Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#517692 05/03/09 02:00 PM
M
Mabel Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I was given a beautiful white and blue female budgie, but she seemed to have a problem. I have other budgies at home and even though I had second thoughts I did bring this one home. I left her in a cage by herself and then I noticed that she can not hold her head up straight. She constantly has her head to the side. She is eating and drinking, there are toys in the cage but she goes crazy running in circles on the bottom of the cage. She will turn around for 20 minutes at a time before stopping to sleep for a bit because she is tired out. Can anyone tell me if this is a medical problem or what I can do. I don't want to put her in with my other birds until I know she is ok and not sick. The lady that give her to me can not tell me what happened or when only that one day this started, that was about 2 months ago.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Mabel #517802 05/04/09 07:12 AM
S
S
Yes, there are several health issues that can cause this symptom. Just one being a neurological problem from a previous injury, poor diet, heavy metal ingestation and others. The only way to be sure is to get a check up with a true Avian vet. It's good you did not put her in with your others as any new bird coming into our homes should be quarantined a minimum of 30 days, as far from our resident birds as possible. If you have them in the same room though, they are not quarantined. However, I don't think you have a contagious situation. Of course the previous owner would claim ignorance, especially if she did something stupid or careless that led to the problem. Or, it could just be ignorance of the many toxins we must protect our birds from. I hope this helps. If not, let me know.

M
Koala
Koala
M
Hi Mabel - Skydanzer is right - this bird should be taken to an avian veterinarian asap. It is also true that all new birds should be quarantined.

Mavis
Mavis #520017 05/10/09 12:56 PM
M
Mabel Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the information. I will have the vet take a look at her. She seems to be find otherwise but just the neck problem. She is still by herself in a single cage so I hope to get this corrected soon as she is lonely.

Mabel #522949 05/25/09 09:52 PM
M
Mabel Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Finally I found an avian vet only about 60 kl. from where I live and he told me that the bird was born this way and nothing to worry about. I can let her in with other birds and not be concern. Thanks for telling me to go, it has put my mind at rest.

Mabel #522961 05/25/09 11:18 PM
N
Shark
Shark
N
Poor little girl. But if she seems happy and healthy otherwise she doesn't know there is something wrong. That's all she knows, running in circles. I'd cuddle with her a lot if she was mine. I've had many birds in my life and loved them all dearly. Now I have reptiles and they are just as lovable. You can't have birds or cats around reptiles. They are natural enemies. I had a sweet little lutino cockatiel once that smelled like perfume. She was a beauty. I used to sniff her occassionally. :Wink:

Mabel #523740 05/28/09 07:20 PM
M
Koala
Koala
M
I'm glad you had her checked out. Even though there isn't any fix, at least you know that she can be with the other birds for company. She doesn't know she is any different from the other birds and should live a happy life with you. smile

Mavis
Mavis #530768 06/22/09 12:56 AM
M
Mabel Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am glad that I took your advice. She is happy and just like the rest except for the way her neck is but it does not seem to bother her and the others do not pick on her and that is what I was afraid of when I put her in the cage with the others. All is happy now and she will be with me for as long as I am around. I could not let anyone else have her because I would be afraid that they would not look after her as I will.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.