Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#515390 04/25/09 07:45 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We were watching something recently where a person was talking about smudging sage and how wonderful it smells. My sage grows wild pretty much and I love it, so I thought I should try this!

Did the native Americans burn sage BRUSH and not sage HERB? I think they are different, yes?

If I can do it with the herb sage, what do I do with the herb stalks before lighting them on fire?

EDIT: I just found a site recommending you NOT try this with garden sage as many people have reactions to breathing in this smoke. Hmmmmm.

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 04/25/09 07:47 PM.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
I use the wild sage that grows in the desert here in Nevada. The Native Americans gather the sage with prayers of thanks to the plant spirit. They never take all they need from one plant and never from the Grandfather plant, which gives life to all the others. You only take what you need. For smudging, dry the sage before burning it. Put some of the dry sage in an abalone shell or clay dish and light it. With a feather or your hand, brush the smoke in the direction you need it to go. The Native American will offer this smoke to the Four Directions while saying the prayer they need for the specific purpose of smudging (ie: negative atmospere, illness, bad vibes, etc.). For more info, see my articles:

Heal The Spirit

Healing With Herbs

Hope this helps. smile

PS: I never use the culinary garden sage for smudging. The sage I use is Artemisia tridentata or common sage, or sagebrush.

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 04/26/09 03:22 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Here's an image of my sage, which is the garden sage smile

it is growing VERY thickly in the entire garden area now.

I'm not sure what to do with it all!

Low Carb Forum
Your garden sage looks very healthy and abundant. I love to tie it in small bundles with a pretty ribbon and attach it to gifts for my sisters, neices and friends. They love to get fresh herbs that way. I hang bundles of the sage in my kitchen to dry. It looks pretty and gives an old-fashion look to the kitchen. I use it for cooking and when the bundles are very dry, I store them (minus the ribbon) in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. This will last thru the winter months.

I use culinary sage in a lot of meals I cook. I just rub the dry leaves in my palms and add it to the food while cooking.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
I learned about smudging with sage in a feng shui class and I do it occasionally to clear out any bad energy. The class instructor advised smudging if you buy an antique as you aren't sure what type of energy may be associated with the piece.

I got the sage at a Native American art gallery in Oregon.

This is the sage that I use for smudging:

Artemisia tridentata (also called sagebrush/common sagebrush, big sagebrush, blue/black sagebrush or mountain sagebrush)

It grows wild here in the Nevada desert. Sometimes I like to use White Sage from the Lakota area. It has a sweeter, more pleasant aroma when burned.

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 06/20/09 01:23 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
N
N
As I am a witch, I use the sage brush for this purpose. Good luck! nornwyrd

B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B
Dry the sage out on paper towels, then store it for use during the winter. You can also put it on paper towels or paper plates (just the leaves) and microwave at 30 sec intervels to dry it out faster and retain the color. If your microwave tries to arc, put a real small glass or bowl of water in it. I dry all kinds of herbs this way and have them to use for the next winter or two. Just watch it so it doesn't burn.

This winter was the longest and most cold in the last 10 years, so I used up a lot of my medicinal plants stock. Sage is one of the herbs that kept us in good shape. I used it every time I felt symptoms of cold, sore throat, hoarseness or cough - anything that would spoil the beauty of the winter and our good mood. I also recommended it to my father against sweating.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Here's my photo of my sage plant today -

It's still growing strong!

I'm glad I found this forum post - I had forgotten that this was the "wrong" sage for smudging and was thinking smudging thoughts again smile

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.