Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Shark
Shark
C
Jilly- I was told by a nurse a long time ago that Corn derivatives is a major ingredient in Tums, rolaids and other gas- heartburn medications, so he told me to eat corn chips and sip water whenever I had an upset stomach. And a box of Jiffy Cornmeal muffin mix is about 33 cents- or 3 for a dollar in my area.

Cindy L Merrill
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Cindy #560470 10/30/09 02:00 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I definitely agree that you can have a high quality of life on low money if you have the right mindset. I too used to be a high paid database developer and the stress was just too much for me. I quit it all and started working from home. I am SO much happier now. It's all about budgeting.

If you eat at home, growing your own veggies, cooking your own meals, wearing "comfy clothes" (sweats etc) then you can really cut expenses down to a minimum and be content. Really, for me, as long as I have a laptop and an internet connection I'm quite happy smile Well and my hula hoop!!

OK so money saving ideas. Find sunny windows and grow things in them. Seeds are cheap! The amount of yummy food you get is amazing!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Cindy, that is a neat idea about corn! I never thought of it as medicinal. lol.

I did find a HUGE can of corn at the super walmart for $3.45 and picked that up. So I have a ton of corn if needed. There was also a huge can of beans....plus I have a lot of dried beans I picked up cheaply for my crockpot. Dried beans are always affordable.

I also grabbed a case of Ramen. Not the healthiest food, but at least warm and filling. I also grabbed some of the Jiffy cornbread mixes. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 11/04/09 04:18 AM.
Jilly #562242 11/05/09 12:53 PM
M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
I gave up working full-time to spend more time with my family - even though it meant stretching one income to where two had been for years. We still travel and play hard, but have learned to live frugally in order to do what is really important to us.

I guess these lessons have become ingrained in my daughter's psyche. She told everyone she wouldn't spend more than $50 for a grad dress. Although grad's not until next spring, she recently found the dress at a local thrift store - full length sage green gown with burgundy waist and glass beading on the bodice. It fits as if it was made just for her. The drycleaner raved about the quality, saying it was a $400-500 gown - and high-fived my daughter when she saw the thrift store tag of $30!

Cheers,
Megan

C
Shark
Shark
C
Can anyone tell which is the best Turkey TV Dinner available? My husband and I are on a very tight budget-only $100 SNAP food credit, so this what we'll be having for Thanksgiving dinner.
Swanson hungry Man has large sized portions, but the fat and salt is astronomical.

Cindy L Merrill
Cindy #564120 11/12/09 11:07 PM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I am excited to have a plan, now, at least a start of one. I will have this great rent to own singlewide on a 1/4 acre lot in a riparian area in central AZ. I will be able to do several things to save money:

- Apply for the low income electric program in AZ
- Apply for food stamps
- Go to the various food banks
- Start to grow my garden!
- plant a crabapple tree
- buy large bags of dried beans and use my crockpot more often (i'd like to keep it in constant rotation)
- look into wildcrafting (gathering wild foods)
- look into making a solar oven out in the backyard
- make my own wine from something local (I need to look into some recipes)

It will have to be a winter garden, but i can easily make cold frames and get things started. I want to grow a sturdier heirloom variety of tomatoes, sturdier twiggy herbs like rosemary and oregano, zuchinni, winter squashes.

Leafy veggies like lettuce will have to wait until spring. I won't be getting snow but there will be nights around freezing for a few months at 3,000 feet.

Anyone have suggestions for sturdy winter crops?

Last edited by Jilly; 11/14/09 10:46 PM.
Jilly #564364 11/14/09 12:02 PM
C
Shark
Shark
C
Yes: Parsnips and Carrots are possible, since you live in a warmer climate ( Check online or your local garden centers for best varieties)Parsnips get a bad rap because grocery stores sell the huge, tasteless monstrocities- at a high price, at that.
Harvested early, they're delicious.

Cindy L Merrill
Cindy #564799 11/16/09 12:02 PM
M
Amoeba
Amoeba
M
I think cabbage is one, but I'm not sure.

C
Shark
Shark
C
Also, consider keeping indoor plants like wheat grass, oatgrass or catnip for your pets' wellbeing. That way, they won't bother your hanging strawberry plants.

Cindy L Merrill
Cindy #572993 12/27/09 02:19 AM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I'm always a fan of herb gardens, herbs add such delightful flavors to meals and often you only need a tiny sprinkle of them to help out!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.