Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
My laptop runs PCillin virus software.
Recently I've been getting this pop up comong from a shortcut at the bottom of the screen.
Windows Security alert
(Then it says my computer is infected and tells me about antivirus software and to click for a scan of my computer. When I click on the bubble it takes me to
Spyware Protect 2009 where I can purchase it for $49.95) Then I get some more pop ups alerting me.

I ran my virus software and got rid of some suspected items.

Do I trust my Pcillin software? How do I get rid of these annoying pop-ups form Spyware Protect 2009?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Lynne,

Be very careful--this one just hit my computer yesterday, and we were told that it's a password stealing virus, very harmful, and works very fast.

I had to end up taking mine to Best Buy. I didn't even download any links--but, my anti virus software wasn't up to date as it should have been.

Also, they said if your computer is infected, contact anyone you do online banking and shopping with, as it has the possibility to record key strokes on your computer, thereby getting passwords.

I'll post back here once I get my computer back, and let you know what else they say, or how much damage it did. wall

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
I haven't used that computer for anything password protected since I started having problems with it. My virus program should be up to date but I will be taking it to my computer guy tomorrow - or as soon as he can look at it.

A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Hi again!

They also said that they had a customer the other day,who had paid for the service, since it looks so real. That customer had $9000 charged to them in less than 48 hours.

It was funny when I first saw your post, because I had just signed on to the forum through a friend's computer to post a message about this.

Good minds think alike, even when feeling like computer

Last edited by Cook4Kids&Adoption Editor; 04/19/09 06:16 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Fortunately, I had not logged into any site except Facebook (and maybe Twitter) on my laptop (the one that is infected)Someone did hack my Facebook page.

I did know that I shouldn't purchase Spyware Protect because of just that reason. If in fact it was a virus, they would then have my info.

I will be changing my virus protection on my laptop. Supposedly it was always up to date.

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Help - so now I have the same Virus !!! Except that it is now called XP Antispyware 2010. (My granddaughter was on My Space last night and I'm sure thats where it came from.

My laptop has PCCilin. I have updated it and run a scan. It got rid of a bunch but not this one. The virus won't let me get on the internet to try to find something else. I also have Mallware Bytes (or something like that) that is suggested for removal of this virus but I can't get the program to open.

Does anyone have a suggestion before I have to take my laptop in and pay someone to clean it?

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
If anyone else runs into this precious little virus...
I did a system restore to a place before last night when we picked up the virus. I can now open Malwarebytes, so I'm running that and then I will update my Pccilin and run that again. This is not really the way I'd planned to spend my evening.

D
D
Thanks for information. Now I will be careful with this software.

A
A
I am an IT student. I can say that the best Anti Virus I have ever used is Kaspersky Internet Suite. You can run a free trial for 30 days to test it if you like it. All in all its the best AV software out there IMHO. On a side note, if you do plan to purchase Kaspersky it is not cheap, but then again... you pay for what you get ya know? I don't recommend using PCcilin, I have used it before and it is not that good of an AV software. Trust me on this and you will see.

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Yes, Kapersky is one of the better freebie AV (anti-virus) programs.

What many people don't know is that your service provider often provides a free or heavily discounted AV program included with your monthly subscription. Contact them to find out.

"I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains."
Anne Frank

Rayna
Depression Site

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.