Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 27 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Let's see, there is a pope (notice his triple crown) greeting a king who is removing his crown in deference. They are at the gates of a church, it must refer to an historic moment. Frederick Barbarossa coming to do penance? It looks like an illustration from one of those medieval books of hours, unfortunately I can't guess any more than that.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
The title of the painting is called "Charlemagne and Pope Adrian I". The only thing that I could find out about it was a jpeg file. It is quite a mystery as there is no known artist listed at this time.

Wikipedia has a section that has asked for more information
(Wikipedia:Reference desk/Archives/Humanities/2008 May 15) on this painting and on a second painting, too.

The other painting is called "Medieval Women as Warriors", also an image, jpeg. ://humanities.ucsd.edu/courses/Ringrosefall2002.htm Don't forget to add the http to the beginning of the last address. wink

I found an interesting book listed in the medieval section called "Children and Games in the Middle Ages". As I looked further, I discovered that there is a whole series of books by Lynne Elliot that covers medieval times and many of the drawings look alot like these paintings. I plan to check out some of the books at the library tomorrow, since I can't look at the pictures online. I'll let you know what I find out later.

Interesting. Confusing, too. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Trish, you are correct. The title of the painting Phyllis submitted is "Emperor Charlemagne and Pope Adrian."

I think because it was from the Medieval era the artist is unknown.

Great job guessing!

Last edited by Art Appreciation; 01/30/10 02:27 PM.

Camille Gizzarelli
Bellaonline.com Art Appreciation Editor
M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
I'm going to look, it is def. medieval. Not sure if it's pictured in my book- The Tres Riches Heures of Joan, Duke of Berry. I would have to look through it and see if I can match the pictures.
The artwork is similar, so I would imagine it to be from the same time- late fourteenth-early fifteenth century.

Michelle Roberti
Folklore and Mythology
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Thanks Michelle, keep us posted if you can uncover who the artist is from the Medieval times.

Camille Gizzarelli
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I have a new photo to share.

Can anyone identify the artist, the title, and medium they used to produce this work of art?

Last edited by Art Appreciation; 02/02/10 07:25 PM.

Camille Gizzarelli
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
This is "Melencolia I" by Albrecht D�rer, a German Renaisannce master. It was done in 1514 and is an engraving.

The interpretation of the work is very interesting and made me feel like I was looking at a highlights puzzle with my children (or even a "Where'e Waldo?" picture. It was fun looking at the magic square for the date, seeing the name of the piece actually on the engraving, and looking for all the small details (key, hour glass, purse, geometry tools, etc.). wink

Thanks, Camille. smile It was fun.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Trish, excellent job. The woodcut is by the German artist Albrecht Durer.

I just visited the MFA in Boston and they had a wonderful Durer exhibition. If you can make it to Boston, it is so well worth seeing!

Camille Gizzarelli
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Albrecht Durer was skilled not only in drawing on the block for the wood-cutter and but also in engraving on copper with his own unsurpassed hand. In 1513 and 1514 he did three engravings on copper that will rank for all time among the world's select masterpieces of this form of art. These were "Melencolia I" (1514), "St. Jerome in his Study" (1514), and "The Knight " (1513). I did some engraving in college and the details are so much finer than a woodcut allows. (That was years ago. Whew!) wink

I would love to visit the MFA in Boston and see the Durer exhibition!

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Trish, the three Durers that I thought were ourstanding were:
'Adam and Eve,' 'Knight, Death, and Devil,' and 'Melencolia I.'

I'm glad you enjoy his work also.

Has anyone else seen work by Durer?

Camille Gizzarelli
Page 17 of 27 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27

Moderated by  Art Appreciation 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 06:17 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.