Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#517594 05/02/09 09:36 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Well there is a new article up. Hope you all check it out.

Let's Get Started

I would love to know what you think. Also I would love to hear about how you learned to crochet? Did your grandmother teach you, a favorite teacher, or perhaps you have a great story about teaching someone crochet? I would love to hear about it.

Carla Cano
Walking Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
P
I learned to crochet at about the age of 7 or8
My , Mom's mom taught me.
Mom would help me when she wasn't there.
I taught myself to knit
Gran and mom both taught me to sew
Gran taught me to quilt.
Pinkroses

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I learned to crochet at 15, I was making jewerly with my mom and learned the chain stitch. This just got me hooked, I had to learn more. No one else in my family crochets or knits or quilts or anything like that. Even the jewerly making didnt last long. But as I said in the article I found one of those I taught myself to crochet books and just worked on it till I got it. I have loved it every since. I have finally learned to knit but it was not as easy, even with the I taught myself to knit book. I actually had to get a dvd for that one. Of course I really enjoy it now but I am still a beginner knitter. I am very interested in patterns that blend the crafts. My favorite thing is by far afghans, they take more time but I love the finished results.

Carla Cano
Walking Editor
P
P
I taught myself to crochet in 1972 using a Japanese book published by Ondori. It was written in Japanese (which I cannot read) but introduced me to the wonderful world of crochet symbols. My first project was a 13" pineapple doiley with size 30 DMC. I didn't know anyone who crocheted so didn't know how ambitious I was (LOL). It was very beautiful and my mother treasured it. I am still a confirmed threadie and design my own lace patterns - yes - using crochet symbols. But now I like to crochet with sewing thread because of the wonderful colour selection. Sue in Portland, OR

L
L
Hi every one, MY mother-in-law taught me a little about crocheting, when i first get marred to her son. From there I was self-taught. I get lots of books on the subject,and have been crocheting from then on. My new thing is Hairpin lace crochet.Hope to learn more about crocheting as time goes on. ladyblue55

Last edited by ladyblue55; 05/06/09 09:28 AM.
V
V
When I was young, I loved to embroider - mostly bureau scarves and the like and would alway ask my grandmother to crochet edgings for me. One day, she decided I should learn how to do it myself and that was all she wrote......I no longer embroider, but love to crochet, though mostly with yarn these days. I taught myself to knit, but crochet is still my first love. Gail in Va Beach

Great first article, Carla! I taught myself to crochet using a book "Learn to Crochet in a Day" -- it took more than a day, and advice from a couple of experienced crocheters on tension and how to hold the yarn (I was holding it like a knitter, which just didn't work) but I did it! It took less than a week to have my first granny hexagon... OK, it was supposed to be a granny square but I was very proud of myself!!

S
S
I learned how to crochet around the age of 10. I was taught by my favorite Auntie Patsy. We made an afghan together, which I still have many, many years later. I never crocheted after that until I became pregnant at 27. I guess I was *nesting* and decided to make a blanket, booties, hat, the whole thing for my new baby. I never looked back after that and have been crocheting fairly consistently since (my daughter is now 23). About 4 years ago, I taught that same daughter how to crochet and she has made quite a few things as gifts since then. When my Auntie Patsy passed away, her apartment was filled with yarn she had bought and never used. This yarn came to me and to this day, I am still using her yarn for projects and thinking of her each time I pick up my hook. That's my story!! SusanMorgaine

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I love all these great stories. Keep 'em coming. It's nice to reflect back on such wonderful memories isn't it? I hope someday to be able to teach my own daughter to crochet or at least grand daughter. My sons won't even consider learning. frown However my oldest does some hemp jewerly from time to time. He says that it is completely different because its knots. wink

Carla Cano
Walking Editor
A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
I was taught to knit by my aunt in my teens. When I decided I wanted to learn to crochet my aunt was very far away and I couldn't get to her.

I asked a friend, who crocheted, over and over to teach me but she always said she was too busy, later, maybe later.

I got tired of waiting so I bought a hook that came with a one page flier showing the chain (which was the only thing I knew), a sc, hdc, dc, and triple. That was the entire flier.

So I sat down to teach myself. Within a week I had designed my own pattern for hats for my kids, and was making them hats scarves, and had figure out from an old pattern in a magazine how to do the ripple stitch.

After that last my kids started to get afghans, and doll afghans.

My friend finally decided that maybe her help was needed. So she would look at my work, find a mistake, rip it out handing it back saying do it over.

I fast learned to find those mistakes before my friend came to visit. No more starting over.

That was 24 years and many many projects ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Holly - Crochet Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.