logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#539143 07/25/09 06:40 PM
S
OP Offline
S
The Health Care Reform that is currently working its way through Congress is a serious matter, and I am hoping that most of us are paying attention and staying in touch with our legislators. No matter which side of the coin you're on, our legislators need to hear our views and opinions. This Reform bears too many long-term consequences to be politely ignored by the voters and taxpayers -- with great consideration given for those of us who need health care assistance.

Susan R. Blaske Williams
Senior Issues
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Many aging parents of aging adults with developmental disabilities and other special needs have been quite concerned about rumors being spread over the internet about some of the healthcare proposals being considered.

The AARP Bulletin has a good discussion of the health care reform ideas: Understanding the proposals and tackling myths like healthcare rationing

I'm more concerned that healthcare reform will be too little, too late for many families - as far as I've seen, we already have healthcare rationing and too little preventive care to avoid the more expensive option of using emergency rooms because they could not afford a clinic visit when conditions were treatable at an earlier less dangerous stage.

From what I've seen on TV, everybody needs to take a deep breath and recognize that not much problem solving will be accomplished by everyone shouting "How can you believe THAT?!?"

We can have a dozen differences of opinion even in small groups at friendly churches - not to mention over dinner with family on holidays - so it's not surprising to me to find a diversity of opinion everywhere else.

I was touched by President Obama's story of listening to his mom argue with her insurance company from her hospital bed when she was sick with cancer - that was such a powerful image to me that I had great hopes he would inspire Congress to create healthcare reform that would be meaningful for my family, even if it does not take effect until 2012 or later.

My representatives are aware of my concerns and our family's issues because I have contacted them regularly over the years as an advocate for people with disabilities, as well as for neighbors who have been struggling due to the economy, those who own small businesses, and those whose families include troops currently or recently in service. I certainly will urge them to make the best possible decisions on healthcare reform for my family and community.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Developmental Disability and Chronic Health Conditions
Down Syndrome and Diabetes Dual Diagnosis

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website

Moderated by  Pam - Senior Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.