logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#494574 02/17/09 05:45 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi, everyone. Evidence-based practice is a term thrown around a lot these days. Despite the importance of using researched information in the practice of nursing, nurses often lack the necessary resources to find and then implement research in their practices. Furthermore, the lack of support from organizations and poor staffing levels can also affect nurses ability to utilize research.

I would love to hear how evidence-based practice has affected nursing practice around the country. Are there specific practices that should be implemented in your organization, but are not? For example, many nurses believe that it is effective to check feeding tube placement prior to administering feedings by injecting air into the tube and listening over the abdomen simultaneously. However, the evidence has indicated (for quite some time) that the analysis of gastric fluids by using pH paper is a more effective method when checking tube placement.

Please post a few lines in the forum and tell the country what is happening or not happening in your "neck of the woods" regarding evidence-based practices. I would love to hear from you...

Bethany Derricott, BSN, RN
Nursing Editor
BellaOnline - Nursing
Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
M
The one thing that I have noticed, and as a travel nurse, I work all over the country, is that it all comes down to money. Talk to any floor nurse and at some point you will hear about lack of money for supplies and equipment. So while evidence based practice is a good thing, putting it into everyday practice may be a long time in coming. Rural hospitals and small hospitals have a hard time just keeping their doors open, much less utilizing evidence based practice.

N
OP Offline
N
Hi, MariRN. Good point! However, sometimes evidence-based practice is less costly, especially when you consider patient injury and medical litigation. For example, pH paper is fairly inexpensive compared to administering tube feedings incorrectly and being sued for not following care standards that are based on evidence. Another example, assessing for Homan's sign in patients at-risk for DVTs. This could potentially harm a patient; it costs nothing to discontinue this practice and simply assess the leg visually and assess for pain. Assessing for Homan's sign and causing a PE could be financially and emotionaly expensive. While there are some evidence-based practice changes that require equipment changes, many only require changes in nursing practice.

I would love to hear what you are seeing out on the road. Thanks for your input.

Bethany Derricott, BSN, RN
Nursing Editor
BellaOnline - Nursing

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.