Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Yeah, Jeanette, I agree. I realized that it was aimed at teenagers and appreciated that, but what I didn't appreciate was that IMO, it's aimed at teenagers in the 1950's LOL, and even they were probably more risque. I mean, as if a 90 yr old vampire is going to be sexless, to me it adds to the whole Cinderella fairy tale myth that young girls are brought up with.
I wasn't surprised to hear that the author is a devout Christian, I've read much better teen books.

The Secret Circle trilogy by L.J Smith, about a coven of witches are far superior books IMO, and was written years before Twilight, and is also much more realistic to it's readers, I know it was made into a TV show for a while, but it could have been a great movie.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
Sponsored Post Advertisement
ravel #506434 03/28/09 06:22 PM
Hey there, I always enjoy vampire movies. Twilight was abit young in the sense of character, lifestyle with very predictable story board. I still put Underworld 1 & 2 at my toplist. =) Just me, Alda

alda #508655 04/03/09 05:12 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I'm reading Twilight at the moment, and I must say, so far I'm so impressed with the writing - I think Meyer's great. A fantastic inspiration for a teen writer such as myself, she sets the mood brilliantly from the start.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I finally read Twilight last month,and just got New Moon from the library. It was good. I'm looking forward to seeing it on video.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor
I wasn't surprised to hear that the author is a devout Christian, I've read much better teen books.

Originally Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor
I'm reading Twilight at the moment, and I must say, so far I'm so impressed with the writing - I think Meyer's great. A fantastic inspiration for a teen writer such as myself, she sets the mood brilliantly from the start.

OK Steve, which is it? wink

I really liked the books, the movie (as with all movies that I read the book first) - I was disappointed. There was just so much left out. Although the director did capture a lot more than I thought she would. Because honestly, this book is not as much about vampires as it is about teen love and all that "angst" that goes along with. The vampire stuff just makes it more fun and exciting.

I will write up my real review one day, I promise. But let me say, I hated Robert Pattinson in the role of Edward. He wayyyyyy overplayed the tortured vampire bit. I am hoping for more out of New Moon especially since we will see more of Jacob. I think that kid is a cutie (but he would not have been my first choice for the role either, too young (I thought Steven Straight who played Warren Peace in Sky High would have been perfect). But I got that little glimpse of hard anger in his eyes at the end of the movie, and he may do better than I think. Plus my 11 yr old daughter is totally in love with him. If they find someone else she will probably go picket Hollywood! LOL!

If Jensen Ackles (Supernatural) or Scott Porter (Friday Night Lights) were just a little younger I would be pushing like crazy for one of them to be Edward. (Jordan wants Jensen Ackles, I showed her a picture of him, and she is crushing all over the place! - He is a little hottie.)

Another guy I like is Ben Barnes from "stardust" and "Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Tristan" - although he is dark haired, so there's not enough contrast - but they could color his hair!

I just really like anyone but Pattinson. He was good in "Harry Potter". What happened to him here?

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
HAHA - I know, I noticed my quotes being complete opposites Michelle. I actually thought Twilight was another teen book I'd read years ago, but then after seeing the movie and discussing it, realised it wasn't (it was Twilight something though I'm sure smile )
I'm reading it now, I saw the movie first, so I did have that in my head, but I'm really impressed with Meyers writing - the first chapter sets the tone brilliantly.

I disagree to a certain extent on Robert Pattinson in the role of Edward, I think he's very hot, he has beautiful features, cheek-bones etc, but I do think he looked rather menacing in certain parts where he should have been looking in love LOL. He actually admitted this in an interview on Myspace though LOL. I also, don't know who agrees with this - loved his hair LOL. My friend thought it looked ridiculous, but I'm thinking of going for it myself HAHA.

I think Jensen Ackles would have been good too (but they have three, maybe four movies to make don't forget and look how fast Harry Potter grew up - and Jensen can't pass for a teen any more. Jared Padalecki would have been good I think, just lighten his hair, but all these actors have links. I'm glad they cast a rather unkown in the part. I wish they'd do more of that.

I thought Taylor Lautner looked a bit of a minger in the movie, but then I saw him with his hair short - and (as we were discussing Michelle) what a difference a hair style makes - he looks a thousand times better looking. I didn't even recognise him LOL.

TBH, the one I thought was miscast was Bella - I'm so sick of seeing the 'good girl next door' look in these teen movies. I know it's so all girls can relate, but I just think she should have been stunning, although she might mature into it. I do think she's attractive, but it's lucky Edward's so attracted to her blood, because I don't think he'd have noticed her otherwise (he says sarcastically) LOL.

With most books though, you have the character in your mind, so when it goes to movie, they never live up to it. I didn't like Sissy Spaceck as Carrie, I thought her performance was outstanding - fantastic, but Carrie was suppossed to be a pretty, overweight girl with pimples in the book. Not a skinny, plain girl - but that's another subject. I just mean, the characters are always set in your head, so they never live up to it when you see the movie smile

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Exactly!

That is why I try to not read the book first if I know I am going to be reviewing the movie - but oh well.

I purposely didn't read Watchmen until after I saw the movie because I wnated "fresh eyes" for the review - and am very glad I did it that way. The movie was amazing, but the book even more so. I probably would have been disappointed if I had read first, and that movie didn't deserve disappointment.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Actually, I was going to go see Watchmen the other day (on my Birthday) but we went to see 'A Haunting in Conneticut) - which was quite good, but anyway...

My friends all said, you have to read the Watchmen book before seeing the movie (even though they mostly saw the movie first). So what do you think Michelle? Movie first, then novel? I heard there are a few differences with them, as in the book, some of the superheroes aren't as super?

Also, on about Twilight, I just watched the funniest post on youtube, where someone had bleeped out certain words on a Twilight special to make it seem like they were all cussing LOL. Mind you - the actors do swear a lot, I've noticed. And doesn't the girl who plays Bella look a lot sexier/fiestier in real life with her dark red hair? I think she should have had it more like that in the movie.
I was pleased to see the actors knew that the movie was very sexless, and seemed to find it all very amusing. Edward C is really funny in interviews, he doesn't mind making fun of himself.

Last edited by Horror_Movies_Editor; 04/07/09 03:19 PM.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
my opinion - see Watchmen before reading it. Because then you aren't sitting there going "why wasn't this in?" or "they did this out of order" or "he said that, not her", etc.

You can enjoy the movie without picking it apart.

It is a very intelligent movie - it will make you think, it's not just a sit back and enjoy, you have to get involved in this one to truly appreciate it.

Then when you read the book it just fleshes things out so much more.

I loved both!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Okay... I just finished New Moon - and I voted Team Edward. I almost voted Team Jacob because he's warm and soft and tall smile What turned my vote... spoiler alert in case you haven't read book 2...

When Edward came back, Jacob basically said he couldn't be her friend anymore. Edward didn't make that demand of her. I wanted Jacob to stay and fight, though really, what were the chances LOL.

I enjoyed both books; they reminded me what it was like to be in love when I was a teenager. All that passion and drama... the good old days LOL.

Last edited by Inspiration Deanna; 04/09/09 01:55 AM.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gillian ClassicalMusic 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.