Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RNS Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Okay, after two days of the Bettafix treatment, Zeta still is not showing much improvement, but I know it is still early. I did notice that his fins and tail are now loosing the red color that seemed to be getting worse, so i think he really did have fin/tail rot and that is going away. However, his tail still looks frayed. He is still NOT swimming around much, making bubble nests, eating or flaring. He comes up for air and then sits on the bottom either slightly sideways (to rest I guess) or with his face in the gravel. Half the time I think he is dead. I just want to see him looking happy and healthy and flaring at his own reflection. Today will be day number 3 of his treatment. I just wish he would start eating so he could get stonger. I also notice what looks like a possible cottony growth forming, but it is too hard to tell if that it is really cottony or just messed up scales. I am going to keep an eye on this for ick, but so far it does not look like ick. Bettafix says it is good for cottony growths as well, so I will keep you all posted.

Next, my niece Haley named her Betta (also won on the boardwalk) Angel. Her sister and brother got jelous so their mom (my sister) went out and bought two more Bettas. Now my niece Haley is very upset as the two new Betta's are bigger and more active then hers. Angel does swim, blow bubble beds, and flare, but he is NOT eating and my sister (after reading about fin rot) thinks he may be sick, so she bought the medicine. But you know a 9 year old girl. She wants a new one because she is worried hers is too weak. I told her to give the medicine time and that Angel is smaller because he is younger. ( I know from experience that they do grow as the get bigger) I also told her that this medicine should perk him back up and he will be as active as the others. Did I giver her the right advice? He is on day two of medicine today. I just feel bad because my mom was so happy to buy her this fish and now she is upset and worried about him because she sees other fish being more "healthy".

I will keep you all posted on the progress of both fish. I couldn't do all of these without all of you. Thank you.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Glo Offline
Shark
Shark
Well to be honest with you things with Zeta aren't sounding really good, but yes it is still early in the treatment. I don't like the sounds of the cottony growth. The other little fish for you niece sounds little but like overall it is definately holding it s own and hopefully will grow big and beautiful as the others. Maybe this will be a great time to teach alittle girl that just like it takes time for her to grow, it takes time for bettas too, and since it is younger she will probably have it longer if she takes really good care of it, and she will enjoy watching it grow.

Good Luck Does Zeta have salt in his water too?

Glo

[imageBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Hi Rns, iagree that Zeta does not sound good. the cotton is fungus. A secondary infection that is hard to shake. Keep up the salt, heat and bettafix. PLease read this article I wrote about betta treatment:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art16478.asp

When bettas start lying upside down with their head in the gravel, that's a very bad sign. I hope you can save him but he might well die. I don't think this is your fault - I think the cold boardwalk situation is at fault, and that person giving out those fish should learn to stop. bettas cannot be chilled like that and NOT get sick - very sick.

anyway, hang in there, and tell your niece what you think is going on. it's not her fault either.

I think Emg should send you her hand-raised, healthy betta babies. fish fish fish

RNS Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Oh no, he is not laying upside down at all. He rests on the bottom and his body will either lean to the side (not all the way sideways) or he will rest at the bottom and place his little nose in the gravel. But he is not upside down. As far as the cottony growth, it is really too hard to say if that is even what it is. I can only seem to see it iat a certain angle with a certain light.

I am using salt, but only put it in two days ago. How often do you add the salt. I thought is was a one time thing, but maybe I am wrong. I am glad to see the red fading away on his fins though. I am trying my best. If he passes, I will be okay, but I will feel awful if my neices passes. Luckily he seems much healthier than my Zeta.

As for the fungus, can Bettafix help that if that is what it is, or would I need something else? I do have ick treatment at home as well, but have not used it.

Glo Offline
Shark
Shark
I only used the salt 1 time too, but when I changed half the water on day 3 I replaced 1/2 tsp of salt with the half gal of new water I added. Salt doesn't evaporate into the air and like you I was not sure on how much concentration was good for bettas so I kep it to 1 tsp per gal of water..replacing it appropriately ONLY if I removed it.

I don't know about the fungus stuff...maybe send Jilly a personal message she may know more about treating a secondaryinfection if in fact tht is what t is.

Yes if he passes it WAS NOT you, you plugged right in to treat him as best you could. It is sad that these beautiful fish get subjected to some pretty poor conditions sometimes.

Glo

[imageBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Glo Offline
Shark
Shark
If you make a trip to our local fish store or pet sho See if they have something called Maroxy and read the info. I used this when breeding angels to help prevent egg fungas before they reached the wiggler stage. It may be something that could help a fungus. It comes in a liquid so I think you can get the dose down to something close to what you need for Zeta in his liitler tank.

To behonest I do not have a clue if you can add it along with the Betta Fix but considering Betta fix is all natural my guess is it woud be just fine. The call will have to be yours in the end, but you could go read about the product.
Glo

RNS Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
And if it isn't really fungus....... Would it hurt him?

Glo Offline
Shark
Shark
No I don't think it would But I do want you to go read about it yourself. I parent raised my angels which means the adults were in the same tank with the eggs while being treated with Maroxy for 2 days waiting for the wiggler stage...it doesn't disrupt the bio filter and certainly didn't hurt the healthy fish at all...still spawning like crazy I just don't raise the angels anymore.

Glo

RNS Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I am going to the pet store this afternnon to get a thermometer and read up on Maroxy and some other fungal meds I saw. I might wait to see if it gets any worse (like I said, I could only think I saw it at a certain angle in a certain light), but I will rush right to the store if I think it got any worse. The store is walking distance to my home, so it isn't a hassle for me (and i pass it on the way home from work every day). Once I know the temp, I am going to get out one of my reptile pads and place a small part of the tank over it. Oh, and just an FYI. My Betta will get his third dose of medicine when I get home from work today, so technically he has not been on it for a full 48 hours yet.

Glo Offline
Shark
Shark
Found this on the Bettas R Us site info on dosage of maroxy for 1 gal tank.

Maroxy�
by Mardel Laboratories Inc
Ingredients
Stabilized chlorine oxides
T
Dosage :

Shake well

For Aquarium use: Use 1 drop per gallon on all fish exept those of the Tetra group.

For Tetras - 1 drop for every 2 gallons

For Marine Fish - For Lymphocystis use 1 drop for every gallon daily in a bare aquarium
Glo

Quantity- 1 Fl Oz
Avg. Price - $1.77
Technical Information
Directions: Read enclosed brochure carefully before use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mary_Betta_Fish 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.