Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#500400 03/06/09 03:15 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I will have my actual review of the movie up later today, but I had to write about this as soon as I got home from seeing it (I went to the 9 AM showing this morning, LOL)

Watchmen is Not for Children

Do not get me wrong, I loved this film - am already wanting to go back again, but this thing should have been rated "NC-17", not "R".

I strongly urge parents NOT to take their kids, even teens to see this. I especially caution parents of teenage girls about this movie. There are some elements that are just too graphic in my opinion - including a rape scene.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
Michelle, you must not go to many R-rated movies to say that this one is somehow "worse" than all the others out there. All of the violence that was in the movie was in the graphic novel.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I don't get why parents think its okay to take their children to R rated movies anyway in the USA? I used to live there, and found it unbelievable what parents would let there children see. In the UK - if it's R or 18, then you have to be over 18 to get in, and that's how it should be IMO.
I also don't get why just because something is based on a graphic novel that children should appreciate it. I mean look at Sin City and others klike that...
But mainly, I think children shouldn't be let in, it also can spoil it for adults with children and young teens running around.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I don't want my kids reading the graphic novel, either.

I'm not saying it is worse than any others. I think there are plenty of movies out these days that are getting "R" ratings that should be "NC-17" - I'm thinking particularly of horror movies. I used to be a huge horror film fan - but realized that I haven't seen one in years, because they are all blood, gore and chopping people to bits.

I think it was the combination of everything all at once in the film. Like I said - for an adult that can take away the meaning behind the film, it is excellent. But I just don't think it is appropriate for kids who will not get the nuances, but will only see the visuals.

And I must admit that my personal experience with rape did put me in a very uncomfortable position with that one scene. It was very hard to watch, but it actually had a very important part in the film.

Some would argue that these scenes could have been left out and only referenced, and I don't agree with that. I think seeing these scenes made everything more powerful. I sat quite stunned through most of the movie. I just don't think it is for kids.

That is why I wrote 2 separate articles, one review - with my actual thoughts on the film, and this other with my thoughts about it being too graphic for kids.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
My kids don't get to see "Sin City" or "300" either.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I don't get the whole R rating, it seems pointless, I don't know anyone that goes to see a movie before taking their children, if that's their intention.
I don't agree that all horror is overtly gory, it depends on the film.
This discussion all comes back to cencorship. If a child can go in a library or comic book store and read and see the visual violence that is also in the film, it's kinda pointless, but I agree children shouldn't see adult films.
I don't agree they should be stopped from seeing a naked man though, it's completley natural and like you said, he glows LOL. But then it all comes back to what one as an individual deams okay for their children.
A lot of kids will go and see this without their parents permission though, I know lotsa kids that do that. It can add to the thrill I think.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor

I don't agree that all horror is overtly gory, it depends on the film.

Ok - that was a very sweeping and unfair statement that I made. I've just been very frustrated with the number of "slasher" films vs psychological horror films lately. Venting my frustration I suppose. grin

I don't agree they should be stopped from seeing a naked man though, it's completley natural and like you said, he glows LOL. But then it all comes back to what one as an individual deams okay for their children.

For older kids - no this isn't such a bad thing, this statement I was thinking of the younger ones. The nudity itself is kind of - not important in the film. There's nothing sexual about it at all, it just kind of is.

The main reason I wrote this article was for parents who have not read the graphic novel, who have only seen the cool commercials on tv (or whose kids have seen the cool commercials.) This is for those parents that are thinking that this is going to be on the same lines as all the other comic book films like "Spiderman" and "X-Men". I can just picture a mom taking her 9 yr old daughter into this movie because her daughter thinks the Silk Spectre is this generation's Wonder Woman - and then Mom freaks out because her daughter just got a faceful of glowing, blue [censored].

The whole issue comes down to parents need to be responsible for what their kids see. They need to read the reviews, pay attention to the ratings - and WHY they got the ratings.

Oh, BTW -

I don't know anyone that goes to see a movie before taking their children, if that's their intention.

You've just met someone. I even read books before my kids do. My oldest son almost did not get to finish the Harry Potter series because I felt it had gotten too violent and mature for him at the time. He had to wait an extra year. I read the entire Twilight series before I would let my daughter. And I always rent a film before we buy it (unless it is rated G or PG).

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I'm actually quite pleased to meet a Responsible adult LOL. My aunt, and don�t get me wrong � I adore my aunt, she lives in Florida, and she took my 16, and 12 year old cousins to see �The Ring� � and they were absolutely terrified LOL. She wouldn�t even let them leave because she�d paid for the tickets, we all found it funny at the time, even the kids, after.

I just still find it so amazing that anyone with an adult (or appearing as an adult) can just go into see R rated movies which are stated as for over 17 - it amazes me, especially when I think how disturbing, gory and violent films have become over the last few decades. I think the U.K�s classification is much more responsible.

I agree with you about the Watchmen trailers, I just saw one and they�re aimed very much at children, I think. Then in the small print it says �violence etc� � but then again, over here, no kids will get in. They wouldn�t even let my cousin in over here to see that terrible re-make of �Prom Night� until she showed her ID � and there is no violence shown in that film, or swearing � its just all suggested.

I wouldn�t ever read a book before a child, even though some can be disturbing, I think that�s taking censorship too far in my opinion, and I don�t really see that it would stop someone intent on going to read a book when they can get it from the library. You must have well behaved kids smile LOL

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
My oldest son has Asperger's, and has a very difficult problem with rage, violence and a few other things. Even in reading books, I try not to let him be exposed to too much violence. This was when he was 12, now that he is 17 - of course he reads more. I just like to always read the books, too - so that I can discuss them with them.

As far as my daughter goes, she's only 11. I knew that the Twilight series was a vampire and romance series. I didn't know it was actually geared for younger readers. Being an Anne Rice and Laurell K. Hamilton fan myself - I wanted to make sure there were not any sexual scenes in the book like those. She's not ready for THAT explicit, yet.

My kids know that all of our books in our library downstairs will one day be available to them, if not now. But being major SciFi/Fantasy and Horror lit readers - my husband and I have some books that are just not appropriate for their ages.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I can see why you would do that, it's just most ppl don't do they? So I guess you don't hear it that often, but if you're reading them anyways as well. What are the Twilight books like BTW? Worth checking out? I quite liked the movie - it was a bit tame, but sweet.
I was reading Point Horror and Nancy Drew books around 11 LOL - it takes me back. I think I read Carrie by King when I was around 12/13 - but I think that's quite a mild book, on a different subject - the most horrific book I ever read was named 'Lets Go Play At the Adams' by Mendal Johnson, which my aunt bought me, cos she knew I loved horror. This was at age 13 - and on the cover it said "more scary than Lord of The Flies and The Excorsist combined" - and OMIGOD - that book has haunted me all my life, I've never actually spoken to anyone else that read it - I know online it has a huge hate relationship.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gillian ClassicalMusic 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.