Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 46 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 45 46
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Whenever I see an animal along the highway, I always immediately pray "Grandfather, please protect him." Road kill always depresses me, so I offer an apology for the waste. I don't know that it helps any, but it makes me feel better in a way.

On the other hand, I dreamed of baby woodpeckers last night. I haven't seen our woodpeckers lately, so I'm hoping this is a sign they will be returning to the nest nearby soon.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
The woodpeckers in our area started out with just two every morning. Now we have about nine in the original group (blackbacked) and seven in a new group (flickers). In time, they will come.

I dreamed about cougars again last night. One lay at the foot of my bed and watched out the window.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
what does your window look out upon?

these cougars could be protecting you from or looking forward to something for you.

I usually tell the (roadkill) animals that I am sorry.

-----------------------

Our purple finches are back to nest on our front porch for the 3rd year. Great fun as they are the state bird for NH where I am from.

Also saw a big flock of starlings take off, they too signify spring to me like the finches. Even though they feel terribly early for this New England girl.

Had a scarlet cardinal last week matched with a raptor. Not sure what kind, but he was massive (least a 6' wingspan) with a blonde belly. I was just happy to see something other than a turkey vulture.

Funny thing is that a friend (Red Coyote) called me and said to look for both of these birds when I had already seen them. He and I have kind of a mental totem game of telephone. I call him and he calls me then we see if the other got the message.

Finally, I wish that my bird ID was better. Yes, I have taken several wildlife courses including bird ID and have several bird books, including an Audubon from the 30's. But I just cannot seem to remember them all.

Last edited by Wendy Tall One; 02/24/09 10:41 PM.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

Originally Posted By: Wendy Tall One
what does your window look out upon?

these cougars could be protecting you from or looking forward to something for you.

That is really a good question and makes me feel better. My bedroom window looks out towards a building with eight apartments in it that seem to have all the party people of the whole complex living there. These people are often quite loud late at night and disturb our sleep.

I love finches. We get several when I put out bread crumbs on the patio.

I would love to take some Audobon courses. That must be fun!

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 02/25/09 11:20 AM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
I am soooo thrilled! Due to two book reviews I wrote, plus helping to get the word out to promote them, I won a limited edition sculpture from the author of the books. This sculpture is a Cougar! My totem, my power animal!

The books are Wild Inferno and Wild Sorrow, both by Sandi Ault. They are fantastic reads!

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 02/27/09 02:21 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Congrats to you, Phyllis...congrats! Don't you just love validation when it takes you completely by surprise?

My husband has been pretty sick - he's better now. Long story short....has muscular dystrophy, polycythemia and recently diagnosed with emphasema. Took a really bad fall and obliterated his right hamstring and groin muscles. We went to hospital, listened to drs....worried....denied....then he realized what we needed was right here in this house. He went to Uncle (Lakota Elder) with tobacco and asked him to pray for him and asked for a healing. We spent several days away at the hospital, but David felt Uncle's helpers around him. That week the Eagles were present alot around our house. Perched in trees....flying...circling over the house. Everyday the Eagles came and prayed with Cecil and took his prayers up. When you need the help and the help is asked for sincerely and humbly, it comes. The animals wait for us to ask for their help. I believe that.

I'm like you, Wendy. I always tell the ones dead on the road how sorry I am. Sometimes I bring them home and put them under a big fur tree clear at the end of our property. I always do a little bit of a ceremony and let their spirits know that it's okay to stay with us here.

So many animal stories to share.....soooooo little time....

Eagles are the messengers to Great Spirit and take our prayers skyward. I truly believe that.

We see a lot of Golden Eagles around our area. Some are quite large. The Bald Eagles we see around Washo Lake are huge! - and so majestic.

Too often, we forget that our Elders are a good source of help. I am so happy for you, Connidee that you have your Uncle near. I send my prayers and blessings for you and your husband.

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 02/27/09 05:16 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Connidee's healing story is so great, and I have another to share. The former Vice Chief of the Cherokee of Georgia was in a horrible car wreck many years ago. The doctors' told him he would never walk.

He lives near the Okeefenokee Swamp and the eagles circled above once he returned home from the hospital. Needless to say many prayers were lifted on his behalf and his recouperation completely confounded the medical "experts."

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Thank you, both of you, for sharing such spiritual and heartfelt stories. It is knowledge like this that makes my heart soar.

I saw a whole family of quail early this morning. The woodpeckers are out back, really busy today.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
I't sunny this morning...cold, but sunny....Spring has got to be just around the corner. Our house is not AC so when the temps get higher we need to sleep with our windows open....would rather do that anyway. But I can't wait b/c many nights we can hear the coyotes calling. One night at least one was just outside our bedroom window and called out. Brought me STRAIGHT up in bed. I love to hear them. The raccoons come by with there little ones to eat the cat food and they trill and chatter. Always smell the skunkies that come around. I don't find that smell offensive. I love skunks. Does anybody ever have the sense that there is an animal close, but you can't see it or hear it?

Page 7 of 46 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 45 46

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/21/24 01:27 PM
Fabric Flowers for Spring
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/15/24 10:40 PM
Review - Animated Illustrations by Jamie Bartlett
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/14/24 02:52 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/13/24 08:26 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/13/24 06:20 PM
Review - Adobe Animate Essential Training
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Learn EVERYTHING about Creating Repeat Patterns
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:04 PM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.