logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
H
I think what most youngsters fail to consider is that a tattoo is for life and something they like now they probably won't in 10 years time. I wanted a tattoo from the age of 14 but I waited until I was 22. Over the years I designed numerous tattoo designs all around the same theme until there was one that I just kept coming back to. If I'd have got the first design I had at 14 (which I bloody loved at the time) I would hate it now.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
It's often hard for parents to prevent it. A teenager can just come home with it already done. I think the people who do them should check ID and refuse minors, but then that doesn't address the issue of all the people doing it "bootleg."

~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
I think the number of states making firm laws and enforcing them is slowly working to put the "under the table" artists out of work. Especially when tattooing teens carries misdemeanor charges and fines.

Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: holly85
I think what most youngsters fail to consider is that a tattoo is for life and something they like now they probably won't in 10 years time. I wanted a tattoo from the age of 14 but I waited until I was 22. Over the years I designed numerous tattoo designs all around the same theme until there was one that I just kept coming back to. If I'd have got the first design I had at 14 (which I bloody loved at the time) I would hate it now.

You were smart. I wanted one in my early years as well but I waited until I was 22 before I got my first one. My daughter wanted one as a dedication to her grandfather's memory, so when she turned 18, I went with her and she got one on her thigh (anchor with Grandpa written over it). He was a Navy man.

I have several now and will venture on to get more. tats are like potato chips, you can't stop at just one!!

Proud Pagan
A
A
I don't think it's really anyone's fault other than the piercer. I mean, they should verify how old someone is. Then again, I've been to places that allow you to get pierced as young as 16.. which is a bit strange to me.

Last edited by abejareina; 09/07/10 10:23 AM.
Gecko
Gecko

If you are under 18, you need to provide a parent with proof not just some random adult you met off the street- that will sign consent for either a piercing or tats.

Proud Pagan
~ Rae ~ Offline OP
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Originally Posted By: Maureen- Home Improvement

If you are under 18, you need to provide a parent with proof not just some random adult you met off the street- that will sign consent for either a piercing or tats.

That's not a valid blanket statement, Maureen. Regulations are going to vary with the location where you are getting the body mod done (laws in the US are by state and sometimes county) and piercings above the neck are sometimes ruled differently.

While I mostly agree with the view that minors should wait until they're older to decide to get a tattoo, I find it a little bit of a generalisation. I'm seventeen and got my first tattoo when I was sixteen and a half. It's most likely the only tattoo i'm ever going to get, and I believe that I got it for good reason. In Australia the law is that if you are under 18, you need to get a form called a statutory declaration which needs to be signed by both a parent or guardian and a justice of the peace. Even then, if you take it to a parlor they're well within their rights to refuse you. I got my tattoo, which is a small ribbon and initials on my ankle because a close family member of mine passed away at a young age, and it was always something that he wanted to do. I believe it was the right decision for me and I don't regret it at all. That being said, there are people I know who are roughly the same age as me who have gotten tattoos that i'm sure they'll regret later on. I'm just putting my two cents in, but I guess what i'm trying to say is that while in general I don't believe that minors should be allowed to get tattoos whenever they choose, it should be decided on a case by case basis and there are other things to consider. (:

Last edited by LisforLucy; 09/28/10 07:07 AM.
Gecko
Gecko
My 17-year-old son has wanted a tattoo since he was 13. I have always wanted one. On the day of his 17th birthday, myself, my son and my husband went to a very reputable tattoo shop and had a family tattoo done. I was 46 and my husband 57 - all of us were first timers. We did henna our tattoos first about a month prior to check the design, placement and just how we'd like a tattoo.

It has been a year and we are all planning for our next (and very different) tattoos. I believe in this situation my son was prepared for his tattoo. I can also see how some young adults may not yet truly be ready for this very permanent art.

Most important to me with my son's circumstance was to be sure he wanted the design; understood the permanency and that he did NOT go to an "under the table" shop.

Chef Catherine Bridges
Sandwiches @ Bellaonline
Mom, wife, chef and writer!
don't think most people 18 really know what they want. A tattoo is a lifetime commitment

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.