logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I happened to catch "The Dr.s" this morning, and was stunned by the advice they gave to a woman who had her gallbladder removed after she had her baby, and had been troubled by chronic diarrhea with intermittent constipation.

Not only did a gastroneurologist 1)diagnose her with IBS, he 2)never even mentioned gastric dumping syndrome, but 3)recommended that she take antibiotics for the IBS "just in case" there were flora disturbances. Antibiotics are the worst thing you can do to your colon and immune system, particularly if there is no sound evidence of an infection, and no starting up on probiotics were mentioned as a follow-up. At least he advised her on the emotional causes of IBS, which would have been steering her in the right direction if she actually had IBS...He also never asked her how much water she drank daily. Dehydration can cause constipation, even in those with gastric dumping syndrome.

This is the very reason why I have stopped taking my medical issues to conventional doctors, going instead to holistic practitioners. Even the GI "experts" have little or no training in actual GI tract health. crazy

If you have been diagnosed with IBS and your doctor's treatments are not helping or are making things worse, please share your stories here!

Shay

Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
P
I agree with you, many problems are solved only when going to alternative medicine. I found that Homeopathy and Shiatsu treatments help my digestion best.

Just curious, What do you define as holistic practitioners?

My favourite constipation cures

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
EGADS! This is so sad. I definitely believe the medical profession has it's place, and I'm very grateful for my own doctor, we really do have to do our own research too. I've been trying to get my doctor to give me a food allergy test. She told me if I had food allergies I'd have hives :P Mmmm...

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Peach3000

Just curious, What do you define as holistic practitioners?

Hi Peach,

I'm pleased to know that you are finding relief with holistic medicine. What types of treatments are you finding helpful with homeopathy? And can you share a little bit about Shiatsu? It sounds familiar, but I'm not sure what it is, exactly. I'd love to know more about it. smile

I consider "holistic" to be any type of medicine that involves mind, body, spirit; and uses herbs, emotional work and bodywork for treatment. Adversely, conventional medicine relies upon procedures and manufactured chemicals to mask the root problem.

I clicked on your link, and it is right in line with what I believe in. Most gut disturbances are emotional and/or diet related, yet are mostly untapped in conventional medicine. Dr. Oz once talked about the body utilizing food as medicine. I wish all conventional doctors would steer more in this direction!

Shay

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Inspiration Deanna
I've been trying to get my doctor to give me a food allergy test. She told me if I had food allergies I'd have hives :P Mmmm...

It's awesome that you have a good working relationship with your doctor, Deanna!

Food allergies are funny things. Some people test positive for allergies, yet have no symptoms when they eat the food. It's important to understand the distinction between food allergies and food sensitivities too, though.

When you hear the word "allergy" this indicates symptoms that you may associate with pollen, dust, and bee sting allergies. You get the cold like symptoms or hives.

Food sensitivities are a whole different ball of wax. They can cause any number of GI tract problems. Wheat is usually the most common culprit, but everyone is different. A naturopath can guide you through the process. Medical doctors, unfortunately don't have training in this area. frown

Here is a link to my article on the Elimination Diet. It has a very good link inside of it on food sensitivities, too.
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.