logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
A conservation initiative would allow ordinary people to adopt a tiger. Indonesian authorities stated they would monitor the program and that the animals would remain state property. The people adopting these tigers would have to go through a rigorous training program and pay a $100,000 deposit. With only approximately 400 Sumatran tigers left in the wild � it is an interesting solution. But, is it the right solution? I would like your opinion.
Index of Exotic Pet articles featured at BellaOnlne

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
S
Well, I think 'adopting' any endangered species is good in theory, as long as the animals remain in their habitat. From what you wrote, Diana, it sounds like the people who adopt the tigers would be literally responsible for their care. If that's the case, then I completely disagree with this idea. But raising money to protect and care for them by 'adopting' them out... that I can get behind.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
No, these tigers will be in these peoples homes. I will go search for the news article and link it.

Tiger Article

Correction that $100,000 is two animals

"A lot of businessmen have dead tigers in their houses. We hope that this program will eradicate poaching as a lot of people want to have tigers as pets."

--Darori, Director General of Forest Protection and Conservation

Last edited by Diana-Exotic Pets Editor; 02/15/10 02:22 PM.
S
S
This is nothing more than a recipe for disaster. Bad idea.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
The more I research the subject; I am not finding that it is limited to Indonesia. The very idea they could come up with a plan like this is frightening. It looks like a legal way for the rich to have a prize live trophy.

S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
As always it comes back to money and power. I understand the intent - if people are going to pay to own a tiger it may as well be to help the tigers as well but I agree that this is a recipe for disaster - the first time a tiger kills someone the state will be held liable and that will be the end of that. The real solution is to come up with some sort of magic potion that turns people into less selfish power driven creatures and good luck with that.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
A few years ago I read a book about tigers(wish I could remember the name!) that discussed the 4 situations that most tigers live in, and evaluated how happy the animals seemed.
1. In the wild. The author assumed that these would be happiest, although he could not study them directly.
2. In luxurious captivity, as in well managed zoos. These animals seemed bored, or showed slightly unbalanced behaviors, like excessive pacing.
3. In confined captivity, as in poorly managed zoos or in private homes. Many of these animals seemed almost deranged, showing obsessive behavior.
4. Performing animals. Surprisingly, these animals seemed quite happy. They were well cared for because they had to be in good condition to perform, and they showed every sign of enjoying their work; perking up when show time came, and eagerly doing the tricks. The author concluded that if a tiger HAS to be in captivity, the circus is the best option!
It was an interesting proposition to think about. What category do you think the "adopted" tigers would fall into?

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
No doubt number 3 "In confined captivity, as in poorly managed zoos or in private homes. Many of these animals seemed almost deranged, showing obsessive behavior"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.