Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Andso? Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
I was looking ahead at my weekend, and the things that I do... and wondered what you all do with your time...when you are not relaxing and loving your husbands... or loving yourselves...

Last edited by Andso?; 02/19/09 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
um, i am usually at work by 7:45 in the morning and don't get to leave many days of the time until about 6 or 7 in the evening because of trainings, inservices, deadlines, etc., sometimes later. then i bring work home with me because i don't have enough time while i'm at work to do it all (i'm a teacher, and i am also a department leader, and i'm also in charge of several committees that i do NOT want to be on, but i have no choice, plus i tutor my students before and an after school and during lunch).

so my time is limited when i'm not doing stuff with work. i complained once about the time i'm putting in (most of the other teachers arrive at 8:30 and leave at 4, but they're the ones who get 2 and a half hours free a day without classes), and someone told me, "well, you don't have kids, so it doesn't matter." so i guess this is what i'm expected to do. grrr. and i don't even get paid extra, which really seems to chap my hide sometimes ya know?

however, if i do get to come home before dark (not often lately), i'll walk to the nature preserve behind my apartment and spend an hour in the woods just watching hawks, bobcats, armadillos, etc. sometimes i'll be out there late enough to see the owls waking up and starting their nightly haunts. then i come back, cook up a quick dinner (my boyfriend is usually over, so he helps), put a netflix in the dvd player if i'm not having to grade papers or call parents of students or call committee members, and just chill with my movie.

weekends are easier. wake up around 6, spend some time at the computer like i'm doing now, read a bit, go to the woods, spend time with my parents and my boyfriend, go to the nursing home to see my friend christine (i'm hoping to go today).

i also throw in band concerts and gymnastics meets throughout the week for my niece and nephew and carting them around on weekends when they need rides.

it's not a glamorous life in my opinion. it's stressful because of work. i really want to get home at 5 like everyone else gets to, but that's never going to happen at the school where i am now. don't worry, i'm considering options. lol.

i would say thank goodness for summer vacation, but it's full of meetings and inservices as well. i have a trip planned to ireland with my dad, but i had to plan it around testing schedules, meetings, summer classes, etc.

Shark
Shark
sorry, just realized that all i did was whine. :oops:

i do feel grateful that when i get home, i don't have to worry about feeding kiddos or bathing them or doing more laundry or helping with homework. i can't imagine what it would be like if i had that responsibility too. i don't know how i would cope. i'd definitely find another job if that were the case.

so when i do have the weekend or any time to myself, i try my best to enjoy it. reading has become part of my nightly ritual again. i used to just crash in the bed and fall asleep, but now i try to unwind with a book. i fall asleep about 2 words in, but at least i can say "i went to sleep reading a book last night" lol.

Most weekends are pretty much the same... sleeping in, volunteering at the humane society, catching up from the busy week I had (tidying up the house, doing laundry, watering my plants, etc.). But once a month or so, DH and I have been taking weekend trips, especially if there's a 3-day weekend. Last weekend, we flitted off to Richmond VA just to be someplace we had never been before. We checked out the zoo, the museum of fine arts, and the Edgar Allan Poe musuem; did a little shopping; ate some Indian food; stayed at great hotels. It was an awesome weekend.

C
Shark
Shark
C
Pretty much whatever I want that's morally acceptable laugh

A
Andso? Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
I literally lounge around. I practise, and read and watch TV!! I love it. I love travelling but haven't been able to travel much in the last few years. But boy do I love it. My husband and I are TV addicts...so we spent just about the whole weekend naked watching TV. We try to go out for dinner every week.... or not... just go with the flow

Last edited by Andso?; 02/23/09 03:47 AM.
B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B

I usually like to watch TV, but lately I have fallen hard for playing Rockband 2!! Absolutely love it and have gotten very good at the guitar. It's something that you can enjoy either playing by yourself or your husband. It's even better when you have a lot of friends over. You can really pass the time playing Rockband.

Something else I normally like to do is exercise. I have felt very down lately because I have been confined to a chair most of the time. I have been dealing with a ruptured disk in my lower back over the last couple of years. I have been getting by on steroid pain injections over the last year, but in January I got sick, and the coughing made my back pain go from managable to severe. I'm happy to say that I got another injection yesterday and am feeling much better. But my recent pain has taught me that I need to slow down my physical activity drastically. I pretty much have to cut out all of my aerobic exercise and focus only on the doctor-prescribed back exercises. I am wearing a back brace and can't lift over 10 lbs right now. Imagine having to deal with this with a child in tow! My husband has been waiting on me night and day for the past month!! Ladies, I can't stress the importance of taking care of your back. Don't "challenge" yourself on lifting things as I used to do, and be mindful of your posture. I hope none of you have to go through my experience.

A
Andso? Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
I am so sorry to hear that Beth_m, I really am. I really hope you will recover soon, and that you will be able to regain some normalsy in your life soonest. Thanks for the heads up... I've actually been getting a little over the top myself...with the weight training....I'll take heed.

Y
Y
I am new to the site, and I just love how supportive you all are. I work full time, plus I teach a class or two a semester at the local community college. Why do I do so much? Because I love it! I love having get togethers at our house, going on yoga retreats, and of course, just like many of you, I have the travel itch. I take off whenever I get a chance. Plus I am an avid reader, and I love having a quiet house where I can luxuriate in my newest novel. beth_m, I hope your back feels better soon. Back pain is not fun.

I work as a technical writer and part-time family law attorney. I'm also pursuing a M.A. in Counseling Psychology. I head up a local book club and I have three dogs plus a husband. I nurture my friendships and I surf the internet. I enjoy every minute of what I do. I also like to nap whenever I can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.