#562931 11/09/09 05:34 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jase just sent me important news about Kiva -

Kiva in the NY Times

I have to say - I'm feeling traumatized. Here at BellaOnline we send them *millions* of free ad views every month. I actively support them myself, I save up money to donate and then I carefully choose the person I want to give it to. I read their profiles, and go through page by page. I want to make sure I'm really doing a good job of choosing the perfect person.

And now they're saying it all goes into a lump fund, sent out to banks???

Not only does it seem I've been wasting my time, and that my money could be funding people I feel strongly against, but also I feel the Kiva organization has been incredibly deceptive in what they are marketing!

I am seriously thinking of taking all the Kiva ads down and focusing on the other groups we support. It's not that the ads would go to "waste" - there are plenty of other charities who need our attention.

I was *so* enamored of the Kiva model, and I am feeling very disillusioned.

What are your thoughts?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
It is dissappointing - however it is clear that money is used for microfinancing it's just that the loans have already been made.

Maybe we could look at rotating charities? A new one every year? That way we can spread our good will and funds around.

Megan McConnell
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Lisa
I too spent hours deciding whom to help with my small loans to Kiva. I tried to always help a single mom when possible and one who was working to better her world.

I am at a loss for words, and I am extremely sad at this moment after reading the article.

I am wondering how much truth is behind the individual stories themselves now.

wow...

Have a blessed day-

Erika Lyn Smith
BellaOnline's Missing & Exploited Children Editor
Missing & Exploited Children Site
BellaOnline's Child Abuse Editor
Child Abuse Site
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
After reading Lisa's Tweet, I immediately did a search before visiting the BellaOnline forum. I found the blog post written by David Roodman and the subsequent response by Matt Flannery, co-founder of Kiva. I see the David Roodman post is noted in the Times article.

I joined Kiva because of the advertisement here. I read all of the information available on the Kiva site and elsewhere before I sent any funds to them. I was a familiar micro-loans but never thought I would be involved with any. I am very disappointed to learn that the Kiva organization has not been up front about how funds are dispersed. Lender's should have been apprised when the original process changed. I will not stopping giving to Kiva but I will keep an eye on them.

Thanks Jase.

Tiger
Tiger
I was slow to warm up to Kiva but have been excited about my contributions this year for the most part because I thought they were going to specific people -- otherwise why search through the database. Their website is very misleading with their individual descriptions of how much money they've raised for their loan etc.

Once my loans have been paid back I will withdraw -- as it is not what I signed up for.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Even more odd - one of my early loans was to a woman in Kenya who ran a grocery store. She had issues and defaulted, so I "lost my money". But if they are now saying that my money didn't really go to this woman in Kenya, why did I lose my money?

It is just so frustrating that I spent hours and hours looking through the profiles and choosing women who were in groceries or farming - I wanted to make sure my money was going to a specific area I felt strongly about. All of that was wasted time, time I could have spent much more productively.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Lisa, I know you are frustrated - but know above all else that your heart was in the right place. I hope that can give you some comfort. Maybe not for the money - but for the time and care you put into it.

I am ashamed to say I never got involved in this, so my vote really shouldn't count much; but looking from the outside in it seems like BellaOnline's time and resources would be better spent elsewhere - especially now as the holidays are about to hit.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Shark
Shark
That is very upsetting and it is disillusioning. I know the money does good but I don't see why they had to "sugar coat" it by making up nice little stories about small business people. I too take the time to check out those who need loans.

I currently have a couple of $25 loans, not sure if I will reloan the money now. It is something I'll really have to think about.

Susan Keeping
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I too was upset when I read the news. However, even though they were not completely honest in how the funds were allocated, I believe that they are doing good. In essence when the picture is taken of the person needing the loan for the website, Kiva has already given them the loan from a larger money pool. From the articles I have read about them it seems that they do disperse the money they get.

Years ago I used to sponsor a little girl in India and after I found out that the money went to the community instead of directly to the child's parents I stopped sponsoring her. I wish I had not stopped - because ultimately she would have benefited from my sponsorship.

Editor, Soapmaking site at Bellaonline
Soapmaking Site at Bellaonline

Soap making kits, DIY bath and body kits and customizable labels.
PerfumeKits.com
C
Amoeba
Amoeba
C
Lisa,

I don't blame you for being disappointed, to say the least. It does raise the question about how to fully 'vet' organizations we choose to assist.

Regards,

Cheryl

Cheryl Lynne Likins, M.A.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.