Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
How do you release the stress during the holiday season?

I completely avoid ALL malls smile I know I would go insane if I went into a busy mall. I stay home and do shopping online. But to be honest, I really don't buy presents any more! My boyfriend and I buy small things for each other all year long and aren't into "trinkets" so they're all things we need (but love) like a GPS. For family members, I take them out to dinner as a present. I have become very against clutter smile

So that works for me at least!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
I try to shop early and shop online. That way it's all taken care of and I don't have to go to the Post office. That's always stessful for me.

S
Gecko
Gecko
S
Malls - NO
Any Major Department Store - NO
Shopping after Halloween - NO
Getting Groceries at Superstores on Weekends - NO (that's when people Christmas shop)

My husband and I don't buy gifts for each other because our birthday's are both so close to Christmas. We just buy under an agreed amount for our one son. That keeps the spending down. I ran in and ran out to get my son's gifts back in October before the crowds started thinking about Christmas.

This year relatives decided not to buy gifts, which was a relief for us because we were the big spenders for nieces and nephews. But I felt sorry for my sister's children because they have nothing so I still sent them gift certificates. And we're all getting together before X-Mass for a giftless bring-a-dish-to-pass gathering.

As for stress-We didn't put up outside lights to keep the electric bill down. Just put up the inside Christmas Tree. And the other thing for stress I suggest is stick to Tradition - do what you normally do every year so you aren't getting all worked up about something not working out. Every year just the 3 of us have all you can eat King Crab Legs at home on Christmas Eve. Christmas Morn. we have Cinnamon rolls, coffee and milk and exchange gifts, later that day we have a special dinner. This year it will be Chicken Cordon Bleu

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 12/16/08 12:23 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Joan - I am completely with you on the post office!! I make origami and I am having my boyfriend bring the boxes into the post office for me right now. The one time I went in the line was outrageous!

My son is 19 and really I'm not sure what to get him - since we review video games he gets a steady stream of games all year long. He really doesn't want anything. We were even on Amazon last night just looking at books and he's all set with the ones he wants. So it may be a quiet Christmas even for him.

I sent homemade cards with origami out to all my relatives but that's about it. I almost feel like I should feel "guilty" for not getting people gifts, but I don't expect gifts either and really I don't get any smile So I am happy without the clutter, and am happy sending origami, and am happy having dinner with people. I need to find a way to release this lingering guilt that I "should" be buying things.

We don't have our tree yet - and Bob even had us buy a fake tree last year because he was tired of pine needles getting everywhere! So we have this tree in the attic. Maybe I'll ask him to get it down today.

Low Carb Forum
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
I LOVE origami. I'd love to get a homemade card with origami. First of all, I know how much time, talent and effort goes into crafting homemade items. A person puts so much of her energy into that kind of gift.

So much better than a storebought box of candy or even a gift card (no matter how much money is on it!)

As for bought gifts, I try to buy online. I wish I were forward thinking like Deb to shop in October. Maybe I'll do that next year...

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Origami is a lot of fun to make, and there is always paper around to make it with. So it's the perfect frugal gift smile

Low Carb Forum
B
B
Origami sounds like a fun thing to do with the entire family.
I did most of my shopping early. I spent the past weekend celebrating with my family, next weekend we will celebrate with my in-laws.This will make the holiday a little less stressful & we can relax & not have to rush around & get stressed out by everyone or any little thing that goes wrong.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That is so great that you got your shopping done early! I had to go into a Target today to get some storage boxes and it was just a madhouse. Shopping early seems SO key to relaxation smile

Low Carb Forum
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Yoga and meditation is a better to avoid stress

B
B
online shopping but only on days the site is offering a higher % off or free shipping

Moderated by  DebbieMandel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.