Next Thread
Print Thread
#605896 06/19/10 07:39 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I had this problem for YEARS. Just too much email to deal with. Not even spam - I have several anti-spam programs running and they help a lot. Simply too much email PERIOD.

Do you have this problem? How do you cope?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Here's what I did.

First, unsubscribe from anything that wasn't necessary. It was hard sometimes, but any random newsletter, newsgroup summary, etc. - I ruthlessly unsubscribed from it. I can always resubscribe later when things are better. For now, drastic action is a must.

Next, I set up "rules" in Outlook. I'm sure most mail packages have this. Auto file anything you have to get - like bank statements - into a folder. That way you get them, and they're there when you need to look at them. They don't fill up your inbox. Even just a small reduction in inbox stuff to go through is a HUGE help.

Next, look into getting a Virtual Assistant. They can be VERY inexpensive and a HUGE help. Have someone take over key topics for you. So for example if I get inundated with press releases at my company, I can have all of those go to PressRelease@xxxxxx.com. They now go to a virtual assistant who processes them. It can really make life SO much easier.

What types of issues do you face with email?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I know I need to be more ruthless about mailing lists. Every time I think I've taken myself off extraneous lists i find there are more things filling up my inbox. Often they are things I was very into at one time, and find I am no longer a huge fan or anymore.

It's important to re-assess one's interests and see if they've changed. Just because a list was useful to me once, does not mean I have to still be a subscriber.

it makes me feel a little sad, somehow. Weird huh?

S
S
Yeah, I too get 7 to 8 mails a day plus the ones from the social networking sites. If you, too, are a member of sites like orkut, facebook, twitter, etc. and if you visit your profile daily, then you can turn off the notifications from these sites. Although, I visit my profile daily but I prefer the notifications because in case I have less time, its easy for me to check my mails, rather than opening other websites. :)

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I create a temporary folder where I move all emails that are of less important or, those I want to look at later on, such as, movie and book updates. I sort out specific mails with the option "sort out".

L
Shark
Shark
L
One reason I love gmail is that I can archive everything I think there's the slightest chance I might want to look at again. I've been doing that for a couple of years now, and am now using a whole 7% of my allotted storage space. With archiving, I don't absolutely have to make that hard decision to unsubscribe. I can even set a filter to "skip the inbox" for mail from certain senders--it goes right to archive. I can find it if I want to...but chances are I won't, and it will never clog up my inbox.

I've also seen a tip to never leave something in your inbox as a reminder to do a task, but I don't do so well at that.

Moderated by  Allison_PCAdvice 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.