logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
I am 36 yrs. old. I found out that I have diabetes last may. I also found out that I have sleep apnea. Plus I am taking synthroid for my underactive thyroid. My doctor says that I am fighting an uphill battle with weight. He also says that I am losing my battle. He suggests that I do the lapband surgery. That scares me. I don't know what to do. HELP!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Hi bobbosgirl. You're young so that will make the surgery easier, with fewer risks. I've known people to undergo the surgery at older ages and they've done well.

Weight gain from an underactive thyroid is tough to battle with diet alone.

To me, there is one major concern. If you don't address the underlying reasons for your weight gain (other than the thyroid problem), you will regain the weight and possibly risking damage to your stomach.

Lapband surgery forces the body to reduce food intake, but it does not go to the source of the problem which begins in the brain. Our beliefs and attitudes about food control our eating habits.

We eat for more than sustenance. Eating, because it is so pleasurable, becomes a way of self-medicating our minds and bodies. Please be sure to seek counseling before, during and after surgery. And consider getting a second opinion while talking to others about their experiences with lapband surgery. There are weight loss/health forums online that address lapband surgery specifically.

Good luck.

E
E
hi..I have been diabtic for 8 years..wow turned 50 and there it was..definitely life changing..I was over weight, depressed all the time..didn't know what to do..doc told me that if I would just loose 25 pounds, it would be easier on me and my meter.right.I weighed 200 pounds.. today I weigh 145 and still am loosing.has been a battle, but my family and friends have helped.and I am a fighter..say I can't and I will prove you wrong.you have to really want change.have to have a good mentor to help you and come down on you hard.and you have to BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.do you want surgery? it is not easy.either way.but I am here if you want help.I got myself a stationary bike and started walking.you can do t

N
N
Hey EthalMay, my 50th bday present also was learning that I'm diabetic (type II). When you dropped the weight, did your blood sugars balance? Do you need meds? My Dr. told me that almost none of his patients were truly able to balance out with diet and exercise. It's discouraging.

A
A
I think thant one way to lose weight when you have diabetes is to take weight loss supplements. But before using them you should consult with a doctor to be completely sure that they are safe for your organism. By the way you can do it <a hrefBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by adkin; 08/28/09 08:50 AM.
A
Amoeba
Amoeba
A
How much exercise are you getting? My nutritionist recommends walking 1 hour every day rain or shine.

My sleep apnea was actually caused by the pollen from a tree that was right next to the bedroom. The doctor never mentioned that as a possibility. I had to figure it out on my own. My nose was swelling up at night. Nose strips and a pillow wedge helped. The c-pap machine was useless. We cut down the tree and now I'm fine.

Alice, Senior Living Editor
Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

E
Amoeba
Amoeba
E
I agree with Alice. My mum was recommended to go on the treadmill for half an hour or brisk walk for 45 minutes.

C
C
I fight with my weight all the time - I have type 1 diabetes, diagnosed 3 years ago. But it is so hard for me to drop weight. I am about 35lbs overweight, and I bought a treadmill 8 months ago. I have been running 5-6 days a week for 30-50 minutes (however long my little son's nap is) and I have lost 5 pounds. Isn't that depressing? I watch what I eat so I figured exercise was the key, but my doc says insulin makes it really hard to lose weight - I have no idea why. Anyhow, just wanted to add my story to the mix - maybe surgery will work for you, but keep trying, and get the exercise you can - at least I feel great, less stressed out and sleep better since I started running!

Moderated by  C. Kimura 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.