Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
G
Tim Hortons and Caribou say traffic is down, but sales of beans and ground coffee are up. They suggest people are making their own coffee more and buying less due to the economy.

I have always preferred my own coffee so, on a daily basis I drink at home and carry my thermos to work. I generally buy coffee as an occasional treat, like a Starbucks Caramel Macchiato or a Panera Bread Caramel Latte.

I know that if I were buying a $3 or $4 cup every morning, I would be rethinking my strategy right now.

Has the economy changed your coffee habits?

Gayle Santana
Coffee Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Yesterday the manager of our local Starbucks was telling me that their sales are way off from last year this time.

An interesting thing - she said that sales by youngsters (hot chocolate) and teens getting their coffee on the way to school are up.

Sharon Michaels
Empowering and mentoring women to greater personal and professional success.
G
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
G
Must be that youthful optimism!

Gayle Santana
Coffee Editor
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
I never bought expensive coffees except once in a while when I travel. It's hard to find a good cup of coffee when you're traveling.

I did notice tho that the starbucks coffee beans at Costco doubled in price almost overnight last spring. I used to buy it and grind it at home but switched to a less expensive brand.

Well I work at Dunkin Donuts and we still get hammered with teh coffee customers. I have customers that come in 3 or 4 times a day every day during my shift to get a $2.60 cup of coffee. I swear no one makes coffee at home anymore in my area. LOL

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I think the reason for the youthful coffee cup fills is because it isn't their money. They are most likely telling parents they need X amount of money for whatever.

Most people I know have cut that out of their expenses by about 1/2. A trick I've heard is to save the commercial cups and fill up at home. It gives you the sense you are treating yourself which really isn't that hard if you purchase the beans and grind them yourself. There are a lot of comparable brands these days out there competing for the take home slot.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
J
Koala
Koala
J
I think many young people who have jobs also see coffee like Starbucks as a necessity. I've noticed my step daughters and their friends think things like manicures and pedicures are necessities too. People in their 20's and 30's haven't really seen real economic bad times in their lifetime.

There are also lots of mocha mix type products you can get at the grocery store and mix them with your own coffee. I have a cappuccino french vanilla one by Hills Bros that's really good added to my own coffee.

Sometimes I take the coffee left in the pot, add ice and flavored coffee creamer and put it in blender. It's delicious. Add a little Kalua and it's REALLY good.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Sometimes when DH isn't looking I substitute store brand coffee for the stuff in the red plastic canister. I buy it in the brick and pour it into the plastic canister. If he doesn't see it he doesn't know the difference.

Yesterday the red plastic canister was $10. in a grocery store near us! Even the fair trade coffee was cheaper than that. I can't afford to buy the big brand very often.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.