Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Elaine Dayton
It sometimes feels that children have to be everywhere. Parents sometimes need to take on board that they need to nuture themselves without children present.

I wonder if this statement has something to do with the fact that since so many parents have to work and leave their kids in daycare - they feel guilty taking time away from them during their "leisure" time.

But it is not like a wedding is an every weekend occurence, and especially a no-kids-invited wedding every weekend.

It is so important for couples to spend alone time, too.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
After having planned my own wedding, I have a strict "rule" that it's not ok to get upset over anything about a wedding that isn't your own. The bride and groom get to do what they want to do and that's that. So if they don't want to have kids at their wedding, they don't have to. No one gets to be irritated about that..

However,

The bride and groom don't get to control other people, nor assume that they understand what their family life is like. They must understand that if they ban children from their wedding, some people *may not come.* This may include close family. It's not appropriate for those without kids (as most getting married couples would be), or anyone really, to assume what is an acceptable situation for someone else's children.

I don't leave my children in strange rooms in the care of people they don't know, as in a a nursery or childcare situation. I don't hire strangers to watch my children (as would be the case at a wedding I need to travel for, where likely everyone I know there already would be at the wedding), and when I have a young nursing baby, I don't leave them. They didn't take bottles and I don't feel like dressing up and then going in a bathroom to pump.

I won't question the decision not to have kids at a wedding, but in return, they don't get to question my decision whether or not to attend.. an invitation is an invitation, not a summons.

Secondly, while I consider not having children at a wedding a valid and individual decision, I do sometimes wonder if this decision represents a desire for control that isn't always realistic. We had no children at our wedding, simply because we got married young and none of our friends or family had any children under the age of 13. But that doesn't mean that nothing at the wedding went "wrong." And looking back, those are some of our most charming moments.

On the flipside, children do also have the potential to create some of the most beautiful moments and memories at a wedding when the bride and groom embrace their presence. My daughter was recently a flower girl at a new years eve wedding for my brother in law that ran until 1 am. There were many other children and babies and I think one of my new sister-in-law's favorite moments at the whole wedding was when she was with my two year old on the dance floor and other little boy came up and uninvited planted a giant kiss on her. There is also a beautiful photo of the bride and groom dancing with my daughters. Now, given, these two plan to have children (and soon!), so it probably really added to their sense of their new marriage bond.

In any case, I think that everyone would enjoy wedding experiences more if they stopped being annoyed at everyone else and did what was right for them. Have kids or don't have kids. Fine. Attend or don't attend. Also fine. That's my take, anyway. :-)

Nicki

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
S
S
I am all for Childfree weddings, I prefer going to them and if I get married I want to have one. What kid wants to sit through a wedding ceremony anyway...not to mention the noise, talking, running around, crying, screaming that will surely take place when the child or baby gets bored. The focus should be the couple getting married not some child gone wild...even if it's in a "cute" way. _________________________ www.ChildfreeCommunity.com The first and only social network dedicated exclusively to the Childfree!

J
J
Amen Sara! I wouldn't want any kids there either.

T
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
T
I wanted children at my wedding, if they where the children of family or fribeds, but thats me. I would expect the parents to controll any screaming babies or bored kids and they did. My husband and I wanted a laid back feel to our wedding so inviting children was natural, plus we had a flower girl and ring bearer.

Of course your wedding is your day so i fyou dnt want kids thats entirely up to you. However, if you have family members or friends who have kids and have to travel to get to your wedding I would say dont be offended if they dont come. It might be tough to combine child care and travel.

I also agree that if the invitation does not name the kid or say and family its extremely rude to bring them.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.