logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
I have an ex whose wife has been the victim of his abuse. They have been married for two years and have a 6 month old baby girl. They get into fights over the littlest things in which the husband pushes her against the wall, drags her by her hair, throws things at her, takes all of her money, and keeps her from work. They both fight in front of the baby. His wife has been calling me for advice. She is totally dependent on him for money and taking care of the baby. She has no friends and her family refuse to help her. She has no money to get away and her husband keeps her from going to work. Her husband has also been cheating on her. Recently, she says he has gotten worse to the point where she's scared. She wants to leave but doesn't know how. She doesn't want to go to a shelter because she had a friend who went to the local one and said it was really strict about her spending, her whereabouts, and everything else. She doesn't want to call the cops because he is illegal and if he gets arrested, he may be deported and not see his baby for five years. Its an everyday thing, the abuse and fighting, and it just gets worse everytime it happens. He won't let her work because he doesn't want her to have money to leave. She can't stay with me as I am the only allowed tenant in the place. Anyway, I am emailing to ask what can she do? She's afraid to call the police, has no family or friends to support her, and is afraid to go to a shelter. So what else is left? Her and I have become very close since she revealed to me about the abuse and I want to help her I just don't know how. My mother was in a similar situation for 11yrs and it took her that long to finally leave. Please if you have any advice or need any more information on the situation, reply back. Thank you.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
R
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
R
This is a very sad situation. You are doing the best thing you can by being there and listening; and being a point of contact. I know that she is scared; but she must take that first step and contact someone. If she doesn't know who or is afraid of the authorities; go to the hospital and ask for a social worker. Inform the medical staff of her situation, and they will help her get in contact with the right people. If she's afraid to do this; she can use the excuse that the baby needs to see the doctor. After all, she is only six-months. She must be more determined to save her and her childs life, than whether or not his parental rights are going to be terminated for five years. If she stays, SHE may not have five years.
Do some research for her on safe houses in your area or better yet, in the next town over. Also, if at any point you see that the child is grave danger, then I hope that you would step up to the plate, and contact the authorities. But first, stress to this young woman that not only is she in danger, but her daughter as well. If she can't do it for herself; then at least do it for her baby.

Afterthought:

From the post, you said that he was your ex. If you don't mind me asking, did he abuse you, as well? And why would she come to you for advice and help?

N
OP Offline
N
No he did not abuse me. He slapped me once and I made it perfectly clear that if he did it again, that I WOULD call the cops. We still fought alot but he never struck me again.

She has been contacting me for the same reason. To see if he was that way when he was with me. At first, it was just to ask me about our past relationship but now we have become friends and actually pretty close. Her husband gets really mad when he sees her talking on the phone with me so she tries to contact me when he's gone. He doesn't want us to talk at all.

As for what happens in her home, she calls me everytime something happens and if I had the money I would give her some. I told her that if she calls and it escalates to something else or I feel she or the baby is in grave danger, that I would for certain call the police whether she did or not.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
You can give her the number to the National Domestic Violence Hotline. It would be an anonymous call and she talk about other options she may have.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
J
J
Boy-this topic sure hit home with me-I have cigarette burn marks all over my body from a husband that abused me-I had 3 children and was in the same situation, but finally got out of it.I will never let a man CONTROL my every move again.I,too, never told anyone,for fear he would hurt me more.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Needadvice2005
No he did not abuse me. He slapped me once and I made it perfectly clear that if he did it again, that I WOULD call the cops. We still fought alot but he never struck me again.

She has been contacting me for the same reason. To see if he was that way when he was with me. At first, it was just to ask me about our past relationship but now we have become friends and actually pretty close. Her husband gets really mad when he sees her talking on the phone with me so she tries to contact me when he's gone. He doesn't want us to talk at all.

As for what happens in her home, she calls me everytime something happens and if I had the money I would give her some. I told her that if she calls and it escalates to something else or I feel she or the baby is in grave danger, that I would for certain call the police whether she did or not.

What state is she in? I have resources listed on the website for each state. If worse come to worse she can call the National Domestic Violence Hotline and they will find shelter for her.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
R
R
If you really care and there is any chance that she or her child need protective help pls do what ever you can. It will never get better. Abusers only get worse. They look for the ones they can control and put down. They usually have had a pattern that goes way back. Like the one woman wrote he only hit her once. When I had mine arrested he Never hit me again. Tell her no matter what walls seem to come up all around her there is help and Don't give up. Her Child Needs her especially now. Good Luck

THE ROSE
R
R
And the sooner they know that you mean business things will start to change. I don't mean it will solve the real problem but it give you time to plan to live. Don't give up!!!Don't let the system think your only resource is Hubbard House. You Have to learn that the best Offense is a Defense. And Visa Verca. I realize thats its easier sometimes said than done but, Lifes Short don't waste one more day of it.

Last edited by Raven2727; 01/07/09 09:21 AM.

THE ROSE
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Excellent points Raven.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
C
C
Unfortunatley, the familys of victims of domestic violence often do turn their backs on their loved ones. There are several reasons for this, 1. they don't want to get involved. 2. if they ignore it it will go away. 3. Shame. 4. they have tried to help her escape before and she has returned to abuser. This puts the victim in a difficult position. I know she may be afraid to turn to the local shelter but they are her best advocate right now. She must call the police to make records of the abusive incidents! The local DV shelter can help her do all of that while in their protective care. Yes the shelters, hold your money in a safe...because theft is common! Not because they want to know what you are sending your money on. Yes they also hold your medications in lock up...so children dont get ahold of them and accidently ingest them. There are shelter rules, which is different from what one is used to in their own home but they are put in place for everyones safety!Not so they can be nosy!! They ask for you to sign in and out and express an expected time of return, but incase you dont return they know where to look for you and if you have been abducted off the street by your abuser they can call the police to get the help that is needed.The rules of shelters are put in place for the safety of the client. Not to further control you like your abuser. Perhaps if your friend understood why the rules were in place at the shelter she would not be afraid to go there, she would understand that indeed they are there to help her. The fact that he is an illegal...should not stop her from getting the help that she needs! Nobody deserves to be beaten! It's wonderful that she has you to help her through this very difficult and painful process. Please encourage her to get the help she needs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.