Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
B
If you're a baby boomer or over 65, how do you feel about health care reform? A new poll shows that those over 65 oppose the current reform plan because they think it will increase taxes, limit their choices and quality of care.

Here's an article on my boomer blog about it.

If you're a baby boomer or over 65, how do you feel about the proposed health care reforms?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I repect greatly the elderly. They have so much insight and balance and genuine love & appreciation. I wish all cultures valued their weight in gold!

I do feel with this particular issue, the elderly have every reason to fear the healthcare reform. I urge them to call out and speak, make those calls, find the motivation to group together, carpool and get in to see those politicians. Make flyers, hang them in groccery stores, colleges, drug stores, anywhere you can think of.

The feeling I get with Obama has to do with the elderly already having lived a full life, therefore let them let go. I feel a great deal of what has been covered in the past for them will not and is safe to say will see most likely a 75% drop from what they were use to.

Make your kids listen. Have them give back for all you've sacrificed for them to get where they are today. They will be able to reach people you may not. Don't give up on this one - make your voice heard. You DO matter!!

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 08/02/09 12:46 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
I can't believe you'd encourage seniors to do something like this without reading all the facts. Why don't you read this and then decide whether your encouragement is right or wrong. Also, even if Medicare is changed it will not cost more, but less. You're like so many who immediately find the health care reform bad without checking all the facts. Now granted there are some things about it even I can't fathom, but these same seniors you're encouraging are already on a governmen-based health care system and yet, you would tell them to discourage the government giving the same government-based health care systems to others who need it.
Have you like so many who have forgotten that this is for the children also, the same children who will be the adults and then seniors in our future society. Are you saying give this children who have no health care now to continue to live like this what happens to their quality of life as they mature?

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Oh well I tried to submit the link but seems Bellaonline is one-sided you allow links to go out but not come in.

J
Shark
Shark
J
Vanessa - if you hit reply (not the quick reply box) you get some icons at the top. His the second from the left which looks like a world with a chain. It will prompt you to post the url. Then a second box will ask for a name, eg healthcare. When you submit, that should work. BTW, I agree that everyone - babies, children, pregnant women should get the same government healthcare that the elderly get.

Joanna Czechowska
British Television Editor
B
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
B
What I worry about is that if the govn't takes over health care and makes decisions on health care based on how much things cost, then nobody will get quality health care, least of all "old" people who are no longer useful and don't pay taxes anymore. With medicare, all doctors don't take it right now and most limit the number of medicare patients they will take because they can't afford to take what medicare pays.

My husband is retired military and we have Tricare, a government program. Many doctors refuse to take it because of the low amount it pays (which is the same as Medicare) and because of the paperwork horror of working with a government program.

Britain has nationalized health care but now they are limiting basic treatments like cortisone shots. If someone wants to purchase a high cost treatment, they are cut off from all treatment by the government. In Canada, the death rate from cancer is higher than in the US because they limit access to high cost cancer drugs and basic testing like colonoscopies.

Here's British MEP Daniel Hannan on YouTube talking about the British Nationalized health care and why the US should not go down
the same road.

It's a very important subject and people should try and learn more about it. Your tax dollars will pay for this program. It certainly won't be "free" health care if you have a job and pay taxes.

Last edited by BoomerGal; 08/09/09 12:20 PM.
J
Shark
Shark
J
There is no such thing as 'free' healthcare - it always has to be paid for obviously. It's just having national insurance spreads the cost for something everyone needs at one time or another. People don't have to use to use the NHS in Britain - if they have private insurance or are rich, they can get private care which is what they would do in the US. I don't understand the argument that if the NHS doesn't do everything perfectly, it's better to have nothing at all. It's a safety net for when people, for example, lose their job or get a disease that takes years to treat or it's a pre-existing condition etc etc.
Daniel Hannan doesn't believe in the NHS or climate change or European co-operation so I don't take much notice of him (nor I guess does his leader David Cameron). Every country has people like him (sadly).

Joanna Czechowska
British Television Editor
There has to be something better than what the President is proposing. Why not just change it for the ones that don't have insurance and leave the rest of us alone with our care that we now have.

Canada has the type of health care that Obama is proposing for us. The citizens there can't get in to see a doctor without a 6 months wait. Can you imagine how long it will take for all of us that are over 40 to die off? You may think that is a good thing, but it will also be your parents and loved ones right along with the rest of us. And with that kind of governmental control--you will be next. What are you kids getting us into??

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Last week I was 1000 miles from home and had a not-so-serious injury that required me to come to the ER for treatment 3 days in a row. Thanks to my Government single-payer health plan (Medicare) I was able to show my card and receive good care right away.
Why can't this system, which seems to work, be expanded? Because too many corporations stand to lose by a change, and they are doing all they can to block any hint of reform.
How many Canadian citizens have you spoken to? They had problems about 15 years ago but I understand that their system has been improved enough by now that many of them are insulted by the statements coming out of the USA that they are so poorly served.

Moderated by  DeboraD 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.