logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Now that makes sense, Bylen - Thanks! I get so frustrated when I hear their personal opinions and the fact that each network seems to have their favorite candidates that they promote and degrade the ones they do not like.

Listening to radio news is a better way to go.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
W
W
Hello,
I am in search of the words of a poem called "A Letter to Daddy" from I Never Saw Another Butterfly, the collection of holocaust children's art and poetry. I need those words today if possible for a project. Thank you so much. Wanda

Parakeet
Parakeet
Cindy, What is your favorite period or periods of history that you most enjoy studying or reading about?

Parakeet
Parakeet
My favorite periods to study are
1. World War II - 1931 to 1945
2. The development of the U.S. Constitution, 1787
3. Colonial America
4. Late 19th and 20th century America
5. Origins of Man (but that's more Anthropology)

N
Parakeet
Parakeet
N
I don't have any questions, Cindy, but I'm impressed with your answers. smile I'll be sure to return to this thread if I come up with something to ask...

Baby Name Blogger & Editor
H
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
H
Oh my goodness!! I get busy and forget to check for a week or two, and, of course, it's the one when you guys have all the questions!!

Ok, so, let me take a crack at this...

On the Media: I think the switch to 24/7 news was definately a contributing factor. I also think that it has a lot to do with the way our society deals with television in general -- we tend to look for the sensational. Advertisers tend to place ads where people will look (ie, the most sensational channels/programming.) So, if you're not making enough to meet your fiscal goals, one sure way to up the ante is to increase your visibility. And, I also think people "feel better" about what they're hearing if it matches their own view of the world. You feel better hearing that Obama is connected to a terrorist if you don't want him to win. You feel better hearing that Palin is a huge idiot if you don't want her to win. And, I agree -- radio news (and public broadcasting for that matter) rock!

Letter From Daddy: What a great poem. I'm sorry that I didn't check this in time to get the quote to you... But, for future reference, I think most libraries have a copy.

My favorite periods of history: WOW! That could spawn the longest answer EVER! But, here's the short version: it depends more on the subject than on the period. I love all things medieval, renaissance, regency, Federalist, victorian, American Revolution, Civil war, WW I and II. Actually, I'm spending a good bit of time on the history of Turkey/Byzantium right at the momement. But, I think I have to say that what I like studying the MOST are the cultural and human aspects of history. Learning the facts and figures are great, but if you've got a great story about a person -- even better if there's a personal connection, or an artifact that can be marvelled at -- I can't help my facination. (And, I consider Anthro and History as being two different words for and ways of studying the same topic, just in case you were wondering!!)

Yea!! Keep the questions coming!! I love 'em!

Cindy Kessler
History Website
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I think there is a difference between reporting the news and shows featuring opinion. Unfortunately, there are few shows reporting unbiased news and way too many celebrity columnists presenting their opinions. Twenty-four hours of talk shows creates a lot of blab.

Parakeet
Parakeet
So true Angie So true. The 24-hour news cycle, talk radio and cable news create a lot more opinions from, so-called, experts than factual information. More than 90% of my news I get from NPR. I don't trust much of anyone else. They are the least biased news source I know of. All the tv and radio news is usually biased to the left or to the right. Maybe the majority of Americans near to read more. I dont mean just read the daily newspaper, but history, world culture and much more.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Not only that, even when they have a so-called conversation with a guest, the guest is only permitted to say what the host wants people to hear. If the guest begins to veer off the host's line, he's cut off.

Parakeet
Parakeet
The same is true when a non-conservative is on conservative cable news programs or talk-radio. Just try and get a non-conservative or non-republican idea on Cincinnati's WLW 700am radio. It won't happen. To the talk radio hosts on WLW Reagan, Bush Sr. and George W. Bush could do nothing wrong. Carter, Clinton or any Democrat could never do anything right. The right-wing conservative bias on WLW is very obvious if not outright blatant. It is so blatant I sometimes think they are really just a branch office of the GOP.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.