Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27
M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
I haven't seen anything in person, but have seen his work in books. Phenomenal artist. Wasn't most of his work done as engravings?

Michelle Roberti
Folklore and Mythology
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Michelle, it looks like Durer is well known for both his paintings and his printmaking. He started off in his early years doing drawings (one of his first was a self portrait at 13). Between the ages of 19 and 23, he "wandered" around the country, a German apprenticeship, while he studied with other artists, learned new styles, and still did paintings. During this period, Durer traveled to Strassbourg, where he would have experienced the sculpture of Nikolaus Gerhaert and this is when he painted his self-portrait in oil.

He returned home at 23, had a prearranged marriage and left, alone, again 3 months later due to the plague in Nurembourg. He made watercolor sketches as he traveled over the Alps working with nature which can be seen from accurate landscapes of real places in his later works, for example his engraving "Nemesis". In Italy, he went to Venice to study its more advanced artistic world. Through Wolgemut's tutoring, D�rer had learned how to make prints in drypoint and design woodcuts in the German style, based on the works of Martin Schongauer and the Housebook Master.

As I looked at some of his works, it appeared that he did alot of paintings before he really got into woodcuts, engravings and etchings, but he still continued to paint. I found a book that listed 300 complete woodcuts of Durer's (although some of them looked like they could have been engravings, too). Many of them use the same base cut wood for numerous pictures, however. I haven't located any kind of total that would indicate how many paintings he did, but I will keep looking.

Pretty interesting stuff. The third child between 14 and 18 children in a family and he never had a child himself. Such a shame. A brilliant artist.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
What is the name of this and who did it? Any guesses?

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Okay, here is a hint. This is a woodcut done by a German artist in 1493. Since we were talking about woodcuts vs. etchings and engravings, I thought this would be an interesting example of a woodcut. wink

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
The woodcut print is about dancing. Does anybody have any clue what the name might be?

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Skeletons dancing. Hmmm. I dont' know.

Camille Gizzarelli
Bellaonline.com Art Appreciation Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I studied Albrecht Durer in an Art History class years ago and was fascinatied with his works. I did several essays on him and his woodcuts and paintings. He quickly became one of my favorites. Unfortunately, I have never seen his works in person, only in books. I did quite a good essay on his "Wander Years".

Dancing skeletons? This is a tough one. I have never seen anything like this one.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 02/20/10 03:37 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
While I was researching Albrecht Durer, I noticed that alot of his works were published in Hartmanm Schedel's Chronicle of the World (Nuremberg, 1493). That is where I came across The Dance of Death (1493) by Michael Wolgemut. Dance of Death, also variously called Danse Macabre (French) or Danza Macabra (Italian and Spanish), is a late-medieval allegory on the universality of death: no matter one's station in life, the dance of death unites all.

La Danse Macabre consists of the personified death leading a row of dancing figures from all walks of life to the grave, typically with an emperor, king, youngster, and beautiful girl�all skeletal. They were produced to remind people of how fragile their lives and how vain the glories of earthly life were. The earliest example of this kind of art was done in 1424 from a frescoed cemetery at the Church of Holy Innocents in Paris.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Trish, thanks for sharing an interesting story.
Death is certainly a universal subject.

Camille Gizzarelli
Bellaonline.com Art Appreciation Editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Here's another painting on the same subject, but done with a different medium. Who can name the artist and the title?

Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27

Moderated by  Art Appreciation 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 06:17 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.