logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
O
I love my ratties :) I have TEN now. I took two other boys from my cousin yesterday(just to foster though, because eight is really my max) but I had 20 sometime last year. They are wonderful pets, and I like that they are quiet haha. My dogs barking annoys me so much I trained MY dog to not bark. My eight permanent rat kids are a group of males and a group of females, plus one lone rat who won't warm up to anyone even after a year of trying :( I have yet to meet a truly mean rat that didn't come from a bad situation, though.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
That is an excellent point, ratties are quiet and charming. You don't have to walk them in freezing weather, use a little plastic gizmo to clean up after them, they don't hog all the blankets - big thing with me today...I froze to death last night - fuzzy animal had the whole down comforter under her!

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Welcome to the group Olly - we all get along great here. We have a real friendly group. We can all get ahold of Diana pretty much day or night. We all love our animals. I obviously love skunks. I think rats are pretty special too. Just by reading some of the old post I think Diana likes just about every animal, would probably have every animal if she could fit them all in her house. Stick around I think you will like it here.

R
R
I am on record as a new, completely transformed rat dad. A year ago we still had no idea rats were about to happen to us. Our first, Cassie, the ambassador rat arrived here on March 5. We had just enjoyed a long winter of two gerbils and a hamster. As wonderful as those creatures are, nothing prepared us for what rats would do to us! It's amazing to me that the past 11 months have become such a long story of the new rats in our lives. I need to post this all somewhere---Dianna knows some of it. It's easy for me to say: "BEST PETS EVER" and mean it. I would only except the kind of dog I'm used to who goes with me everywhere in the woods h ere in Maine and on my hikes, and camping. This is not normal for rats, obviously, but in EVERY OTHER WAY, they are the most deep hearted, loving pets ever and my only concern is their small size---one must always take care not to sit or step on them, as they love human companionship almost as much as they need each other. During this 11 month revelation we have already lost two, one adopted one who may have been nearly 100 in rats' years, (Rascal) and one who tragically left us just as he was transitioning from adorable angelic rat boy into man rathood, but was taken by a horrible respiratory ailment. (Mac) This is gut-wrenching stuff, folks. I'm a 57 y.0 man and I forgot I could shed tears like that. These little beings grab ahold of your heart, and take a piece with them when they leave. NOTHING prepared me for this, but now I know, and stories from other rat people agree with this. We have to take the best care of them we can, and have a rat-friendly vet, if at all possible, and pray we can get a little more than the 3 years max. I understand a 5 year rat is just about the record. We have six now, perhaps a tad more than we need. We still have Cassie, and Rose and Dusty who followed her---the 3 girls. Then we have 3 incredible big boy brothers from the same litter: the Noisy Boys from Mainely Rat Rescue. They all have separate and group relationships with each other, as to who sleeps with who, who takes most care of the one we have who is most prone to respiratory ailments (dear sweet Dusty, but she keeps prevailing.) We would have stopped at 5 but the 3rd Noisy Boy wasn't working out at his adopted home, and he was offered to us. We so love having him join us. All 3 boys are neutered, btw. We hear a lot about "oops litters." These need to be adopted out, or kept, but sadly too many rats are sold as snake food. Nothing against snakes, but knowing rats as I now do, this is the worst betrayal, heartbreaking tragedy I can imagine. Although I know we humans have done worse things to our own kind, too. But it doesn't help me, knowing that. Rats have deep hearts and souls and are too knowing of what's happening to them.

Last edited by RatDad; 02/14/10 08:58 PM.
R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
Are you the reformed live prey snake person? If you are how did your snakes take to eating frozen rodents (thawed, warmed too crunchy otherwise ice crystals and all) anyway, dead prey. Diana and I have been talking via email about the mice or rodents and the horrible fear they go through when put in a cage with a snake. I don't have snakes iguana and a new bearded dragon but I have really wanted a snake but I can't handle feeding mice or small rats. Thank you. Please anyone with snakes or has had snakes give me your opinion.

S
S
I'm a new rat mom and a snake mom. I have a snow corn snake who is just over a year old. At first, I was really squeamish about live prey, but I guess I've gotten used to it. She will eat dead prey, but the only way for me to get that is to freeze it myself - which means the obvious... I can't NOT feed my snake, so I guess I just have to keep on. That may make me sound heartless, and for that, I'm sorry. I'm really not! I love all animals, and can't judge or keep away from any simply because of their dietary needs. Circle of life and all that....

C
Shark
Shark
C
There is certainly a natural food chain and that is natural. I think the better choice is not making the prey go through a terrifying experience. You are not heartless. But it would seem more humane to feed dead rodents as long as they are killed in a non cruel manner.

C
Shark
Shark
C
They looks so sweet in pet stores they look like they are capable of a whole lot of love.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.