Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
T
I'll try to be brief and tell you what is going on.

In the 1950's President Eisenhower signed an Executive Order to federally protect the Oak Flat lands of Arizona from ever being developed or mined.

Oak Flat is a wonderous wildland, with soaring cliffs, year-round water, and also contains a place revered by the Apache. It has never been soiled. It belongs to ALL Americans, and the wildlife that have depended on it's water for thousands of years.

When Gov.Janet Napolitano went to DC to become head of Homeland Security, a temporary replacement inherited her job till the next election: Az. Sec. of State Jan Brewer.

Jan Brewer used her new temporary position to make a deal with two foreign mining companies to buy this protected land.

(The people of Arizona had no vote on the matter.)

The only way to do that was with the approval of the US Congress.

Enter Sen. John McCain. He has quietly taken this opposed land "swap", renamed it "The Southeastern Land Trade and Conservation Act", slipped it into a bill containing 30-odd other environmental changes, and got it passed thru the US Senate.

The only thing lacking is a signature of a President.

These two foreign mining companies, BHP and it's partner have horrendous environmental records spanning the globe.

It hurts to see the people of the United States, (and Arizona) losing federally protected and sacred land because crooked politicians play secret games

Short-sighted, short-termed individuals are going to destroy an area untouched for tens of thousands of years - so they can create a couple of hundred jobs for a few decades.

THIS IS YOUR LAND.

Also, the World needs to know that the Az Immigration Reform Law is the doing of the Az Legislature and Jan Brewer. We never voted for that. So, please stop being mad at the people of Az. WE DIDN'T DO IT.

Anybody know anyone who can help save Oak Flat? or how to write the President and ask him not to sign it over?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
T
The two notorious mining companies are: Rio Tinto and BHP.

Please help stop this pollution of land that belongs to us all.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I would go public - more than just here. I'd get loud and look up news tips...you know I have something somewhere. They are email addresses of news casters.

I'd also look up how to get a petition going. I've seen some even come across by email, asking me to sign. I read through them and then decide.

Here's the link to the email addresses for the news people. I would type up a very nice, short, specific, as informative with the least amount of words and bulk send it to all of the news stations. Don't leave any of them out because you don't know who's desk it wll end up running by. Some of these may be outdated. But, it's a start.

News Links

I am suprised sometimes by the people who are willing to take the information I have or that at least tell me what information that Ineed to get for them in order to move forward.

Also, I've not heard that alot of people are mad at AZ. We're hearing many are forced to agree with needing some type of immigration reform. I say open the borders, but everyone pays taxes, no freebies. Don't think that'll take off though.

Hope this other information helps a bit smile

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 07/27/10 07:02 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
T
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
T
That is ONE GREAT LIST! Thank you! I saved it. I recognize that some aren't current, like Tim Russert, who has died.

There was a column about John McCains' very poor environmental records, "Cowardly, Greedy John McCain" in the NY Times, by Paul Krugman. It was reprinted in my local paper today.

So wrote Paul Krugman about Oak Flat. Then! THEN! I wrote the President!

The San Carlos Apaches have had a visit from the Suits in DC about this. I had a friend attend since I wasn't up to the hike.

He said that the tribe was so gentle and polite as they showed the Suit the herbs they need from Oak Flat, and so polite and respectful as they explained how sacred this land is to them, and that the Suit looked bored.

As far as everyone being mad at us: There is a real boycott going on of Az, the city of L.A. wouldn't even let it's police come to the conference here this month. The State of CA is boycotting us. Teams won't come play, Conventions cancelled, bands cancelling tour dates.

And, the news I read around the world makes it sound like the citizens of Az. voted for the bill.

We do have a huge problem with illegal entry and drug smugglers and something has to be done.

But, the bill pushed thru makes it 'suspicious' to have dark hair or skin, or an accent. And that is not right.

Thank you again for the list!

Moderated by  Farjana_Environment_Ed 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/11/24 04:36 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.