logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
aziza Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Can someone please help me? I am in the process of growing out my colored hair. I have been using Pantene Silver Expressions with good results. I just recently noticed that my white hair in my bangs is turning yellow. Everywhere else it was brilliant white. I called the beauty supply store and was told to use Malibu Wellness, Making Water Well. My community has hard water and this product is supposed to remove hard water minerals and Oxidizers and eliminate brassiness. I tried it today and it didn't help remove the yellow. Now in addition to yellow bangs, the areas that still have hair coloring have turned a light orange! I really don't want to cut my hair. It would be way too short. Any suggestions? I don't want to put a toner on it either. I like the white. It is mostly white on the top and sides mixed with black and mostly black in the back mixed with white. Forgot to mention, I used the weekly demineralizer included in the kit. I left it on for 1 hour under a plastic cap without heat. The directions were not to use heat on white non-pigmented hair.

Last edited by margo_m; 12/09/08 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
The treatments you are doing should take out mineral build-up and any other residue.

I think it is important to find out why your white hair has picked up the yellow. Since your town has hard water, do you have a water softener? Since it is in your bangs, do you smoke?

The previously tinted hair is most likely turning orange because the treatments are fading the hair color. There isn't much you can do about that except put a toner on just the preciously tinted hair.

A
aziza Offline OP
OP Offline
A
NO, I don't have a water softener. And no, I don't smoke either. Never have and I'm not around people who do.
I have been using Matrix Sleek Look iron smoother on just my bangs. I wondered if that could be doing it so I have quit using it. I have enough outgrowth that there souldn't be any tinted hair left in the bangs. BTW my tinted hair was a mixture of highlights(blonde) and lowlights (maybe dark caramels) to help "blend" in the white and black (or very dark brown). Now it is all different shades of orange. What would you recommend for a toner? What shampooo and conditioner do you think I should use? Continue with the Malibu line or go with the Pantene Silver Expressions? If I were to do another demineralization treatment, would it help or just make it more orange? This is probably the worst time of the year to have this happen. I'm really at a loss as to what to do.........

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
The iron smoother may be causing your bangs to be more porous and pick up more minerals from the water. The ends of your hair - the tinted area may also pick up minerals.

I would consult a hairdresser in your area who can look at a touch your hair. She (or he) will be better able to help you and to suggest a toner for the ends.

A
aziza Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for your advice. I also called the Malibu company. She asked where I live and said we have a lot of iron in our water in this area. She suggested that when I had my hair tinted it was over the mineral buildup and didn't attach to the protein in my hair. She said the demineralizing treatment took off the color during the demineralizing process.

Amoeba
Amoeba
Seek a hair sylist. Or, try "violet shampoo and conditioner" by Joico. (be careful, though. Don't leave it on too long or it will turn your hair purple.)Try bleaching it again and risk frying your hair OR hair folicals. You can also try using an Ash base hair color.

If you try bleaching it again, be super careful not to leave it on too long. Maybe try a processing cap or using heat to speed up the process.

It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well - Rene Descartes
Elephant
Elephant
when bleaching or lifting hair, using heat blows open the cuticle of the hair. This is like using a sledge hammer to nail in a nail. I wouldn't rebleach without repairing first!
And yes, any silvering shampoos and conditioners should help. And definately do not leave the in for too long as thy WILL turn your hair purple

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
B
B
edited for violation of forum rules

Last edited by Lynne Chapman; 12/27/08 03:52 PM.
[quote=Jase - GLBT Relationships] And yes, any silvering shampoos and conditioners should help. And definately do not leave the in for too long as thy WILL turn your hair purple[/quote] yes, it's happened to me. I abused the silver shampoo. :)

A
aziza Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I did the same thing. frown Mine actually turned more grayish as opposed to purple. I used a clarifying shampoo to help take the color out. I applied the shampoo, wrapped my hair in a plastic bag, left on 15 minutes and then rinsed out. Had to do it 2 times and them followed up with a deep moisturizing teatment. It looks so much better.

Last edited by aziza; 02/09/09 02:55 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.