Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Shark
Shark
B
My husband and I ARE Joe the Plumber (not literally, just financially) and Obama's answer to his question just doesn't cut it.

Both my husband and myself have multiple degrees that we worked very hard to obtain. We worked our way through college, took out student loans, and have worked very hard to build our businesses and careers to the point where we are now earning more than $250k a year. I repeat: We WORKED for what we have. NO one gave us anything. And the great thing about our country is that every American reading this post (with the exception of those limited due to medical circumstances) have the exact same opportunities as we have had. Every American can choose to make the same choices we made and be making the same income we are making.

Quote:
It's about time they paid their fair share of the taxes as well.

We paid more in income taxes last year than most people will make over the course of 3-5 years. We are in the highest tax bracket. Jase, how dare you say that we don't "pay our fair share." What did you pay in taxes last year? Obama wants to put us in the 50% tax bracket. How is that fair?

Quote:
Why are people so selfish?

Stephanie, how can you say we are selfish? We paid more in taxes last year than most people will make over the course of 3-5 years. What did you pay? Additionally, we contribute our time, services, and money to causes that WE deem worthy. Our businesses have created countless jobs for people over the years that have provided good salaries and health insurance for their families. We take great pride in hiring people with no skills and training them so that they have opportunities to build their own careers. And yet, Stephanie, you call us selfish. What jobs have you created? What people have you trained? What people have you personally provided health insurance for?

Quote:
Who says that those of us who are "lower classed" don't work as hard?

I am not going to say that we work any harder than anyone else because personally I don't know how hard you (Jase) or anyone else work. I will say that we work about 50-60 hours a week at our businesses and offices. We work an additional 20-30 hours at our home offices. My husband carries a beeper 24/7 and an on-call phone 24/7. We have chosen to make many personal sacrifices in order to reach our goals. Anyone reading this post can make the same choices and receive the same results.

No, Obama's answer to Joe the Plumber is just not acceptable. It's just not good enough.

Kay
Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
T
When talking to his 16 year old son about working and taxes, my husband pointed out to him that the FIRST FIVE MONTHS of his salary all go to taxes. Meaning he doesn't really make any money for 5 months of work because it all goes to pay taxes. I think that is kind of sad. We work hard too. My husband works full time, I work part time. He is a graduate student. I am an undergrad student. My oldest stepdaughter is an undergrad student. We have 4 other kids to put through college as well, assuming they choose to go. We have to take out student loans because "we make too much" to qualify for most help. If I was a single mom, I can guarantee I'd be rolling in the "free" money because I was a single mom and an undergrad several years ago and qualified for more grants and financial aid. I feel as though I am punished for getting married and assuming more responsibility. I am working harder now than when I was a single more and my costs are greater, but I am getting less help. Obama says he wants to help those in college, but it is going to require volunteer time. I have no problem with that, if he will allow time we volunteer within our church teaching and chaperoning and working in the community through the church as his volunteer time. But if I have to come up with additional time to get more help, I don't think I can. We are pushed to our limits as it is. That is why I get so upset to think later down the road we are going to be paying off all these educational loans for us and our kids and the government is going to think they can also take their share in the form of taxes to help those with less. When do I get help? Are they going to erase my student loan debts? I think there is going to be a huge group of people in the middle who are going to suffer because of this logic.

Michelle
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I like Joe the Plumber. If the network worked with him on his speaking (getting rid of saying 'You know' every few seconds), I think he could get his own show. Very knowledgeable guy that gives the opinions of the common man.
Sheryl, the Teacher

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Originally Posted By: bepart
My husband and I ARE Joe the Plumber (not literally, just financially) and Obama's answer to his question just doesn't cut it.

Both my husband and myself have multiple degrees that we worked very hard to obtain. We worked our way through college, took out student loans, and have worked very hard to build our businesses and careers to the point where we are now earning more than $250k a year. I repeat: We WORKED for what we have. NO one gave us anything. And the great thing about our country is that every American reading this post (with the exception of those limited due to medical circumstances) have the exact same opportunities as we have had. Every American can choose to make the same choices we made and be making the same income we are making.

Quote:
It's about time they paid their fair share of the taxes as well.

We paid more in income taxes last year than most people will make over the course of 3-5 years. We are in the highest tax bracket. Jase, how dare you say that we don't "pay our fair share." What did you pay in taxes last year? Obama wants to put us in the 50% tax bracket. How is that fair?

Quote:
Why are people so selfish?

Stephanie, how can you say we are selfish? We paid more in taxes last year than most people will make over the course of 3-5 years. What did you pay? Additionally, we contribute our time, services, and money to causes that WE deem worthy. Our businesses have created countless jobs for people over the years that have provided good salaries and health insurance for their families. We take great pride in hiring people with no skills and training them so that they have opportunities to build their own careers. And yet, Stephanie, you call us selfish. What jobs have you created? What people have you trained? What people have you personally provided health insurance for?

Quote:
Who says that those of us who are "lower classed" don't work as hard?

I am not going to say that we work any harder than anyone else because personally I don't know how hard you (Jase) or anyone else work. I will say that we work about 50-60 hours a week at our businesses and offices. We work an additional 20-30 hours at our home offices. My husband carries a beeper 24/7 and an on-call phone 24/7. We have chosen to make many personal sacrifices in order to reach our goals. Anyone reading this post can make the same choices and receive the same results.

No, Obama's answer to Joe the Plumber is just not acceptable. It's just not good enough.

Kay, its as simple as this: look at the BIG PICTURE! Imagine if things continue the way they are now and people can't get credit to continue paying "their employees" and big employers have to layh off all those "people" you've employed, soon, you won't have any customers and all of you and yours degrees and hard work will mean absolutely nothing. That time is coming, so as the plumber says, "pay me now or pay me later but you're gonna have to pay" sooner or later. Later will cost a lot more. Its the reality we all face.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
L
L
I have been looking at the big picture, I donot believe most of us are blind, but tolerant and want to do the right thing. And then you have those that want to take advantage. Look at Welfare, some examples of trends are the young girls that wanted to be part of a baby club in highschool, who paid for all of those children,look at the money spent on shelters for those that choose drugs,I live in Seattle. We have one of the highest amounts of money to fund homes for these individuals,You mite ask what does this have to do with any of it? The idea that the big picture does not place the individuals making bad choices, A consequence for their actions.

We just keep getting our taxes raised, and Obama (while I agree on some of his Issues and the spirit in which he speaks them) The idea that we should all bare the burden, I donot.I am 43, I worked hard to keep my relationship of my twenty year marriage,paid my bills,and when i did not have medical insurance, and had a 63000. Debt. I was told to just file bank ruptcy, I did not, My husband and I spent ten years paying this off, Because it was the right thing to do. Not to place the burden of my debt on the tax payers.

My father left when I was 3. My Mom had 3 children under eight, she was told to go on welfare,She did not, she worked and we worked, and we went without things, but we kept the family together. My Mom had her first home at 45, after she raised all of us.Her courage to face her choices, has been a blessing to me. It would not have had the impact, if it did not have the struggles and the triumph!

I watched three of my neighbors walk away from their homes. Most were under 35 years of age, brand new cars, brand new furniture. We will all be paying for their choice to have it all!

I'm in the middle of where to place my hope and trust in these Candidates. My family are Democrates, always have been. always will be! Maybe I lean to REPLUBICAN,beacuse I can!

My 9 year old son likes Obama, he thinks he's nice, My son's lil friend. Shifra, likes McCain, she heard he likes puppies,if only it was that simple, They don't argue about who's who. they helped me to understand,These two Men have good qualities, and they are not our fix. that will have to start at home. Thats just my opinion.Have a good day ladies.

B
Shark
Shark
B
Kimmie, the Big Picture to Obama's plan is exactly as you described: People will lose their jobs. The only way for businesses to offset Obama's tax increases are to cut expenses. The first item to cut will be wages.

My husband and I were driving down a street that was mixed with small businesses and houses. Most of the houses were rather run down and unkempt. We remarked about the fact that there were Obama signs in the yards of the small houses and McCain signs in the front of the small businesses. The businesses see the big picture. The people living in those houses do not. A lot of good an extra $1000 from Obama (or from me, I should say) is going to do them when their employer had to lay them off in order to offset the tax increases.

Kay
B
Shark
Shark
B
livetopaint and toddzgrrl002 - great posts!

Biden and Obama keep repeating that their wealth distribution plan "is fair" but they fail to explain 'why' it is fair. The bottom line is that if you choose to make sacrifices in order to do the right thing and create a better life for yourself and your family then it is not fair to have your rewards taken away from you simply because someone else did not want to make the same sacrifices.

What kind of country will we become if we reward people who make poor choices and penalize hard-working, successful people?

Kay
T
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
T
I heard today that businesses are already preparing to start layoffs when Obama is inaugurated in January due to his tax proposal. They are not willing to lose money so for them, the bottom line is laying off workers.

Michelle
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Hubby and I were discussing the taxing of businesses the other day - specifically the the taxing of the major oil companies.

Something that a lot of people don't seem to think about with businesses is that a business is not just going to "take" losing money (as many of you have notes with the layoffs.)

What most businesses do is turn around and pass off their loss of money to their customers by way of raised prices.

Businesses will find some way to make up their money loss. That is the purpose of a business, big or small, to make money. Job cute, raised prices, outsourcing to other countries, sub-standard quality, any or all of these are possibilities.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
N
N
Originally Posted By: bepart
Kimmie, the Big Picture to Obama's plan is exactly as you described: People will lose their jobs. The only way for businesses to offset Obama's tax increases are to cut expenses. The first item to cut will be wages.

My husband and I were driving down a street that was mixed with small businesses and houses. Most of the houses were rather run down and unkempt. We remarked about the fact that there were Obama signs in the yards of the small houses and McCain signs in the front of the small businesses. The businesses see the big picture. The people living in those houses do not. A lot of good an extra $1000 from Obama (or from me, I should say) is going to do them when their employer had to lay them off in order to offset the tax increases.

News Flash!!! The American people have been losing their jobs in record numbers. Not because Obama may become president. Inflation has been creaping higher without any signs of stabilizing. Families have been struggling more in the last 8 years than the past 50. Do any of you watch the news? Open your eyes and face the truth. Here's another news flash!! We are in a "Depression" and you can't admit it. You want this to not be true but the reality is they will never tell you. They know the majority of you will panic as you do when a hurricane is coming or a winter snowstorm.

Your insisting that things will become worse with Obama is laughable. They are already worse. Biggest bailout in U.S. history. If they get any worse than this what will you call it the "Tribulation?" You know this bailout won't work and so do I.
Here's something to think about. Why does John McCain always come with a plan after Obama's? McCain's is always similar to Obama. Coincidence. I think not. He is full of "Razzle Dazzle."

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.