Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
One of the fun ways to make candles is to use a decorative two part candle mold. These plastic candle molds come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, from cartoon characters to animals, plants, shapes and more.

Here is a fish mold, with two finished fish candles. This is showing the INSIDE of each mold. The mold is made from sturdy plastic that you can use and reuse as much as you wish.

What you do is lay a wick down the center of one side, and tape it at the top and bottom. Then you tape both of these halves together so that the two inside halves (the sides facing up) face each other. This leaves a cavity in the inside of the mold where the wax will go. There is an opening from the "stomach" of the fish to the edge of the mold, where you pour the wax in.

You want to tape these STURDILY together with masking tape or duct tape. You want to tape along the bottom, left and right side very tightly so that wax does not leak out. Pretty much every person I know who has made candles with these types of molds has had a situation where they taped the halves together loosely and wax came pouring out through a crack smile Not fun! Make sure you tape it securely.

Here is a Buddha mold. I have several friends who seek peace and serenity, and this candle is perfect for them.

In this case you are seeing the two OUTSIDE halves of the mold. This is how the front and the back look on the outside. The insides of the molds are against the carpet. Again, you would tape these two halves together inside-to-inside and seal around three edges. A wick would run from the top to the bottom of the mold. Then you pour the wax in at the hole at the feet. You fill it up then wait for the wax to try.

The wax naturally makes a "divot" at the top end (i.e. at the feet) and you then add in more wax to fill in that divot. Once it is dry again you open up the mold, pop out the candle and trim off that bottom area.

Here's an owl mold, where one half is up and one half is down. You can see how there is the dots to help you line up the two halves so you make a solid finished candle.

I have never needed "mold release" with these types of molds. The halves just pop off quite easily.

I definitely recommend getting some two part molds and playing with them! They are great for reusing wax from other dead candles you have around the house, and the finished shaped candles make great presents.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Wow, I used to make plaster decorations in candy molds. They sort of looked like that. Pretty cool.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yup exactly! So you know the technique! You'd be a natural at making candles with this. It's very easy, tons of fun and you can be very creative.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Very nice. Two piece candle molds are fun to use and were one of my first candle making projects.

B
B

They�re so simple, yet so effective. Aromatherapy candles do more than fragrance the rooms in your home. They emit scents that have the power to enhance your mood, lift your spirits and heal your tensions. Whereas aromatherapy bath salts have to be utilized in the tub, and essential oils require burners or diffusers, aromatherapy candles are their own neat little package. All you need is a match or a lighter and other than that, they�re totally self-contained.

Last edited by Shanda - Candlemaking; 01/24/11 04:36 AM.
C
C
Very fascinating!Molded candles are usually the easiest for novice candle makers to create. Be sure to have these ready to fill if your first project is to be this type.

Wow! It's awesome, I will try that one soon because for now I am trying Grubby molds, this is very unique for me. This type of candle making mold appears as if the wax has dripped down the sides leaving a very uneven finish to the candle. Beeswax molds are similar to grubby molds as the texture in rough and appears to be a bee honeycomb. Angela

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
OMG Angela! I was just doing some research, googling and looking regarding grubby candles. I came across one picture that seriously disturbed me. They had done the candle in brown, and with their style of grubby, mmm, yeah, let's just say it ranks right up there with a baby ruth in the pool!

Shanda Lynn Markham
CANDLEMAKING

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.