logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#574314 12/31/09 11:42 AM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I always (okay sometimes remember to) check the pattern for changes at the publishers site. What things do you always do? Or try to always do?

This week's article

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
P
Marge, Hi, I am new to BellaOnline and have a knitting question. A friend has given me some very lightweight yarn (hand dyed wool) to make her a scarf. The edges are curling and I am not sure how to prevent this. Any suggestions? I am just doing a simple knit 6 rows, purl 6 rows pattern with size six needles. Thanks for you tips! :)Polly54

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
When you knit one row, purl the next, you get a lovely flat fabric, but unfortunately it rolls, you can block it. Which is stretching it out and wetting or steaming it and pinning in place until it drys, but it will probably still roll.

To avoid this most hand made scarves are made with some kind of pattern on the edges.

Whoops re-reading your post, are you knitting every row for six rows? Then purling every row for six rows?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
P
P
I am purling then knitting the purling rows, then knitting both the knit rows (does this make sense?) Usually I am using heavier yarn (or even 2 colors) so don't normally have this problem! Would crocheting a narrow row down each side of the scarf help the problem?

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I can't picture it, can you take a picture you can email it to me at mknitter "at" mac "dot" com if you would like...

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
J
Koala
Koala
J
I think she just means she's alternating a knitted row and a purled row?

I've crocheted some of my edges to keep them from curling. If you use ribbing, I think that doesn't curl? I did a hat with knit 2 purl 2 all the way around and it didn't curl up at the end.

V
V
Polly - If you start each row with a K1,P1 and end each row with a P1, K1,that should keep it from curling, I would think. I have used this method when making dishcloths and don't have a curling problem. Gail in Va Beach

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.