logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Here is the thread to discuss the book. Start chatting away! I will set up a chat time for an online discussion time.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
I started and finished reading chapter one tonight. The preface pulled me right in. I noticed a couple of interesting things and thought there were a couple hint type comments.

Right from the beginning the author shows us that Bella is unique in the way she sees the world. "Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same thing through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs." (I know the feeling, ha!)

I got a total kick out of a comment on page 14 when Bella was talking about how nervous she was about going to a new school and she says, "No one was going to bite me." I laughed so loud.

I like how the author clearly introduces the pack from the get go by their appearance and by giving all their names at once. I always hate it when authors feed a name here and there and you're left wondering who is who.

I do have a question though. I must have missed it somewhere along the way. Why is Bella moving in with her dad if she hasn't been there in a few years. Did anyone see that?

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
I thought the comment on page 14 was ironic too LOL The authors character set-ups are great!

Moe I missed it too about why, once I got into reading more, I didn't care though!

S
Shark
Shark
S
I found Twilight to be easy reading. Before I knew it I was well into the book. I laughed about the bite me comment also. Bella is moving in with dad because her mom got married again moved to Florida.

Tiger
Tiger
I agree it definitely is easy reading. I snuck ahead and read chapter 2 and she explains why the move happened in detail. I have an incredibly urge to talk about something in chapter 2 but I shall behave myself and wait until next week. smile

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
There we so many things that I really liked about this first chapter of Twilight.

I have long been a fan of Anne Rice's vampire books, but Twilight has a totally different feel. Rice's books tend to be dark and sinister, while Stephanie Meyer seems to have gotten away from that image. Even though it is raining throughout the first chapter that seems natural and inviting, since the setting is Washington.

The first Chapter did not go into great detail about Bella's reasons for going to live with her father, but I assumed from the context that is was a result of her mother's re-marriage.

There were a couple of things that I found really interesting in the description of the vampire group. It described them as "devestatingly, inhumanly beautiful." It mentions that their faces were angular and that their movements were graceful. I think that shows that Meyer intends for there to be a reason for us to view them with some admiration even if it is nothing less than their absolute beauty of form.

I also liked the old fashioned names, Edward, Emmett, Jasper, Alice and Rosalie. I have always loved the older style names and I found it interesting since vampires are supposed to be immortal.

I didn't skip ahead, but it was very tempting! I love the book so far and the preface was very griping! I'm looking forward to the discussion questions and the chat. grin

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
OK Chapter 1 Questions!

1. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?

2. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?

3. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

4. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?

5. And I know most of us are older then the characters of this book but, Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Hey Jeanette,

Are we supposed to answer the questions on the forum or are we going to have a chat to give our answers?

Tiger
Tiger
Chapter 1 Questions:

1. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? I think it's like a typical highschool scene where a new person comes in and sees everything for the first time. The cliques are easily defined so we know who belongs where. I think Mike's attachment is going to be a problem in the future.

2. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior? I think he was probably aggressive because he hasn't had a feeding in a while.

3. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? The author pulls the reader in immediately with the short preface. I'm looking forward to reading more. I'm not totally convinced on the "fuss" though.

4. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? I get the impression that Bella has spent a lot of time taking care of her mother and her mother's feelings rather than being a child. I like Charlie and even though it appears Bella has put herself into another nurturing role I think he will have a better influence on her.

5. And I know most of us are older then the characters of this book but, Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with? I totally related to Bella. From an early age I was more of an adult in my family than a child, doing the shopping, the cooking and at one time finding a new place for us to live. Although Bella is definitely closer to her mother affection wise than I am. I went to many new schools during the high school phase and can related to being the odd woman out.

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Chapter 1 Questions:

1.) What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? I think everyone was really interested in Bella because she was new, but it went even further than that, because she was the daughter of Police Chief Swan. I think in a small town he was probably a prominent figure, someone everyone knew. Eric seemed to be a bit geeky, but was really trying to be helpful. Jessica gave her a lot of information about the vampire group and I agree with Moe, Mike might be trouble later on.

2.) What did you think of Edward's odd behavior? There was something about Bella that doesn't sit well with him. For some reason he seems intimidated by her. I noticed that when Jessica was talking to Bella about Edward, he looked toward them as if he heard his name. So I'm wondering if perhaps he can read minds? And if he can, there must have been something in Bella's mind that disturbed him.

3.) Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what all the fuss is about? Well, I haven't seen the movie and I'm glad because I always enjoy reading the book first and then seeing the film, so I wonder if the hype doesn't surround the actors themselves instead of the story?

4.) What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? I see Renee as a very needy person. Bella seems to have been the one who was taking care of her instead of the other way around. Charlie seems to be a quiet sort of guy, who has never had to take care of a child, let alone a teenager. It should be interesting to see how their relationship grows.

5.) I know most of us are older than the characters of this book, but did you relate to Bella right away? If so what part of her did you identify with? I identified with Bella right away. I wouldn't say I was considered a freak or anyting in high school, lol.. but I was a bit different, eccentric if you will and I see Bella as being a bit different than what Forks, is probably used to as well.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jeanette - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.