logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#498656 03/01/09 08:41 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Michelle saw this on my Facebook account and asked that I post it here. So, I am...

Trapped.

I'm sure everyone's felt that at some point in their lives. Imagine feeling trapped by something you love and trying to reconcile your love for that thing and what you've been taught.

I'm a pretty free spirit. At least, I like to think I am. You say, "Jump!" I say, "For what purpose? Does this benefit you or me or the rest of the world? Why is jumping so important to you? Maybe I prefer tumbling..." God forbid your answer isn't to my liking. I can turn any request into a debate and if you're not prepared, you may end up saying, "Hmmm...she's right! This /does/ violate the US Constitution..." (everything does, these days but that's another note for another time).

All my life, my parents and church have tried to enforce rules that are "in the Bible" on me. Of course, I always had the "Show me" attitude which got me in more than enough trouble for the entirety of my school career, but still. Show me in the Bible where it says, "Thou shalt not drink alcohol AT ALL" or "Thou shalt not pierce thy body" or even "Thou shalt not tattoo thyself."

My Bible says, "All things are lawful to me, but not all things are expedient." This is New Testament law, I'm talking about. In Christ, I'm free... I, personally, think there's waaaaaaaaaay too much thought and effort put into the Christian way of life by most fundaMENTALists out there that they miss the joy Jesus promises.

"By their fruits ye shall know them," the response comes back. Excellent. How many people have considered Christianity as a viable alternative to their lifestyle because you wear skirts that come to at least the bottom of your knee, have no piercings or tattoos, don't drink alcohol and walk around feeling pretty much miserable about life?

How many have said to me, "You're a Christian? That's unpossible! You're COOL!"

I rest my case.

The only thing that I -have- to do is show people the Love of Christ. And even that I don't -have- to do. I choose to do it. It's easier to overlook someone's faults for the wonderfulness and uniqueness of the person. Of course, tick me off enough and I'll stop seeing anything of value in you. C'mon, gimme a break... I -am- human, after all!

So, after I graduated from the hell-hole that was my fundaMENTAList college, I vowed to put the FUN back into FUNdamentalism. I went out and got my navel pierced. My mom flipped her lid. Then I started to develop the psychic gifts God had given me (I didn't say 'blessed me with' because there are times...I don't really see it as a blessing. It's not fun seeing those pesky demons...but, that's another note for another time). I eventually even got a "naughty" piercing (which ripped out a year later...oh, well).

Now, I'm sitting here recalling my father's words when he taught Children's Church: "If you're going to permanently etch something on your body, it'd better be important."

:-D

I go into SoCal Tattoo on April 6 for a design that I finally decided upon because of it's personal significance to me. Since it's something only important to me (and I'm too lazy to use makeup to cover it when I wear halters and evening gowns), I'm putting it in a location not easily viewed by the populace: right pelvis.

What is this design, I hear you ask. It's a 3-nail cross with 3 sets of wings behind it and the date March 3, 1982 etched into nails that form the crossbeam.

Here's the meaning:

3 Nails: Crucifixion was a nasty was to die. Normally, the person was tied to the roughly cut cross beams. Jesus was nailed. One spike in each hand and one through both feet. They held Him there for my sins.

3 Sets of Wings: I love Seraphs. Michael and Gabriel I've always imagined as these terrifying angels. "...each had six wings. With twain he covered his face, with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly..."

March 3, 1982: This is the day I accepted Christ as my Savior. I was 4 and I was walking with my sister to the library. We stopped at a stop sign and I prayed "Dear Jesus, I know I am a sinner. Please forgive me of all the bad, ugly wrong I've done and come into my heart and save me. Thank you, Jesus. I love you. Amen." My sister asked me how I felt and I said, "Like a snow man! I'm all white inside!"

Liberation.

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
"[Kryssie] plans to take over the world one banner at a time"
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Thanks Kryssie - I just thought this was beautiful, and perfectly sums up a lot of what we have been talking about in the "Religion and Spirituality" discussion.

Getting caught up in someone else's rules and ideas of how one "ought" to behave just really defeats the purpose.

It is all about a personal journey and understanding.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Kryssie, that is very interesting and enlightening - thank you for sharing. I have always felt as Michelle says, it is a personal journey. We each have our own understanding and path.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain

Moderated by  Debbie-SpiritualityEditor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.