Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Tallons Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I've heard of Prayers for Bobby, I wish I could say I've read it but I've never been too much of a reader.

But I did some digging and found out that Lifetime made a movie out of it that is going to premiere this weekend.

The trailer literally brought me to tears: Prayers for Bobby Trailer

Last edited by Tallons; 01/23/09 04:21 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
I wish more parents were as loving as you all. It's so hard for people to come out - losing their parents only makes things worse. I do sometimes remind newly-out people that they've had time to get adjusted to the idea of themselves as gay - it might help to give their parents the same courtesy. Sometimes it does help.

Barbara Sharpe

What a powerful movie. I really had trouble not crying. Hope i wasn't the only one on here who got to see it...

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
I saw the movie. It was sad. Maybe it will help other parents to accept their gay children before too late...

Although I don't agree with them, I understand why these religious parents react the way they do. It isn't any moral high horse or self-righteousness that makes them go toe-to-toe with their children. It really is love...and fear.

They honestly believe that homosexuality will lead to their children's eternal damnation. You know, fire and brimstone, torment and suffering. Rejection by God.

Every parent wants to keep her child safe from harm. From all sources. In fact, knowing there is danger ahead will make you do just about anything to prevent it from harming your child. A parent will nag, scream, threaten, manipulate, cry, shout...anything to send her child in a safer direction. It comes from panic, fear and desperation. You know the ultimatums, "Go this way OR ELSE!"

Parents really believe that the real danger is homosexuality and the "devil" who has planted this seed in their child's heart. They believe the Bible completely. They fear for their beloved child! I can't fault them for that.

But I'm telling these parents that I have taken this to the Lord. There is good news.

The good news is that everything has a higher purpose. He makes good things out of bad. He is all-loving, all-merciful and all-compassionate. I don't think you have to fear for your child. Just place his salvation in the Lord's loving hands.

Here is an opportunity for your faith and love to be tried, tested and strengthened. What will you do? Judge and condemn when it is not your place to judge or condemn? Withold love when your God has never withheld love from you?

There is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. Which will you follow? There are two highest laws. Remember them? Being heterosexual is not one of them.

My spirituality is non-denominational, but this is the Christian forum so I apply Christian beliefs. And I do love Christ!

Parents with gay children have a supreme calling. To love their children when the rest of the world rejects them. But to love your own child...could there be anything easier, more joyful or more natural?

Our job is easy: We love. Let God judge. When the day of judgment comes, God will be merciful especially when you, his loving mother or father, pleads for him at the mercy seat! But you may not need to. God knows your child's innermost heart. He knows why your child has same-sex attraction. He knows it was not a choice made by your child's free will.

And above all, if you love your child, can you imagine how much more God, His creator, loves him?

To gay children: Be patient with your parents. And just because you are gay doesn't mean you can't turn to the Christ who loves you. Pray. Pour out the contents of your heart. Reconcile with God directly through prayer. Remember that the Bible can be interpreted many ways. It is meant to guide us in life, not condemn us. I'm not saying to pray to become straight. Just pray and feel His love, comfort and relief.

To all of us: Have faith in our God and be at peace.

Last edited by Lori-Marriage; 01/28/09 03:22 PM.
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
I haven't seen this movie you are talking about, but it sounds truly inspiring for all to learn from.

As to your question for this Forum "Would you love your gay child?" Absolutely, I would love them, as God loves me, completely.

Blessings to all of you!

Sandy

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I cannot understand not loving my children.
But I buried my first two and perhaps I worked to hard to get the two earth angels i have now...NOTHING could cause me to stop loving them.

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Erika, I am so sad to hear about your having to bury two children. I know the pain because my little boy died at the age of 12.

He was developmentally handicapped. Once upon a time, it was believed that these types of children were evil. I'm thankful that line of thinking is gone.

Amoeba
Amoeba
[quote=Lori-Marriage]I have thought of this, too. Yes. Of course. I will love my child always, no matter what. That doesn't mean I have to love his choice, his behavior or his biological predisposition--whatever the reason for his sexual orientation. I don't have to understand it to love him. I don't believe it is possible for me to "change" him and I think it may even be detrimental to his psyche and our relationship for me to try to change him. Change only comes from within. As a Christian woman, you can turn to the Lord. Know that your son has his own work to do and can work it out with the Lord directly. You can trust in the Lord's love and mercy and compassion and patience and all-knowing goodness. Those who believe in a God who would punish and outcast a child who "knows not what he does" must not understand the true Father. The whole homosexuality thing is beyond my understanding. Even IF, homosexuality is a sin, why would I add more sin onto the situation by withholding my love for my child? Gosh, aren't we supposed to love our enemies even? And our prodigal children? We all are sinners. Besides, who knows where a mother's love can lead a child? It may be the only thing in his life that reflects God's love. In this often cold and cruel world, a person should be able to count on one thing if nothing else: his mother's love. Don't you think? I don't think that the Lord would be angry at me for loving the child He blessed me with...no matter what the child may have done in his life. What a relief![/quote] Lori, I couldn't have said it any better myself. This is exactly how I feel. I would never shun my child. I also may not be able to understand it or like it, but to turn away from my child? That just ain't gonna happen!

Amoeba
Amoeba
EXCELLENT TOPIC!!!

I would always love and accept my children. They are not mine to reject. God always loves and accepts me.

You know as believers in Christ we are called to be His representatives. He tells us to love each other as He loves the church. I believe this means that we love with everything in us without turning back from that love.

I think one of the biggest challenges in believers is that we sometimes forget that God reached us exactly where we were at and that the transformative work that He's doing in our lives is an ongoing process. He doesn't want anything to keep us from Him, but for all of us to settle into His purpose for our lives.

We have to remember our limitations. These are matters of the heart and only God can truly speak to and reach a heart. We're called to love one another and to pray for one another.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lynne - ChristianLiving 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.