Print Thread
#544534 08/25/09 10:31 AM
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
I recently got my 1st orchid and am hoping that I don't kill it too soon. It was a real cheap one from WalMart and I'm sure I picked it out almost as soon as they got them in and hadn't had a chance to kill it themselves. A friend told me it was a phaleonopsis.

When I got it, one of the 3 leaves had a little yellow/brown on it, which increased until most of the leaf was dead and I cut it off. Now, the largest leave is turning yellow/brown. The flowers are starting to drop off and since I have had it for about a month, I figure that is about normal - but I don't want it to be without leaves and am not sure what to do about that.

Another friend told me that too much sunlight can cause yellow/brown leaves, but I have it on my desk and it receives no sunlight at all - just the light from a lamp.

Here is a picture of the leaf.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Mavis
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
S
that does look like too much or too close of light. How close is your lamp to the leaves?

M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
the lamp is 3 feet away from the orchid.

Mavis
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
I'd suggest that you get some kind of fungicide (Physan or Consan is what I use) and spray on your orchid. Many times inexpensive orchids are planted in sphagnum moss and this is a problem once the plant is placed in a home. If your plant continues to lose leaves it will eventually die. It is unlikely that the light is too much.

Susan Taylor
BellaOnline Orchids Editor
P
P
Phals don't usually have more than 4-6 leaves at a time and eventually the older leaf dies. When you water it, don't allow water to pool at the base of the leaves - it will cause rot!

S
S

Last edited by Shebar; 06/13/10 05:27 PM.
G
G
If the bottom leaves are the only one that is turning it is an age issue. Normally if you are getting just yellow spots and with black on the leaves,this is to much light. What potting media are use using? Bark and moss work well. No soil though. Also make sure not to water until the roots are completely dry.Hope this helps.You can check out a few articles at this site that might explain more. www.OrchidsCareCenter.com

Moderated by  Anu D - Orchids 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.