logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I was * when I became fascinated by how my Mom could take crochet thread & make such beautiful laces & doilies. After bugging her for some time she tried to teach me with thread but I had problems with the thin hook. My Dad came to the rescue with thick string the kind we tied packages with. This became the first dishcloth which my Grammy bleached & used. Now it is the popular kitchen cotton. I did master the ability to crochet handkerchief edgings that I taught my friends to make. I haven't stopped crocheting since then. after making gifts for family I also crochet blankets for www.projectlinus.com MarieAZ

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Hi Everyone,

I was taught by my neice. She isn't much younger than me. She stayed with me for awhile when she was a teenager.

It has been many many years but I remember her teaching me how to do a granny square. Than she showed me how to do a ripple and I haven't stopped.

Linda Spangenburg, Crochet Editor
Crochet Website
Crochet Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I was taught by my great aunt, who taught all the girls in my mother's generation how to knit and crochet. All of her sisters except my grandmother knitted as well though I don't know about crochet.

Anyhow I was playing around with a Golden Hands magazine in the 1970s, experimenting with making strips in different stitches as I had figured out how to make them from these excellent magazines which my mother was buying. Aunt Jean saw me and gently took my crochet hook from me and showed me how to hold it. So although she didn't really teach me the stitches she showed me how to hold the hook properly.

I still have the entire Golden Hands series - it's too precious and full of memories ever to dispose of even though it's getting dated now.

I was reading your stories and laughing to myself. My friend taught me to crochet in a lesson that took all of 5 minutes. She's not very patient so I had to learn quickly. I have learned the rest from pattern books. I can tackle most things, but I prefer to use wool rather than cotton. I don't hold the needle in the normal fashion.I use my right hand to put the wool over the needle. I thought that was what my friend had done but she scolded me when she saw how I was doing it. We always have a laugh about it as I stick to the way I feel most comfortable doing it.I have since learned I don't knit properly either. The results are always good, so I suppose it does not make any difference. I love crochet and have something on the go most of the time. I quilt too, which my friend taught me in another superfast lesson.I feel so lucky to be able to do these things. My Mum knits and crochets still and she's 82.

B
B
i taught myself to crochet and ive done cardies n jumpers out of my head as i cannot follow a pattren,i understand single crochet double n trabel crochet and can read it all straght through but i still get lost help. busybee

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Holly - Crochet Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.