logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A London Christmas in Trafalgar Square with the loghting up of the tree and the switching on of the lights for Christmas Shopping! Switch on on Thursday!

For anyone who's interested in the area, we kept a travelog about our fun week in Trafalgar Square:

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
London Christmas Lights Switch On is on December 4th this year by the way. It takes place every year in Trafalgar Square - centre piece is a 50ft Christmas Tree from Norway (they have given one every year since 1947 to thank Brits for helping them during the war!)

The Christmas Tree is covered in a myriad of little white lights, there must be hundreds of them but I think they are the most environmentally-friendly ones.

More on my London website below - oh and i just added discount family tickets for Wicked (the show at the Apollo!)

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Woolworths Pick n Mix - except now theyre going bust!
So sad - rumour has it that it will be taken over by Food Supermarkets!

London High Streets will never look the same again!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I love the orgainised public events such as the New Year's Eve fireworks - always fun in London - everyone goes off to do their own thing afterwards whether that's a movie with the kids in Leicester Square or just partying!

Since 2003, London has celebrated like this, entertaining crowds on the Thames. After Big Ben chimes at midnight, a fantastic fireworks display is launched from the London Eye, courtesy Mayor of London and Berthonneau pyrotechnics.

It's great - but because of that there are large crowds, so you need to plan (New years Eve venues are often ticket only.)

The fireworks viewing places have a limit of 180,000 people.

More details and tips on Central London on my London lens:

www.squidoo.com/londonfun4less

Happy New Year London Traveller Fans!

Last edited by BellaShorts; 12/28/08 08:07 AM.

Gecko
Gecko
We have fireworks every year here too in my town for New Years. I like to watch from my balcony. smile A great way to start off the New year. Bang!!!! laugh

What I really enjoy the most is watching the ball drop in Times Square at midnight.

Last edited by rdywenur; 12/28/08 09:20 AM.
Amoeba
Amoeba
Camden Market - great clothes, sixties nick-nacks, and twenty thousand colourful outfits on parade. Big shame about the fire there - does anyone know how much of it is still trading?

Marianne Gibson
Russian Culture
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
The one I heard about was only a small one, but it Was in a favorite little Camden London clothes shop! Shame!

We wrote about the fun time we had in Camden Market- and the rest of London in our London Diary

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Great fun activities at London Museum for kids this holiday.

History workshops - the Tudor kitchen, early medicine, costume etc - looks fun.

More ideas on my London site:

Parakeet
Parakeet
I enjoyed the British Museum.

I get a warm glow reading what you like about my town. Sadly, living here I have a jaundiced view. The congestion charge means that it costs 8 pounds to drive in and parking is over 4 pounds per hour. Traffic wardens will give you a parking ticket at the drop of a hat. CCTV watch your every move, they even use them to give you a parking ticket and they have cars driving about with cameras on the roof that give out tickets too. If you have rented a car, expect it to be charged to your credit card. Then there are the speed cameras, and now they have average speed cameras. Being in the American continent you may just get away with it, but don't bank on it. I am sure that you are model citizens but just in case you lapse, we have people who will issue on the spot fines for littering. If you are thinking of taking pictures, make sure you are in a group of tourists as individuals are often stopped from taking pictures under the prevention of terrorism act. Personally I cannot wait to get out of here.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.