#591249 03/17/10 02:54 PM
K
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
K
Let me start by saying I am an animal person. I have had dogs in the past as a child, but I am more of a cat person. We had two cats for 10 years and lost one late last year. So this is not a rant about the dog, but rather the dog's owners.

My backyard is full of their dog's poop!

We live in a townhouse complex with small, strategically placed "privacy fence" sections. In 8 years, we have had 8 different neighbors. While I have never actually SEEN their dog going to the bathroom in our yard, the problem started after they moved in.

My question is this: What is the proper way for me to address this situation with our neighbors? We barely know them, even though they have been next door for at least 6 months. The snow covered this issue up for the winter, but with the thaw, I can now see how bad it really is.

I don't want to start World War III with these people, but I don't want to have to clean up after a pet that is not mine all summer. I can hear the woman screaming at her 3 year old through the wall all the time, and have heard her use some pretty bad language when she's yelling at her. I don't relish the idea of being on the receiving end of her wrath.

As far as I can tell, they don't put their dog on a leash, so he wanders over to our yard on his own. The dog is older and blind, which we found out when they moved in.

What is the proper way to handle this issue? Do I have to actually talk to them about it? Can I leave them a note? What should I say?

Thanks so much!

Kim Kenney
BellaOnline Museums Editor
My Museum Ebooks

"Seek those who find your road agreeable, your personality and mind stimulating, your philosophy acceptable, and your experiences helpful. Let those who do not, seek their own kind." -Jean-Henri Fabre
Sponsored Post Advertisement
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Go and talk with the property manager in the office of the complex. Tell them of your concerns and they will handle it from there. There is probably a leash requirement there and they will send a letter to the neighbors about the situation.

It would also be better if you actually saw the dog doing it but let the office know that the problem started when they moved in.

Last edited by Vance, Bellaonline Editor; 03/17/10 04:05 PM.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
S
S
Since you might be concerned about your neighbor's reaction, I would start by writing a friendly note to let them know your concerns. Since you probably know their address put it in the mail to avoid confrontation at their door. Most likely their is a leash law in effect for your area but even if there is none this is a nuisence for you and they should be made aware of it. Make a copy of your note and if there is continued waste in your yard call or stop by the police station with the note that you wrote. Ask to remain anonymous to the neighbor and explain the situation and ask for their help. Good luck with this.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Do you rent or own the townhouse? If they are rental units and there is a complex manager office on the property, talk to them to get their advice - like Vance said, they should take it from there. If you own the townhouse then it is up to you to speak with the neighbor's or their landlord or contact the complex association.

You could gather the dog messes in a plastic bag and put it on their doorstep - but, that I am sure would cause a lot of problems that would be ongoing.

I think the best thing to do is give the neighbor's a chance of being GOOD neighbor's and knock on their door, introduce yourself and let them know your concern and ask if they could please keep their dog out of your private yard. Make a note of the date and time you spoke with the neighbor, their name and keep that handy. If they continue to let the dog do it's business in your yard, then contact the complex manager, or appropriate persons(animal control, maybe) with a copy of your notes.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 03/17/10 11:22 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
I almost thought Phyllis was going to suggest a bag on the doorstep of the aflame brownpaper variant... Oh, those carried-away practical jokes of yesteryear.

Addressing the situation in a 'neighborly' manner mentioned above could yield benefits, but if it doesn't you'd have a diary of events.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
Now I would not be that mischievious, Beetle - although it is a good idea!

Kim, just be as polite as you can when approaching the neighbor. Maybe they will come over and pick up the leavings themselves. Also, mention the leash law of your city and the rules of the complex and that you would "hate to see their dog arrested or see them get a citation".

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain

Moderated by  Decorum-Is-Key Lisa 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.