logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mishb23 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Does anyone have any info on this career path? (not just counselling, but specifically online counselling) I'd love to do this as a career, and do have an Undergrad degree in psychology, however no further formal training or qualifications. I'm 30 years old and simply cannot afford to go back to uni and do the further study required to become licensed/registered. I also do not wish to be a face to face counsellor. Only online. I would even be open to doing online counselling for free, as it doesn't even feel like work to me. I obviously would one day want to be able to do it as a career though, to support myself enough so I wouldn't have to work (or at least not very much) in my current job as a secretary *snore* Any advice or experiences would be very much appreciated!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
You have to have the same credentials as any other counselor in your area needs to have to counsel someone. To hold a private practice (which is what you would be doing even online), all US states and most western countries require a Masters level education and whatever license requirements there are etc. for your degree/area.

What you could do which wouldn't be illegal is to give advice online at various sites where people ask questions and you answer. Yahoo has a department like that. There are disclaimers etc. in place on those sites clearly letting visitors know that you are not a mental health professional. Anyone can give an opinion. It only becomes a problem when you get paid for it.

Much Success To You,
Lisa Angelettie

Lisa Angelettie MSW
BellaOnline Depression Editor
Are You Depressed?

M
mishb23 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you! I thought as much re the requirements, and actually years ago I created my own website with the intention to offer advice/counselling, but put this disclaimer on there saying I'm not a registered psychologist, etc. I was too nervous to ever really generate any traffic to the site as I wasn't qualified and feared any repurcussions, so the site died...but my desire to do this hasn't. Thanks again!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.