper.

Place the peppers under the broiler and watch them until they become blistered and dark brown. Do their other side.

Take the cookie sheet out of the broiler and immediately slide it into a grocery paper bag and seal the bag closed with a clip.

They need to stay in the sack about an hour.

After an hour, remove the peppers, and gently remove all the skin. It will come off easily. Store these peppers in a covered bowl.

These peppers are now ready to be used to make relleno, mexican cornbread, topped on a burger, or in green corn tamale, etc, and will stay fresh in the the fridge for about a week.

To prepare Relleno batter:

Separate eggs placing whites in one bowl and yolks in another. Crack as many eggs as rellenos you are making.

Beat the whites till stiff.

Salt and pepper the yolks to your taste. Add enough flour to the yolks to thicken, but not so thick that you won't be able to gently fold the yolk into the egg white.

Heat your skillet, lightly oiled. It should not be too hot, just hot enough to lightly brown while cooking thru.

Now, you have a skillet ready and the yolks folded into the whites.

Take out your peppers and stuff them with jack cheese, slices about the size of your index finger.

Put a mound of egg white (about half the size of a saucer) onto the skillet, immediately place the stuffed pepper into the egg white, and immediately cover the pepper with egg white from that mound. You can cook as many as your skillet will hold.

You turn them once, after they become golden brown.

Tho they are best, hot and fresh, they also reheat nicely (if you are careful), and can be made into burros, or even a sandwich.

I
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I
Thank you for sharing this recipe, I will certainly try it. Coating the chile in the batter in the pan sounds a bit tricky but I won't know until I have done it myself.

Isabel Hood
Mexican Food
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
The Hatch chiles are in and they are really large this year. I had the exact problem about coating the top, so I just covered the top of the chile with additional egg white mixture. They came out fine.

Some day I'm going to fool around and stuff the chile with thin sliced ham, or pimento, or anything else that sounds good to me. No Rule Rellenos. lol

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.