logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Building on others work is an accepted and essential part of working in IT, claiming others work is unethical and often illegal. My latest article looks at Plagiarism in the Computer Field

Check it out and let me know where you draw the line between plagiarism and acceptable use of prior art.

Julie

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I know course material that I have written (for courses that I teach) have been photocopied and are being used by others who are competing against me for business.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

In computing we aim for standardisation, i.e. programs look and work the same (at least we do now), but someone originally invented that way of working and did the design.

There was a court case in the very early days of PCs after someone copied the idea of the pull down menu bar along the top of the screen (same as you can see now on your browser) That was invented by Lotus for their 1-2-3 spreadsheet and they took copiers to law.

Another example is the MS-Windows 'recycle bin' that came in when IBM & Microsoft were developing the OS/2 GUI for PCs (that MS later called Windows NT) -- they copied Apple's 'waste bin'* but had to rename it because of legal fears.

*can't remember now whether Apple calls it waste bin or trash can or ...

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Peter - Do you think that the common attempt to make things seem easy to use due to a familiar look and feel or interface leads to people in the field taking intellectual property less seriously?

Julie

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

That's a deep question smile

On balance I don't think so because programs are subject to scrutiny and commercial programs and companies are aware of copyright laws, protecting their own intellectual property and ensuring they don't infringe others.

A new generation brought up on the web, encouraged to interact with facebook, twitter and blogs and empowered by cut'n'paste to fill them with images have the belief that they can take anything for free - pictures, words, movies, music -- and it is their 'right'.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
This continues to be an issue. Here's a couple more articles I've found elsewhere about plagiarism in the IT field:

Is 2010 The Year of the Plagiarized Security Book by Ben Rothke

and

(More)(Massive) Plagiarism in Security Books by Wesley McGrew

Julie

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
There is at least one company that have on Amazon hundreds of 'books' which are nothing more than straight 'cut'n'pastes' from Wikipedia.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Tiger
Tiger
And no one has done anything about this? Unbelievable!

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
The cut and paste Wikipedia books are actually legal because of the licensing on Wikipedia the way the books are attributed, but given the prices, it's just a slimy way of making money off people.

The people claiming to have written security books that they didn't are getting their reputations trashed. In the case of the one real publisher (versus self-published) involved in plagiarized security books, the person who provided the plagiarized content was also the technical editor who was responsible for making sure that all content was original. They republished the whole book and made the new version of that section available free online as well.

Julie

Tiger
Tiger
Glad to hear this. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: Julie - Computer Careers
The cut and paste Wikipedia books are actually legal because of the licensing on Wikipedia the way the books are attributed, but given the prices, it's just a slimy way of making money off people.

The people claiming to have written security books that they didn't are getting their reputations trashed. In the case of the one real publisher (versus self-published) involved in plagiarized security books, the person who provided the plagiarized content was also the technical editor who was responsible for making sure that all content was original. They republished the whole book and made the new version of that section available free online as well.

Julie

Moderated by  Maria - Computer Careers 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.