Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#464086 10/29/08 03:32 AM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Smackdown! You may pick just one. Are you a FaceBook user or do you prefer MySpace?

Facebook vs MySpace
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 10/29/08 03:31 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I have profiles on both and don't really like either lol

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
N
Parakeet
Parakeet
N
I had a MySpace profile, then I signed up for Facebook...and that made me realize just how silly MySpace is (in comparison). So I got rid of my MySpace account and have onlt Facebook now.

I do go back to MySpace sometimes, but only once in a while. For instance, sometimes I'll hear a song I like and I want to check out what else that band has to offer. Or sometimes MySpace will feature interesting video content, like new stuff from particular comedians.

Baby Name Blogger & Editor
S
Shark
Shark
S
Most of my friends on Myspace are musicians, so when they have a new cd or are on tour I can listen or plan on going to a show.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I really enjoy Facebook, myself. I've been in touch with so many people from different eras of my life, and the best part is that I don't have to really go out of my way to keep in touch with them! How perfect is THAT for hermit-like me?

I can just update my life, look at others' updates and photos, make little comments here and there. So nice. Between that and twitter, I can actually keep people in my life, for once.

MySpace seems a bit more youthful and personality driven? I don't have an outpost there but will at some point, so that I can at least be able to write about it. lol

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jeanette, what did you not like about them? Just curious. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 11/01/08 12:00 AM.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
So far, Facebook is in the lead!

C
Zebra
Zebra
C
I have yet to sign on to either one. From the posts, I get the impression that MySpace is for a much younger group and Facebook is for a more mature group. What are the pros and cons of both?

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chloe I'd say to some extent that is true. MySpace also lends itself to people with bands and are involved in the music scene. It's good for celebrity stuff.

Myspace is more customizable as far as page layouts, and some people find that really fun. You can make it more bloggy than Facebook.

I don't really like MySpace for me; I'm a Facebook fan. I am not big on the silly stuff Facebook offers, like sending plants and joining groups, but i do use it to keep in touch with family, see pictures people have uploaded and stay in the loop on what friends are doing.

Does anyone else have any experiences with either Myspace or Facebook that they wish to share? What do you use it for?

Last edited by Jilly; 11/19/08 04:34 PM.
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
I use both MySpace and Facebook but I tend to prefer MySpace. I like the blogs, for one thing. I like the music, too. Facebook is always sending me stupid things like tha blasted lil green patch and I get annoyed with having to ignore them. On the other hand, I have gotten back in touch with some high school and college friends thanks to Facebook. I think MySpace encourages conversation more, though.

Barbara Sharpe

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am so with you on the green patches. I have learned to stop feeling guilty about not sending these things back. I htink I have literally hundreds of them piled up.

That said, i have been told some people really enjoy that element of Facebook, that they find it good unwinding time.

B
Gecko
Gecko
B
Oh, I know. There are people who absolutely adore Facebook. smile I like it well enough, I just find MySpace more fun, for me. Probably because more of my friends are MySpacers. wink

Barbara Sharpe

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
true, enough that people go where their peeps are. I would have been on Myspace if my friends were early adopters...but most of my regular family and friends have come into the social revolution a bit later. Thus, we ended up on the more 'mature' facebook.

My guess is early adopters were on MySpace, and pretty early on?

Last edited by Jilly; 12/01/08 08:29 PM.
Amoeba
Amoeba
I have both but I like Myspace better. Even though theres lot's of weirdos and people friend requesting you that you dont even know - its easier and more fun than Facebook IMO

T
T
I'm enjoying my exploration of Myspace (it took me years to figure the blasted thing out). I get a kick out of looking at all the colorful profiles.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I had a MySpace profile for a long time, but never found myself using it. Most of any friends there are musicians, as others have mentioned. I prefer Facebook as it allows me to keep in touch with more friends. I, too, have hundreds of those silly requests piled up. I just ignore them now. I do play a couple games, but that's just some down time and usually with relatives or friends that live far away.

Kevin Thorburn
Ice Hockey
H
H
I have a profile on both but prefer Facebook. The way that Facebook is set up you really get the chance to meet up with so many old friends and new one as well. Also, it is really useful for promoting your blog moreso than myspace (in my opinion).

Heather Davis
Reality TV Editor

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I'm very new to Facebook but don't have all its features down pat yet. I'm not sure I like it that much.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Well, one nice thing about it is my kids posted some photos and comments about their trip to the groundhog festival. I haven't had a chance to chat with them about the trip but they did share pictures.

I think my problem with this is that over the years I have been involved with myfamily.com and I couldn't get anyone to use it or it was used sparingly. Facebook is more open and you can find people, but, it is so busy.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Hildy Gottlieb wrote a good article each on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook. She compared them and this is how she described them:

LinkedIn - the perpetual Chamber of Commerce mixer
Twitter - the perpetual party at the end of the universe
Facebook - the perpetual neighborhood block party
[url= http://hildygottlieb.com/2009/01/29/facebook-and-twitter-and-linkedin-what%E2%80%99s-the-dif/]Hildy Gottlieb[/url]

B
Gecko
Gecko
B
After having said I prefer Myspace - I'm starting to prefer Facebook! I've reconnected with old friends and learned a lot about people I know but don't "know." It's turned out to be fun. I still blog some on MySpace but do more on Facebook. Who'd a thunk? I've just started Twitter too. Any of you on Twitter?

Barbara Sharpe

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OK - I put MySpace because it is much easier to use (at least for me).

But I am doing way more on Facebook. That is mainly because we are getting ready for our 20 yr HS reunion, and there is a group on Facebook (guess who the group administrator is- go figure) smirk

I had 35 friend requests today, LOL!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
I have profiles on both. Altho I check my facebook more regularly and have more true friends on there. Myspace seems to be geared towards the younger generation and musicians.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Angie, that's a hoot about the perpetual parties. I like that!

Facebook has been very good to me - i've been able to get my mother, all our family friends and tons of cousins/nieces on there. it's so nice to be reconnecting. not to mention all the old chums from elementary through high school. So neat!

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I connected with an old friend from work (my first job, aeons ago). He's got pictures posted. It makes it fun.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
There was an article in our paper today about Facebook and anti-social networking - sort of a contradiction I would think.

The last line included a hint about going to your friends page and creating a label for a group and setting the privacy settings for that group.

I love Myspace because I like updating my profile and reading my friends comments. I am starting to really like Twitter-I love the small word limit for updates. It really makes people get to the point!

Sarah Salas
Editor, Latin Music
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
ok...I'm breaking down and signing up for Facebook.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
Angie - I'd like to read that article. Can you post a link or the name of the newspaper. You can always PM me the info if you don't want it out on the forum.

Barbara Sharpe

B
Gecko
Gecko
B
Yay, Dianne! smile Add me as a friend, if you like. The email I used to sign up is dichotomous nature at gmail dot com (with no space between dichotomous and nature.)

Barbara Sharpe

S
Shark
Shark
S
I have a facebook and a my space. The facebook is personal and I really like it. I relocated about 3 yrs. ago so it is a way of keeping in touch without sending individual emails. I also have a my space page under Mike's sporting goods.
I don't even check it much.
Sundancer
www.mikessportingoods.ecrater.com

Y
Amoeba
Amoeba
Y
I have both, too. I don't really prefer either one. Most of my friends have moved more towards facebook. I usually just check in every once in a while and look for new pics and things like that. Though, I really don't like the facebook IM they have. If a friend sends a message as I am typing it messes it all up and I have to click it again to be able to type. I usually end up getting really angry! Am I the only one with that problem? Maybe it is my POS computer?!

yota
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Originally Posted By: Barbara Sharpe
Yay, Dianne! smile Add me as a friend, if you like. The email I used to sign up is dichotomous nature at gmail dot com (with no space between dichotomous and nature.)

Thank you Barbara!!!
I would love to add you as a friend. My sister is so funny...something along the lines of "it's about time" I guess as I slowly move into the...what century is this? smile
I will add it when I get back on the computer tonight, hopefully this evening. (Funny I can do forums from work, but they block the other social sites) If you don't see it by tomorrow night - you know I'm stuck again...but not to worry - silly me was up until midnight working on it. Have an awesome day!!!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
Dianne -

Weird how firewalls and stuff work, isn't it? I'll look for you over the weekend. IF I get online. Sometimes I ignore the computer all weekend long!

Barbara Sharpe

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Barbara,
Is it possible to ignore the computer all weekend? I try hard, but then I just end up turning it on and leaving it up on email while I clean my house.
Well, you have a wonderful weekend!!! And I hope to talk to you soon.
d

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.