logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#585186 02/18/10 08:40 PM
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
There are many beautiful roses amongst those that are generally termed "old fashioned roses". Some have the drawback of only flowering in spring although here we are spoilt by the continual flowering of modern hybrids, which is a behaviour we now expect of roses. Some old roses do flower in spring and summer. One such group is that of the Hybrid Musk roses, which can give a spectacular display and are beautifully scented. We have a row of the Hybrid Musk "Penelope" in our garden and if we ever move, I'm going to plant some again - I wouldn't want to be without them. They're one of a series bred by the Rev. Joseph Pemberton in the early years of the last century ("Penelope" dates from 1922). They are larger and more spreading than a modern bush rose, so you need to plant them about six feet apart and, because of their arching habit, you prune them to an upward facing rather than an outward facing bud. The flowers are a sort of peachy/creamy colour and fade to white as they age. They have a lovely scent and make good cut flowers. Here's a picture of one I found on the 'net:

And a link to a web page about them: http://www.rosegathering.com/hybridmusks.html

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
Happy to know the facts about Musk "Penelope". You told about the need of pruning. But I faced a great problem after pruning hybrid roses. They started to rot. I used the chemicals to stop this but didn't work. Any suggestion?

Sarina

I love organic gardening

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.