Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#490829 02/03/09 11:30 PM
B
beth_m Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
B

I don't know how all of you feel out there in MNK land, but I am deeply disturbed by the situation of the young woman that just had octuplets (already raising six other kids). The media doesn't inflate this part of the story much, but in case you don't know:

- She's not married
- She lives with her mother, who is worried about her daughter
and will leave her soon with 14 kids - alone.
- Making matters worse, her mother had filed bankruptcy
- She is getting some type of "compensation" for having
these kids.
- She is said to have an obsessive/compulsive problem with
children in general. I am not a psychiatrist and can't make
this call, but she thrives on having many children and has
college degrees in child care, so she does have some
extreme "fixation" on working with children.
- She is looking at a book deal and wants to be a motherhood
expert on TV (gulp). Sorry, I don't see a "Jon & Kate plus
8" story here.

I was talking with my husband over dinner about this issue - the fact that there is a "social stigma" in telling or implying to people that they are not in a viable condition to have many children. In fact, the U.S. consistently rewards people with each additional child born through tax credits. We are now in an economic recession, and nothing is being done to discourage our nation's people from having so many kids. I think Nancy Pelosi is trying to push legislation to remedy this issue, but she probably will not get much support because guess what -- you can't tell people not to have kids.

I am all for people having a lot of kids if that's what they truly want. But the government needs to create more incentives for people to have less kids, given our current economic situation. And THE MEDIA NEEDS TO STOP GLAMORIZING THIS OCTUPLETS MOM!! OK, glad I got this out of my system :-).

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I have only 2 children, I could NOT imagine have 14 kids under the age of 7!!!! Come on, that is just a little overkill. I am all for the government pushing people on public assistance to get sterilized. She is supposedly getting 2 million for a book deal. I am sorry but 2 million will be spend quickly just on the kids in what, 2 or 3 years IF she spends it all on the kids and none on herself. How is she going to get them all to school? To doctor appointments? She will probably find some nice church to mooch off of.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Originally Posted By: beth_m
I am all for people having a lot of kids if that's what they truly want. But the government needs to create more incentives for people to have less kids, given our current economic situation. And THE MEDIA NEEDS TO STOP GLAMORIZING THIS OCTUPLETS MOM!! OK, glad I got this out of my system :-).

beth_m, I couldn't agree with you more. Everything I have heard about this story sounds as if it is an extremely unhealthy situation for these poor children, and it is unfathomable to me why the government would "reward" this. If a person hoarded 14 dogs in their home (especially without the proper resources to care for them), animal control would likely show up, send the animals to a shelter, and arrest the person for animal cruelty. But when someone does this to children, it's OK? ...even encouraged?

Last edited by LoveChildfree; 02/04/09 09:41 AM.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Or as my husband said last night, if she wants to be surrounded by that many kids, babysit or go work in a day care center! LOL

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Elephant
Elephant
amen to that one!!!!

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
So what is she going to do? Do you think she's sick... I really don't understand. This morning I was in tears watching another horrific CNN coverage of this woman. I am really sad. What is wrong with her? I guess she's asking herself whats wrong with the rest of us, that we don't get it.

Last edited by Andso?; 02/11/09 08:51 PM.
Gecko
Gecko
A woman in her position that is in no way in a position to have so many children and has behaved as she has, definetely there is something going on in her brain that just ain't right.

She shows lack of responsiblity and rather than as she thinks herself as a loving and caring mother. She has no funds, has put her children in a worse position and her parents. The woman is defineltly "bonkers". I also think the doctors who performed this procedure on her should be held accountable and maybe even pay for her bills since they helped create them. This woman has hurt any woman in the fuure that is even thinking of invetro as I am thinking there will be maybe many legal issues being considered and put into place so this does not happen. And just what we need more gov to tell us how and what we can and can't do. You know us tax payers will be paying for this one somehow.

Last edited by rdywenur; 02/11/09 10:20 PM.
Y
Amoeba
Amoeba
Y
I agree with all of you. I just read the story posted in the Crime forum about her having to go into hiding because she is receiving death threats now. Which isn't too surprising, but still sad.

I agree that this woman is sick and needs to find treatment. She even said she faught depression after a work related injury years ago, or something along those lines. Maybe this is what she thinks will solve that for her?

I heard that they have a web site now so people can go on and donate money. That just makes me furious. But like my fiance said, the kids are already here so there isn't anything we can do about that and they are going to need help.
If there was something like college funds or something that the mother couldn't get a hold of, I might consider donating to the kids.

I just get so mad when I see her on the news. I think this whole thing is just something to try and get rich. Everywhere on TV now they are showing all of the parents with 8-28 kids and glamourizing (sp?) it all. So of course people are going to try and get in on that.

I don't agree with threats of violence to her, but I do agree that she needs to be put in a hospital a while and be evaluated and treated. And that doctor of hers needs to be investigated and possibly take his liscence away.

I don't understand how a woman who is on disability, no job, living with parents, etc is allowed to be given soo many children but if she wanted to adopt a child there would be no way they would give her a child!

Maybe they do need to re-evaluate the rules and process of invetro. Science is a wonderful thing sometimes, but some people aren't meant to have children, let alone 14 of them!

yota
B
beth_m Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
B

I saw the interview she did with Ann Curry on NBC's Today show. These journalists usually go into stories like this with some form of captivation, but Ann (along with the rest of the Today cast) seemed very disturbed by her interview -- their faces said a million words. All of their child care experts concurred that there's no way she will be able to provide for all these children, even if she is getting this degree in child care studies. I don't even know what you do with that type of degree -- work at a day care center :-o? The Today folks hypothesized that this woman wants to be Angelina Jolie. I think they are right. She uses that same hippie-mellowed-out lovey-dovey tone of speech like Angelina, and she has the same collagen-filled lips!! She's nuts.

Y
Amoeba
Amoeba
Y
I did hear a little bit of something on the news about how she had plastic surgery to look like Angelina Jolie. More evidence of her mental instability if you ask me.

yota
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.