logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Although I don't watch TV a lot, I do have to say that Food TV is amongst my favorite programming out there with 'Good Eats' being in my top 'fab five'.

What are your favorite food programs and why?

Last edited by Jason Personal Chef; 02/27/09 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I love Food Network. Paula Deen is one of my favorites. I like all that southern comfort food.

Also on Bravo, the show Top Chef is one of my fav's because of the competition factor. You get that with Iron Chef on Food TV too...

Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I agree. Paula's shows are 'feel-good' shows that make the process look straight-forward and fun. Love her laugh and down-to-earthness.

Top Chef is another one I love as well as chopped.

Iron Chef is at another level. The original one grew on me and once it did I was an Iron Chef junkie, but I have to admit that Iron Chef America took a little bit of time for me to get with it. It's a good show, but I didn't think it had the same feel and flair of the original Iron Chef. I'm good with it now and love the dishes they come up with on the fly like that.

Anybody seen Dinner Impossible or Chef Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares? another one of my favorites. I think mainly because he goes into a pretty dim situation and most of the time does a complete turn around. It really speaks to the heart of people and their challenges with seeing and overcoming their fears.

GOOD STUFF!!!

F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
I LOVE Food Network! I also LOVE both Dinner Impossible and Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. I'm such a foodie and I always wanted my own restaurant.

I also love Paula, Everyday Italian (Giada DeLaurentis) and Unwrapped. Good Eats is very informative, too.

Food Network has a great line-up with all of their shows. And I agree, Jason, Iron Chef America doesn't have the same feel of the original Iron Chef. Could it be the dubbed translations? And I like when people say, "This food makes me very happy." LOL. That is a great compliment. Ok, so the execution of the meal was technically correct but how does your food make the diner feel? That is art!!!

R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
My guy Sakai on Iron Chef (the old series). According to one bio source, it said he knew at age 10 he wanted to be a chef as he never wanted to go hungry. That touched me. He also seems like a down to earth real person, too.

When someone can lose a challenge that I know they take to heart; and lift up the other person's arm in victory - that is one heck of a person in my book!

Iron Chef America was okay, but I agree - the old show had more "something" to it.

Paula Deen and Emeril Lagasse are my two favorite cooking hero people. Their personalities and talent go hand in hand.

Chef Ramsay - wow - I don't think I could ever cook for him....but I love watching him.

I miss Ready, Set, Cook! It was a show where people take $10 and buy some groceries. They introduced two cooks and then the people were paired up with a cook. They emptied their bags one by one and the cook had a few minutes to decide what to cook. The people who had bought the groceries were the sous chefs - YEAH - put me on that game show!!!

And the early cooking show with Graham Kerr as the Galloping Gourmet - my grandmother used to watch him. He kinda looked like the late Paul Benedict who played Bentley on "The Jeffersons".

And Julia Child - who knew she had been a spy???? Wow - now a movie about her life needs to be made!

I also miss Juston Wilson - I "gare own tee" (guaranty)!

Hmmmmmm.....I guess I like quite a few of them, huh?

Robin Rounds Whittemore
Sitcoms Website
Sitcoms Forum
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I like Kitchen Nightmares a lot better than I do Hell's Kitchen. He is just a bit too abrasive for me on that one. I understand the need to teach them what it's going to be like, but belittleing doesn't sit well with me in any context. Kitchen Nightmares on the other hand I love...

I've never seen Chopped though I've heard it is pretty good.

I liked Dinner Impossible when it was still with Robert Irvine. I like Michael Seymons but I just can't bring myself to get into it without Robert! lol... Do you know what happened to him or why he didn't continue to do the show this season?

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
But "Iron Chef America" has Alton Brown - I love him!!!! I would have thought since you enjoy "Good Eats" you would have liked "ICA" as well.

I am addicted to Top Chef. I've been trying to get my brother to audition ever since the 1st season. He has the skills plus the *ahem* to make it on there. Although he would have to learn to cuss a lot more than he does now.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I like Alton Brown too... He's awesome. One of the things I find interesting about Good Eats are the camera angles. The camera that appears to be in the pot or the fridge or the oven is awesome lol... He is also very informative. I like him on Iron Chef America, but it's not one that watch every week.

Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Originally Posted By: friendlygirl4u
I LOVE Food Network! I also LOVE both Dinner Impossible and Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. I'm such a foodie and I always wanted my own restaurant.

I also love Paula, Everyday Italian (Giada DeLaurentis) and Unwrapped. Good Eats is very informative, too.

Food Network has a great line-up with all of their shows. And I agree, Jason, Iron Chef America doesn't have the same feel of the original Iron Chef. Could it be the dubbed translations? And I like when people say, "This food makes me very happy." LOL. That is a great compliment. Ok, so the execution of the meal was technically correct but how does your food make the diner feel? That is art!!!

EXACTLY!!! How does the food make you "feel". That's what it gets down to. I remember coming up in the kitchen under my aunt's foot watching all the things she used to do. She could cook everything and it was an effortless thing for her. No recipes, just 'FEEL'. Sometimes I think we've lost a bit of that and it's, if not thee most important part of the meal, one of them and in a MAJOR way!!!

And as far as the "ART" statement... I think if we approached food from that mindset that we'd always put our best 'food' forward and give it all it deserves.

GREAT COMMENT friendlygirl4u!

Thx

Last edited by Jason Personal Chef; 02/27/09 08:31 PM.
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
FLASHBACK!!!

Robin, Robin, Robin...

You just dived into my food memory archives girl! I love those shows and grew up on them.

By the way...

Looks like Julia put all of those information gathering techniques together to become queen of a booming industry! Julia Child is one of my all time favorites. She made it okay to mess up and not beat yourself up about it. Loved her accent too. grin

And as for Juston Wilson... I never knew what he was going to pull out of his bag of seasoning tricks, but I knew it was going to be "Onyun, Garlic..." I Guarantee!!! LOL

Awesome trip down memory lane!!! And great founders of the cooking TV world.

Does anyone remember Yan Can Cook?
PBS Junkie 101 whistle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.