Print Thread
#466722 11/08/08 03:42 PM
L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
This is the place for our November Virtual Guild discussions.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
N
Hi Llyn,

I meant to ask my question in the November forum, but you must have been making the November forum as I was writing in the October. ANYHOOO....

I really haven't figured out how to weigh or measure the yardage in the samples I make.

Nikki

L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Hi Nikki,

There was a slight delay in opening the November discussion - we had a brief power outage here.

To answer your question about figuring out the yardage in your sample, yes - you can rip it out and measure the yarn, but then you don't have a sample swatch and you have kinky yarn to measure.

So, make the swatch in the same pattern as the the pattern calls for. A larger swatch is best for accurate measurements.

Finish the swatch before measuring it. You need measurements for the length and the width.
Let's say the finished swatch measures 12 x 12 inches.
Length x width = the area of the swatch which, in this case is 144 inches.

Now, to find the length of the yarn in the swatch, weigh the swatch and multiply the weight times the number of yards in an ounce of the yarn. The results is the yardage of the yarn in the swatch.

Say the swatch weighs 3 ounces and the yarn has 60 yards per ounce. 3 x 60 = 180 yards of yarn.

Then figure how many 12 x 12 squares you would have to knit to equal the area of the item you're making. Say you need 10 12" squares to cover the area. Each square takes 180 yards so then 180 (the yardage for each square) X 10 (the total number of squares needed to cover the area) = 1,800 yards of yarn needed for the entire project.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
A
A
Hello Lyn,

I have just tried spinning Himalayan Cat hair for the first time and it wasn't really too bad. It feels like Alpaca. If I could spin better I'm sure it would be more consistent. I'm also going to try to blend it with Romney white wool to give it a heather look or tweed or variegated etc. I didn't wash it, because I thought it would turn into hair balls like a couple were on the cat. It's surprisingly clean conpared to unwashed wool. What do ya think! A beginner spinner with access to a beautiful Himalayan. a birder Helen Goforth

L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
I think it would be best to give it a good washing after it's spun into yarn. While I have little experience with cat hair, I think washing may cause it to mat. When blending it with wool, check to see that staple length of the wool and the staple length of the cat hair is a fairly close match. It's hard to blend shorter fibers with longer ones though it can be done if necessary. If the fiber lengths vary greatly, blend by carding (it will take several passes). Combing will just separate the shorter fibers from the longer ones.

Llyn - Spinning Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.